Opening Day Reactions

isestrex

Is there anyone who watched the game that didn't mumble to themselves when we didn't get runners in from scoring position throughout the game....:"I hope not getting that guy in from 3rd or 2nd doesn't hurt us in the ninth inning?

Did anyone say to themselves.....Atkins is probably going to get thrown out at home......or.......if he runs on a ball hit to third with none out Samuel needs to go......now not later......now! How many times have we seen this play before? You know what......we will see it again. Did Samuel comment on the play in the 9th inning with Atkins getting thrown out?

Some things never change. This loss was like a Ravens loss to me in the last quarter of a game. I didn't comment last night because I was mad and didn't want to say the wrong thing. I'm still upset this morning but I'll get over it....161 more to go. I'll be at Opening Day and I know we will be better this season

I think DT needs to get a good luck charm. Can somebody find one for him? If Tejada was playing for the Yankees or Red Sox last night in the 9th inning his smash to LF would have sailed over the LF'S head or bounced past him. It's a game of inches......and we need a change of luck in 2010.

"Go Orioles"

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't sleep until 3 AM last night due to the loss, but I'm trying to keep things in perspective. I've said before that I care more about the performance of the young core than I do about wins and losses per se this season, and last night the O's youngsters were collectively outstanding--Markakis, Wieters, Pie, Jones, JJ, Albers.

Too bad the old farts were mostly terrible, Millwood and Scott excepted. Brian Roberts had a terrible game. He was as much to blame as anyone for the situational hitting woes and defensively he didn't show much range on balls hit to either side. Of course Roberts has a good excuse, but unfortunately the fact remains that he's going to be hurting the team until he's had enough at bats to get his swing going.

I was impressed.

1) Everyone should see that the O's have a cleanup hitter and a leader in the making with Adam Jones. He has been slugging all spring and did I when it counted today. He is speaking out to the media and I feel sure he is doing it in the clubhouse. I want runners on board in front of Adam. Switch Adam and Miggi in the lineup.

2) I am concerned about Nick and Miggi. There is a ban on guns in baseball and Nick and Miggi both had them on display last night. What a throw from Markakis.

3) Scott does not want to sit. Slammed that homer.

4) 3 homers on Opening Day. That's good to see. Especially from Wieters who started slow in ST.

5) Pitching was very good until Gonzo. He gets some more chances before there is too much concern.

On the other side of things.

1) Why didn't Trembley pinch run for Atkins in the ninth? What is the use to have a bench if you are not going to use it. Lugo should have been in there.

Good points. Lugo would have made it close. AJ and Matt were awesome to watch live. Matt just golfed that one out of there and it was gone from the get-go. Luke's was smoked also. Matt was also robbed by Upton but he had it all the way. Nick's throw home was so beautiful to see live, I was sitting up and behind the O's dugout. He scooped the hit and threw a BB home. Miggi's arm was also impressive. The play when he cut in front of Izzy was well done.

IMHO, on Pie's throw home, it was up the right field line and Matt had to snatch and tag. If the throw was more on the left field line he was dead. The ball had him beat, but it had to be perfect. Matt had that happen at least one time last year. I really don't blame him. He wasn't charged with an error. He's a big guy and finesse (required for that tag) is not one of his strong points.

BRob is slowly getting it together but he looks a step slow in the field. If he continues to be healthy, he will improve. His batting is still a work in progress but he didn't look over matched to me.

I think we found out last night why Rafael Soriano did most of the closing for Atlanta last year.

Soriano looked terrible too! He got lucky on Tejada's screaming liner...and he gave up a leadoff double to Garrett Freaking Atkins! (I'm sure that epithet was hurled around dozens of living rooms in the Tampa/St Pete area last night during the top of the 9th) He didn't get a borderline call early in his outing and he spent the rest of the inning pouting and laboring.

Lugo doesn't make it close. Nobody in the MLB makes it close. Longoria was playing in, and even with the bobble, that was a dead mans play. Can't go back, might as well try to make home.

Exactly. Ball like that bit right at third and if the runner has any kind of lead he's gonna be out. Especially if it's hit almost right behind him and close to the basepath.

Overall, I liked what I saw from the O's. I'm not concerned much with the RISP problem, as any team will have that problem from time to time over a season.

They had a lead and were holding it all the way through, so if your offense isn't getting any insurance, then the pitching has to make sure that close lead stays that way.

Gonzalez (I won't call him a cute nickname until he shows something better) looked to be throwing grapefruit up there (fitting for Florida), and seemed to throw "fastballs" that kept moving further and further into the wheelhouse.

That's where this game was to be decided, IMO. The O's had a lead, and the person who's put out there to protect that didn't.

Beyond that, they look good. They played well for the most part.

I think we found out last night why Rafael Soriano did most of the closing for Atlanta last year.

I was impressed with how he pitched out of his own trouble. If I'm recalling this correctly, he went 3-0 to Tejada with the bases loaded. I don't blame Miggy for taking two strikes there (not to mention he TAGGED the ball hit put in play), but I'm impressed with how Soriano battled back...

That's where this game was to be decided, IMO. The O's had a lead, and the person who's put out there to protect that didn't.

Beyond that, they look good. They played well for the most part.

I don't disagree. And, as I mentioned earlier, of course you always hand the ball to your closer expecting him to hold the lead. However, I'd like to see them do a little better with RISP and less than two outs. To me, it's one thing not to get a clutch, two-out hit. Those things will even out. It's something completely different not making productive outs that can advance runners/drive in runs. That's discipline and fundamentals more than anything else.

I don't disagree. And' date=' as I mentioned earlier, of course you always hand the ball to your closer expecting him to hold the lead. However, I'd like to see them do a little better with RISP and less than two outs. To me, it's one thing not to get a clutch, two-out hit. Those things will even out. It's something completely different not making productive outs that can advance runners/drive in runs. That's discipline and fundamentals more than anything else.[/quote']

I'm with you on this, definitely. Hopefully, with both the runners and the closer, those are things with the O's that will be corrected and be things they will get better at as the season continues.

But, I will say for the record that Gonzalez just scared me, seeing how he pitches. I didn't care for that at all.

I'm with you on this, definitely. Hopefully, with both the runners and the closer, those are things with the O's that will be corrected and be things they will get better at as the season continues.

But, I will say for the record that Gonzalez just scared me, seeing how he pitches. I didn't care for that at all.

Same here. It was familiar for me to see him get into trouble (Sherrill), but I guess he doesn't have the same capacity to work out of it.

I wasn't too impressed with the new closer, but I guess we have to give him more than one game.

Atkins on the other hand...

I'm ready to have as many offensive weapons in the lineup as possible. I'd love to see Reimold, Scott, and Pie somehow in the game at the same time.

No one is going to tell Atkins to run on a ground ball to third with no outs. I honestly think he thought the bases were loaded.

He'll have a good lead on the pitch and if the ball is to the right side, it's worth the gamble. I don't remember the count but that's important as well. You'll anticipate a fastball in a fastball count and expect the ball to be put in play.

On a hard hit ground ball right at you, you're heading back to the bag.

THIS!

With less then 2 outs the runner on 3rd never really runs on contact. Even Carl Crawford only runs if the ball gets past the pitcher.

In this case, running on contact means a ground ball to SS or 2B. And why would Atkins be running on contact anyway? He isn't fast enough to even beat out a sharp grounder to SS.

I think Atkins just screwed it up. Just like he screwed up with runners on 2nd and 3rd and swung at a first pitch in his eyes for a infield poppop. That was terrible.

Kangaroo Court should hit him hard.

Archived