Opening Day Reactions

isestrex

Obviously sucked to leave so many guys on base and to blow it at the end, but there were some positives and more importantly, it's just one game. No need to already be calling anyone a bust.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For a while, I thought Tony-OH might have pulled the plug on the place in disgust, not that I would blame him in the least.;)
I thought something like that as well :laughlol:

I thought that too--and i'm glad it did go down, I had a post typed up that didn't make it through that would have gotten me an infraction, maybe even a vacation. :eek: That would have been the last thing I needed a cool 4 days before I hang out with a bunch of you at Hangout Night.

Yes, but why? Why was he running on contact with 0 outs and runners on the corners with the top of your order coming up?

Possibly to force a play. Or maybe there was a failure to communicate and he was expecting to run on a bunt.

I'm not trying to justify or defend it. Just thinking out loud for a possibility :P

I thought that too--and i'm glad it did go down, I had a post typed up that didn't make it through that would have gotten me an infraction, maybe even a vacation. :eek: That would have been the last thing I needed a cool 4 days before I hang out with a bunch of you at Hangout Night.

I'm positive you weren't the only one :D

I don't underastand it. And why not pinch run for him there.

You shouldn't have to in that situation really. I wouldn't argue if they did however.

If Longoria fields that ball cleanly, the best thing that happens is that he is out in a rundown. No reason to break for home on a hard hit ball to the left side of the infield. Poor decision on Atkins' part, you don't run on contact there so it's not coming from the dugout.

You shouldn't have to in that situation really. I wouldn't argue if they did however.

If Longoria fields that ball cleanly, the best thing that happens is that he is out in a rundown. No reason to break for home on a hard hit ball to the left side of the infield. Poor decision on Atkins' part, you don't run on contact there so it's not coming from the dugout.

It may very well have been Atkins fault, but I thought that during plays such as that... the 3B coach... well, he coaches the runner on third what to do in each situation. Reminding him what to do if it's hit on the ground and to the left, etc.

I could be wrong. I was really surprised to see him take off when the ball was hit to third though.

Obviously the things that sticks out the most are all the Runners left on Base. Just terrible situational hitting. If Tejada is going to continue to hit like that he needs to be moved in the lineup. I know its just on game but he didn't come through and he just shouldn't be there. Also I don't understand why Atkins was sent home since Longoria was playing in. That was terrible. Last thing is Gonzo. He just couldn't get his pitches down. I honestly think he will be fine and work it out, but I am still concerned.

Like people have said there are positives though. Jones coming out hitting like that, Wieters HR, Millwood having a solid start, the bullpen was great (especially Johnson and Albers) until Gonzo.

It may very well have been Atkins fault, but I thought that during plays such as that... the 3B coach... well, he coaches the runner on third what to do in each situation. Reminding him what to do if it's hit on the ground and to the left, etc.

I could be wrong. I was really surprised to see him take off when the ball was hit to third though.

No one is going to tell Atkins to run on a ground ball to third with no outs. I honestly think he thought the bases were loaded.

He'll have a good lead on the pitch and if the ball is to the right side, it's worth the gamble. I don't remember the count but that's important as well. You'll anticipate a fastball in a fastball count and expect the ball to be put in play.

On a hard hit ground ball right at you, you're heading back to the bag.

I understand the fact that decision-making is entirely different without the benefit of hindsight. Sometimes, I feel like a team should just have a few guys in a booth, that periodically say things like "You know, we have Lugo here to pinch-run."

edit: Or that Milwood was clearly done. At the end of the fifth, I posted, Great debut by Milwood! I just assumed that there was no way that he was coming back out.

I understand the fact that decision-making is entirely different without the benefit of hindsight. Sometimes, I feel like a team should just have a few guys in a booth, that periodically say things like "You know, we have Lugo here to pinch-run."

They have them. They're called coaches, and the manager is really more likely to listen to them than to some guys in a booth :P

No one is going to tell Atkins to run on a ground ball to third with no outs. I honestly think he thought the bases were loaded.

He'll have a good lead on the pitch and if the ball is to the right side, it's worth the gamble. I don't remember the count but that's important as well. You'll anticipate a fastball in a fastball count and expect the ball to be put in play.

On a hard hit ground ball right at you, you're heading back to the bag.

It's just a shame we have to be talking about this. If Gonzalez gets 3 outs- we're celebrating- and the Rays fans are arguing over why Navarro ran with Markakis fielding the ball.

Bottom line, players make coaches and decisions look good. Period. Sometimes the right decision doesn't work out. And sometimes bad decisions do. I personally don't find fault with anything today, other than execution.

Atkins running- I just think he was off the bag and instincts took him home. His fault, not Trembley. That's why a solid closer is so important- they cover up a lot of mistakes.

How long have you been an Orioles fan?

Ha, ha. Well, Moose, I was born in 1979 and my first word was, literally "O's." Never mind the fact that I was eating Cheerios at the time.

I have been a lifelong Orioles fan, but, amazingly enough, I still get my hopes crushed like a schoolboy.

Sometimes I wish I could watch a game and not get that jittery, nervous feeling, but it's in my blood.

They have them. They're called coaches, and the manager is really more likely to listen to them than to some guys in a booth :P

I meant coaches, but in an NFL sense, "Staff."

edit: I mean, there are bench coaches, but they see/hear nothing differently than than the manager. Maybe it would help to have someone with access to on-hand technology, like monitors or computers during the game.

Archived