Rosenthal: O's more willing to deal Baez and Sherrill

JTrea81

All these stats that try to point out how lucky a players is (hitter or pitcher) are meaningless to me. I don't think you can throw a bunch of guys in a barrell that hit various marks on the FIP or BAPIP scale and try to come up with some medium range of what is considered average and compare everyone to that number and make a determination where they are... Not that you think so mind you... just expressing my opinion... that kind of relativity factor presumes a lot of things that nobody knows are true.

Most of these are projection stats. But I'm with you...did he get the job done or not? To me, that's what matters looking back. Looking forward is a different story.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question got answered in the MLBTR chat! It's just another semi-informed opinion to add to the pile, but it confirms my opinion:

3:16

[Comment From Oscar]

Does George Sherrill get Chris Davis?

3:16

Sherrill's good, but the Rangers aren't going to give up a key park of their future for a reliever of his calibre, even if they have Smoak in the minors

Also, tons of Orioles questions showing up in the chat. Just another reminder that we're fighting our way back onto the map.

My question got answered in the MLBTR chat! It's just another semi-informed opinion to add to the pile, but it confirms my opinion:

Also, tons of Orioles questions showing up in the chat. Just another reminder that we're fighting our way back onto the map.

The question is, do the Rangers view him as a key part to their future?

Are they scared off by the K's and poor contact rate?

The question is, do the Rangers view him as a key part to their future?

Are they scared off by the K's and poor contact rate?

Not scared, but they are fed up. Just not sure they will want to promote Smoak in the middle of a pennant race. They do have Blalock to play first, if Davis is traded without bringing Smoak up.

The other questions would have to be, would AM want to take on that type of project, since you couldn't have both him and Pie sitting the bench for too long, rotting away (to an extent).

I assume Davis is out of options? ;)

Yea i think elsid makes a great point. This team doesn't seem able to support a Felix Pie experiment and a Chris Davis experiment simultaneously. Granted, it seems like the Pie experiment is basically over. MAYBE if we could move huff we could play with Davis for a couple of months and see if he can figure it out.

I'm sure the Rangers and their fans project all kinds of improvement out of Davis, since he's only 23. But his career line stands at .254/.305/.501. Ton of power, but his K:BB ratio is U-G-L-Y, 180:34.

I wouldn't give him up for a middling closer, either, but he's going to have real problems being an offensive plus striking out 40% of the time and never walking.

We have nothing in the minors that is close to coming up here and closing. Chris Ray has been erratic.

That is something we may have to trade for.

Exactly!! And we already have a very good closer so why trade him away?

The logic of trading away a valuable piece to get another one or two potentially less valuable pieces has always escaped me. I understand the "stock-piling talent" theory, but this team has some starting pitchers who are on the cusp of breaking out. We need guys like Baez, Johnson and Sherrill NOW to lock down wins for these kids to boost their confidence, and to build confidence in the team as a whole.

Exactly!! And we already have a very good closer so why trade him away?

The logic of trading away a valuable piece to get another one or two potentially less valuable pieces has always escaped me. I understand the "stock-piling talent" theory, but this team has some starting pitchers who are on the cusp of breaking out. We need guys like Baez, Johnson and Sherrill NOW to lock down wins for these kids to boost their confidence, and to build confidence in the team as a whole.

If a guy like Davis can fix what is wrong with his swing to get back to being that .850+ OPS player at 1B, he'd be more valuable than George Sherrill to the Orioles. Keep in mind Davis was in MLB putting up those stats at Brandon Snyder's age. There is a ton of potential with him.

If Crowley thinks he can fix his swing, I think MacPhail would do that. I'd rather see if we can get him for Baez obviously.

And you've got to deal Baez because you get nothing for him at the end of the season. Better to get a B prospect for him that can help your organizational depth than nothing at all.

Davis has four options remaining I believe as he was added to the 40 man roster in 2008.

It's been a while, but I did look at Davis' MiL numbers at one point and the K rate was pretty terrible down there too. If acquired, I'd want him sent to the minors to work on that aspect of his game. It could take 2 years, but it could be worth it.

If a guy like Davis can fix what is wrong with his swing to get back to being that .850+ OPS player at 1B, he'd be more valuable than George Sherrill to the Orioles. Keep in mind Davis was in MLB putting up those stats at Brandon Snyder's age. There is a ton of potential with him.

If Crowley thinks he can fix his swing, I think MacPhail would do that. I'd rather see if we can get him for Baez obviously.

And you've got to deal Baez because you get nothing for him at the end of the season. Better to get a B prospect for him that can help your organizational depth than nothing at all.

Fix? What do you mean fix? You think you can teach a guy how to tell the difference between a ball and a strike at 24? Maybe we could hire Sammy Sosa as a coach.

Maybe I'm a little too down on this guy, but even in the minors his strike zone was his shoes to his hat. He produced by hitting like .450 on balls in play. He won't do that in the majors.

Given the fact that Davis has options apparently, I see absolutely 0 downside to getting him. Have him and Snyder go out in a parking lot in Norfolk and settle the score. One of them should be ready to take the reigns at 1b soon.

Archived