MLB needs to pick up the offense

JTrea81

We've had three perfect games (and yes I'm counting tonight's) this year. If that doesn't say the offense is down all over the league I don't know what does.

If MLB goes back to the 1980's era of offense, I think it risks losing a big chunk of attendance. Sure watching pitching is entertaining as is the defensive plays, but offense and especially the HR is a huge part of baseball.

You have all sorts of star players that are struggling to hit the baseball this season, and that's not good for any baseball club if the investments they made don't start producing soon.

I think it's time that MLB look at doing something to put the hitting on an equal playing field with the pitching. Whether it be juicing the baseball or doing something to the mound or having a tighter strike zone, the offense needs to pick up for the good of the game.

We've had three perfect games (and yes I'm counting tonight's) this year. If that doesn't say the offense is down all over the league I don't know what does.

If MLB goes back to the 1980's era of offense, I think it risks losing a big chunk of attendance. Sure watching pitching is entertaining as is the defensive plays, but offense and especially the HR is a huge part of baseball.

You have all sorts of star players that are struggling to hit the baseball this season, and that's not good for any baseball club if the investments they made don't start producing soon.

I think it's time that MLB look at doing something to put the hitting on an equal playing field with the pitching. Whether it be juicing the baseball or doing something to the mound or having a tighter strike zone, the offense needs to pick up for the good of the game.

I couldn't disagree more. When you do garbage like that you mess with the integrity of the game. Records become meaningless. It's just the way it goes.

I agree.

No doubt decompressing the ball and remove of PEDs has hampered offense.

One posters brought up records and integrity, guess that swings both ways.

Not sure I want to see too many more perfect games. It is watering it down already.

You also might want to research all the changes they made to pitching distance, mounds, delivery, ball compostiion, etc.

We are back in a deadball era, and its not just about homeruns.

The only solution is compressing the baseball.

Not that I am an advocate its just the only option.

I agree.

No doubt decompressing the ball and remove of PEDs has hampered offense.

One posters brought up records and integrity, guess that swings both ways.

Not sure I want to see too many more perfect games. It is watering it down already.

You also might want to research all the changes they made to pitching distance, mounds, delivery, ball compostiion, etc.

We are back in a deadball era, and its not just about homeruns.

The only solution is compressing the baseball.

Not that I am an advocate its just the only option.

I don't think there's a correlation between the decrease in PED use and perfect games. This is a coincidence...I would believe it more if say, Halladay, Lincecum and Grienke all had one so far this year...but it's Halladay and two other guys who were amazing for one day.

If perfect games are your standard for hampering offense, how come there were only 3 perfect games in the 1960's altogether? The 60's, especially the mid to late 60's, were regarded as time period dominated by pitching...and if offense today is better, how come more perfect games have been thrown?

I just don't understand this obsession with power. Yes, its nice but there's much more to baseball than just power numbers. It seems like some people who were born in the early 80's or after have no concept of how the game was played before they were born.

And El Trea slams the "1980's era" of offense, but if he'd take a minute to look at the statistics he'd see that attendance rose across the majors during the 80's. Just briefly looking at the numbers, the Dodgers jump out at me for drawing 3 million in 1986. Every team drew over a million fans that year, a stark contrast to 1980 where not as many teams did.

Baseball survives no matter what, no matter what the trends are. Trea, you totally cannot grasp that concept.

Ah, a whole new concept for Trea to go in absolutely the wrong direction in!

The sun will come up tomorrow!

Baseball survives no matter what, no matter what the trends are. Trea, you totally cannot grasp that concept.

It's because he thinks every idea he has is not only right, but is also incredibly urgent. Apart from the issue of his ideas being correct or incorrect, he insists everything is either a pressing crisis or an emerging one. He lacks the ability to under-react from bizarre hysteria down to normal levels. Every single short-term thing is a major calamity that must be addressed, and the concept of long term does not exist...

Did you skip your medication? Your crazy about everything. You seriously are putting in a vote for steroids?

Did you skip your medication? Your crazy about everything. You seriously are putting in a vote for steroids?

By juicing the baseball, I mean modifying the Major League baseball so it creates more offense.

And El Trea slams the "1980's era" of offense, but if he'd take a minute to look at the statistics he'd see that attendance rose across the majors during the 80's. Just briefly looking at the numbers, the Dodgers jump out at me for drawing 3 million in 1986. Every team drew over a million fans that year, a stark contrast to 1980 where not as many teams did.

Among other concepts he doesn't have a clue about. I'll betcha Juan Samuel is as against a full-on O's vs. [insert team here] brawl as the rest of us are! Only Trea thinks our pitchers should be head-hunting.

Archived