Could Manny finally get traded?

Blue Fielder

Manny has one year left on his contract with two option years. He has sat late in the season the last two years and would make a great DH for someone.

Jacoby Ellsbury has come into the majors like gangbusters and will be a better defensive player. While not a power hitter he is very fast, a base stealer and already has shown he can hit major league pitching.

I could see the Sox trading Manny, especially if A-Rod opts out and the Sox go hard for his bat.

I doubt the Sox would want to trade Manny in the AL, but I am sure a lot of teams would be interested in him with his contract finally nearing an end. He may require someone to renogotiate his contract to include the option years (not that they would necessarily pay him the option price, but three more years at a lower annual rate could be attractive).

Any thoughts on this?

to be honest, I'm a half redsox fan, and yeah Manny should be traded or we should drop Lowell, put Youk in 3B, put Ortiz in 1B and put Manny as DH. That's really the only way we could keep Manny. Right now, Manny's only taking up space where Ellsbury could use.

I think the Sox would love to sign Lowell to a one year deal, but he will be able to get more years somewhere else. Perhaps with the Angels or even the Twins if he is willing to take a paycut for more years.

If the Red Sox feel A-Rod will opt out, Lowell is gone and Manny's salary will be a bit much for the luxury tax. They seemed to have a lot of talks last winter, but no one wanted to give up a lot. His contract is a lot more manageable now. The Sox are pushing for youth, speed and defense with each passing year. Ellsbury, Coco and Lugo could make them the new go go Sox.

Not if he had A-rod backing him up. He is now a better hitter than Manny although Manny has been big in big games. With the year A-rod is having, I think he would be nuts not to opt out, especially with Boras as his agent.

Ortiz can't play first base, his knees are so bad right now he can barely DH. He is a decent 1B for his size, but he can't handle playing everyday. During interleague yes, during a world series in a NL park, yes. But not everyday.

I suppose it will come down to if Manny is able to come back strong in the playoffs what his trade value would be, but he is definately no Mr. September.

Archived