WC Playoff roster vs KC

eddie83

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think we even have another position player worth rostering.  Mayo isn’t ready it appears. I would probably go with the extra pitcher over him at this point.

Yeah, I wasn't questioning it. I didn't quote them but I was referring to the idea of including Suarez as a 12th pitcher. 

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Wondering the same thing. Gotta be something about his pitch mix and the Royals to pitch him over Bowman, for example. Think the key takeaway just might be a much better SO/9 rate.

Selby has better stuff (which has improved since joining org) and perhaps a better arsenal for lefties, but shaky command makes me nervous in playoff pressure cooker.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hyde said Selby made it because of matchups and stuff.

What i don't get is, if they feel this way about Selby, why hasn't he been on the 26 man roster all this time?  Is he supposed to be a "secret weapon"?

I don't get it either. My best guess is the only scenario they would use him is extra innings and they wanted a high K guy to get that first out and go for the win. 

44 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I get that but that still doesn't change the fact that they are a better team with him available. To burn him in a game that doesn't matter seems shortsighted. There is no ALDS unless they win the WCS. 

Who do you swap him for then?

48 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I get that but that still doesn't change the fact that they are a better team with him available. To burn him in a game that doesn't matter seems shortsighted. There is no ALDS unless they win the WCS. 

We're trying to win the world series. Having Suarez rested if needed for playoff game 4 gives us the best chance of doing that. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

We're trying to win the world series. Having Suarez rested if needed for playoff game 4 gives us the best chance of doing that. 

At this point I think the emphasis should be winning a game, then a series, then ....

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I guess we just disagree (which is fine). I think that you can't take anything for granted and that you have to win each series. Suarez available to pitch in the WCS gives them a better chance to advance than not having him available. If you don't need him, don't pitch him and you've lost nothing. If you need him and don't have him then you are screwed. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I guess we just disagree (which is fine). I think that you can't take anything for granted and that you have to win each series. Suarez available to pitch in the WCS gives them a better chance to advance than not having him available. If you don't need him, don't pitch him and you've lost nothing. If you need him and don't have him then you are screwed. 

I don't think they like the matchup with the Royals for him. Suarez doesn't strike people out, allows hard contact, and is an extreme flyball pitcher. The Royals never strike out and hit the ball hard in the air.

17 minutes ago, Malike said:

Who do you swap him for then?

On Sunday I would have brought someone up to start and then burned Suarez in relief if the starter struggled. DFA Bowman or Selby.

WCS: Replace Selby with Suarez.

19 minutes ago, Malike said:

I think it's important to note that Suarez has pitched 202.5 innings including winter ball. He has helped this team immensely, but he was clearly losing some steam in September. 

He looked pretty damn good on Sunday!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't think they like the matchup with the Royals for him. Suarez doesn't strike people out, allows hard contact, and is an extreme flyball pitcher. The Royals never strike out and hit the ball hard in the air.

Maybe but they didn't know who they were playing when they burned him on Sunday. At the end of they day, it's probably not going to matter but I just don't think it is good roster management. They are not in the playoffs without Suarez so It seem silly to burn him on a meaningless game. That is just my opinion. It's cool if people have a different one. 

Just now, MCO'sFan said:

He looked pretty damn good on Sunday!

The Twins offense had been absolutely abysmal for a long time. They were 17 games over .500 at one point then couldn't score a run to save their lives and went into a free fall.

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

Maybe but they didn't know who they were playing when they burned him on Sunday. At the end of they day, it's probably not going to matter but I just don't think it is good roster management. They are not in the playoffs without Suarez so It seem silly to burn him on a meaningless game. That is just my opinion. It's cool if people have a different one. 

If this WC series comes down to we lost by not having Suarez on the roster we have much bigger problems than we'd thought.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I don't think it's really taking anything for granted. We have 9 guys in the bullpen for a three game series. In an ideal world we use 4, maybe 5. A lot of teams are using 11 pitchers (8 bullpen). The use case for Selby/Suarez would be an emergency situation where the game is likely lost anyway. Even in that situation you still want to keep Suarez fresh rather than burn him in a game you are likely to lose. In the meantime, use the roster spot for a guy you might actually pitch. We are trading maybe .0001% WPA for the wild card series for 5-10% WPA of the divisional should we get there. 

That being said, I'm surprised it's Selby over Bowman.