Is Matt Wieters >Adley?

bub668

13 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

A thing of note, he had that back issue in the middle of August, but on July 27th, he was hit on the hand during the Rangers game. At that point in time, he was batting 300 with an 830 OPS. The 2 weeks leading up to that, he was batting 309 with a near 900 OPS. So, it's not like he was struggling when he was hit.

In the 2 weeks of games after: 120 batting average, 519 OPS. And we all know how he's been month to month the remaining months.

So, the big question: how much did that play into it? Probably a combination of a long grueling season, hand injury, and the back issue. 

Even looking at Adley last year full season, he struggled in June (660 OPS), but then followed that up with the following OPS's in July, August, and September respectively: 776, 770, 922.

I really think this is something nagging. An amazing hitter like Adley doesn't just completely fall off a cliff like that. And certainly not at 26 y/o.

I don't like hearing that a catcher has a back issue -no matter how big or how small it is- at age 26.  

Yeah if he’s not hurt, that’s extremely concerning not just for this year but for the franchises future too. They have Basallo, but when you have the best catcher in the league from 2022 through the first half of this year that is a lynchpin in the 2 hole of your lineup and he starts hitting like a bad backup catcher, that’s not really something you can overcome. The team being successful hinges on Adley being a top catcher. The lineup and team aren’t the same without him performing well.

6 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Right now Geronimo Gil is better than Adley.  But I'm not gonna kick Adley while he's down.  Let him get a reset, work on some things in the offseason, and hope that this 2nd half ends up being just an aberration in a good career.

I would never have guessed that.  🤔  

image.thumb.png.0ba324c861cd92858f58bde464fa34d9.png

I don't believe he's hurt, if he was he couldn't play catcher all these games and  the Orioles would have put him on the disabled/ injured list.

He's an awful defensive catcher all year, which you couldn't talk about apparently, and now he's equally offensive, offensively.

7 hours ago, joelala said:

Ah ok. Yea I think it’s gotta be something. I wonder if there’s a way to see first half avg bat speed vs. second half. Can’t compare his 14th percentile bat speed this season to season’s past cuz it’s a new metric this year. 

I know you can do monthly splits with the new Bat Speed stuff on Savant this year.

Mid-September I was poking around and noticed Cedric Mullins's fast swing rate was down to 0.0%.    It seemed to me like some of his run might have been choosing for a little more bat control.

Adley's then 6.4% fast swing rate for the year included a dip to 4.2% in July and a spike to 9.3% in August.

I'm hated in my friend group right now bc when I saw the Adley TikTok videos with his new girl doing Carls jr reviews in the early part of his elongated slump, I stated very clearly he sux now bc he's a Simp. 

He is a huge Simp now and a narcissist girl can absolutely destroy a life, which I think is the case here

Been using terms like "Sadly Buttman," "Simply Suxmann," Adley with another "Simp Job" etc etc. Also, Adley is such a simp in juxtaposition to the badassness if McCann too

Trade him this offseason for pitching, resign McCann (who I have nicknamed Downtown James) and start grooming Basallo for the job 

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

To be fair, Adley's second half OPS of .585 could make you wish we had Geronimo Gil to trot out there...

To be fair, since Gil's career OPS is .613, (only .28 points higher than Adley's second half .585) its almost a certainty that Gil spent plenty of time hitting quite a bit worse.  In 2005, for example, his OPS was just .532.