Opening Day Reactions

isestrex

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone else not understand the decision to send Atkins with 0 outs and runners on the corner to a ball hit to the 3B? That was stupid, especially considering Longoria was playing in.
I don't understand it. And why not pinch run for him there. This game was maddening. Any body but Wieters in front of Pie when he doubles, and he scores and Felix is on 3B. Or they both score if Pie's hit is a foot higher. But Atkins' pop up with men on 2B and 3B and no outs was the killer. Or thge two balls that Upton got to that nobody else gets to.

Does anyone else not understand the decision to send Atkins with 0 outs and runners on the corner to a ball hit to the 3B? That was stupid, especially considering Longoria was playing in.

He was going on contact. Unless that ball is hit in the air, he's not stopping.

The focus on situational hitting and fundamentals won't matter one bit if the coaches doing the instructing aren't fundamentally sound themselves in their decision making. I've got very little faith at this point in this coaching staff to retain their jobs through the season. It's just one night, but with all the talk about improved focus on situational hitting, and an emphasis on winning, they sure did wet the bed tonight.

There were a few questionable decisions, but the long and short of it is, sometimes closers blow leads. Great hitters fail in clutch situations 2 out of 3 times. It just sucks to have it happen on Opening Day, but half the teams in the majors lose their opener.

I don't underastand it. And why not pinch run for him there.

Very good point. PR Lugo and put in Wiggy for defense the next inning. A short medium fly ball might not score Atkins but it probably would Lugo.

I'm guessing that was a Samuel play. Telling him to run on contact, but that's just plain stupid.

Whatever happened to patience at the plate? I thought they swung at the first pitch too much. Make Tampa Bay pitch to them!

That was all the 1st and 2nd inning. They held back. Shields only went 6 innings. That wasn't the problem at all. Being aggressive you would at least expect to lead to more hits with RISP. Just a classic game of blown opportunities and saves.

The only silver lining is that we usually seem to win and look great on Opening Day- but where does that lead? While an early confidence boost would be great for sure... the opportunity this represents may be even greater. If the team can rebound from a heartbreaking loss like this early on- I think the confidence instilled from that will be even greater than has we won today.

Archived