8/14 -- Nationals vs Orioles

SteveA

With Mayo, you can see the tools and the athleticism.  I'm not ready to pencil him in to third base because of Westburg...but I can see where he could be really good if he gets good instruction and works hard at it. 

IIRC, Wade Boggs was a butcher when he came up but worked very hard at it and won a couple Gold Gloves.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

With Mayo, you can see the tools and the athleticism.  I'm not ready to pencil him in to third base because of Westburg...but I can see where he could be really good if he gets good instruction and works hard at it. 

IIRC, Wade Boggs was a butcher when he came up but worked very hard at it and won a couple Gold Gloves.  

Back then hitting was a pretty big part of winning a gold glove.

Do you think the Oriole minor league defensive instruction is lacking?

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Of course he won Gold Gloves around the same time as Rafeal Palmeiro was winning them despite only playing 24 games in the field. In other words, the bat mattered back then even though it was not supposed to. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Back then hitting was a pretty big part of winning a gold glove.

Do you think the Oriole minor league defensive instruction is lacking?

Modern metrics say Boggs was good defender.