Rosenthal on Sherrill

JTrea81

I think the point that KR was trying to convey was that the Marlins would not trade him for Sherrill. They might trade him for something else, but not Sherrill. Similarly, the Cubs didn't want to trade Pie for Roberts last year but may have used him in a deal for a frontline starter.

I get that...But Coghlan isn't likely to fetch you much more than an AS caliber closer.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's an odd thing to say about a 24 year old player. Coghlan was a 3B in college and might be a better fit there than 2B defensively. As with most young players, I think you might expect a little more power down the road.

I am sure he will show some more power...My only point is he looks to be a 15 homer guy at best(on average)...He is going to be an OBP/doubles guy I would guess....which is fine.

I would love to add his OBP to our lineup.

I would guess we could get Gaby Sanchez in a deal for Sherrill...He is a very good defensive first baseman...Has good plate discipline and decent power...Doesn't look like he will ever be a 25+ homer guy but could provide similar power to Snyder but provide better defense and a higher OBP.

Now, I don't think I would deal Sherrill straight up for Sanchez and I am almost certain AM wouldn't...So, what else could they put with Sanchez to make a deal worthwhile?

Coghlan is a good young player at a position where the O's need to find a replacement. Do you figure that adding someone like a Zagone or let's say Xavier Avery to Sherill would get the deal done? Both of those guys have shown flashes of potential, but are still in the low minors.

If we could get something like that done, I'd be all for the trade.

Coghlan is a very good target for us to be going after. He's been on my radar for about 2 years now and he's lived up to his billing so far in his rookie year. Now I don't necessarily think he has the bat you would expect for a corner infielder, but I don't see why he can't be a Mark DeRosa or Ben Zobrist in the future.

Coghlan is a good young player at a position where the O's need to find a replacement. Do you figure that adding someone like a Zagone or let's say Xavier Avery to Sherill would get the deal done? Both of those guys have shown flashes of potential, but are still in the low minors.

I would include Zagone in a heartbeat, Avery definitely not.

They are two very different pieces. Zagone is probably no more than a fringe MLB pitcher at best. Avery's ceiling is higher but farther off. He is having a good year of full-season ball at age 19.

I have always liked Coghlan but it seems odd to me that the Marlins are holding on to him this tightly.

He was one of the many second baseman I preferred to have over the next 6 years vs extending BRob.

He is a very good OBP guy...Gap power. He is also from Maryland.

But he is 24 already...Not that he is old by any stretch, just saying he likely is what he is right now.

What is his defense at third like?

Oh well, the Marlins don't want to deal him, so whatever..Doesn't matter.

I understand why the Marlins value him so highly; he is young, no red flags in the MiL record, has succeeded at every level, is hitting well right out of the gate in the majors, he is cheap and under control for a long time.

All told, as a type, that's probably the most valuable commodity in MLB today.

He could hold down 3B for the O's right now, and he still has room to grow (metaphorically). I could see him improving for the next 2-3 years.

Guest rochester
This really won't be the case after this year though.

Now really is the perfect time to deal Sherrill...His value is probably higher now than last deadline and his salary is on the cusp of being high.

Sell high! Without a doubt this is the peak of his value...

I am sure he will show some more power...My only point is he looks to be a 15 homer guy at best(on average)...He is going to be an OBP/doubles guy I would guess....which is fine.

I would love to add his OBP to our lineup.

You down with OBP (Yeah you know me) 3X

Who's down with OBP (Every last homie)

You down with OBP (Yeah you know me) 3X

Who's down with OBP (All the homies)

/so sorry

//:D

No way should we even consider adding Avery to any deal! I think he has a chance to be our top position prospect by as early as next season when Snyder gets promoted.

This really won't be the case after this year though.

Now really is the perfect time to deal Sherrill...His value is probably higher now than last deadline and his salary is on the cusp of being high.

I do think his value is extremely high right now, so you are right about that. I would not say his salary is on the cusp of being high, depending on your definition of the term. My guess is he would make $4-5 mm next year. Of course, the fact that his salary is not astronomical is part of what makes him an attractive trade target for another team.

I understand why the Marlins value him so highly; he is young, no red flags in the MiL record, has succeeded at every level, is hitting well right out of the gate in the majors, he is cheap and under control for a long time.

All told, as a type, that's probably the most valuable commodity in MLB today.

He could hold down 3B for the O's right now, and he still has room to grow (metaphorically). I could see him improving for the next 2-3 years.

I am not tyring to downplay Coghlan as a player or a valuable commodity but they seem to have the depth to be able to deal him.

If they feel they can win this year and feel Sherrill is a big missing piece to that, i am just surprised that Coghlan isn't available for him..if that is indeed what it will take to get Sherrill.

I do think his value is extremely high right now, so you are right about that. I would not say his salary is on the cusp of being high, depending on your definition of the term. My guess is he would make $4-5 mm next year. Of course, the fact that his salary is not astronomical is part of what makes him an attractive trade target for another team.

Its not a very high salary but its high enough where if he doesn't end the season strong for the second straight year, it will be very tough to move him for good value next year....It would eliminate some teams as well.

Coghlan was around ninth in the BA preseason Top 10 for the Marlins - behind a bat I really like - Gaby Sanchez. Rated higher than both is 3B prospect and 2007 first rounder Matt Dominguez - not sure how he is doing this year.

The Fish want GS to close. IMO, we have every right to expect GS to yield at least one top 10 prospect and another B level prospect.

If the Fish are as serious about GS as it sounds, our FO should be able to craft a deal to acquire some attractive parts of a strong farm system.

I am not tyring to downplay Coghlan as a player or a valuable commodity but they seem to have the depth to be able to deal him.

If they feel they can win this year and feel Sherrill is a big missing piece to that, i am just surprised that Coghlan isn't available for him..if that is indeed what it will take to get Sherrill.

In terms of his value to the Marlins this season, I guess the question would be who replaces him in LF. They have talked about giving Brett Carroll more playing time, but I don't know that they would be willing to make him a regular OFer if they are trying to win this year.

Archived