Heyman via twitter: O's after Konerko

Moose Milligan

The problem is the only premium guy the Orioles have in their farm system is Machado, and he looks to be 2-3 years out at least, which is why we need to acquire premium talent now and compete with that along with the talent we want to develop into premium talent, and then draft and develop their replacements so they can take over for that talent when their contracts are up.

And premium talent is what is needed to win in this division and lots of it.

I think you have a problem if you want premium talent and then go ahead and fill your voids with Konerko.

I'd love the guy on this team, but I really doubt he'd come here for what I'd be willing to spend. I'm with you on Beltre (willing to over spend), but because of age/defense, Konerko has a decent shot of not even being worth what we think he's worth, much less what we'd probably have to give him to come here.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's TRULY amazing to me is how diffiuclt first base has been to fill on this team. First base is a sluggers position, so one would think its fairly easy to draft a big slugging guy who can play an average first base. But yet, the Orioles have not really developed a legit power hitting first baseman since....Eddie? Really? 30+ years and this organization has not developed one solid power hitting first baseman?

People like to blame Angelos for this teams downfall, but the truth is we have been a poor organization since the mid 80's...25+ years. The lack of developing a first baseman is VERY telling to me about how far this team is in the cellar.

People like to blame Angelos for this teams downfall, but the truth is we have been a poor organization since the mid 80's...25+ years. The lack of developing a first baseman is VERY telling to me about how far this team is in the cellar.

Lol. How long does Angelos get before it's his fault? 50 years? :confused:

Lol. How long does Angelos get before it's his fault? 50 years? :confused:

FACT: Peter Angelos has been a piss poor owner in his 17 -18 years of owning the Baltimore Orioles.

FACT: The Baltimore Orioles had not been a good team for 10 years prior to Angelos buying the team.

I am not defending Angelos, only pointing out that he was not the ONLY one who killed the legacy of the Baltimore Orioles.

Konerko's defense is not Adam Dunn bad, just a bit below average, but adequate, IMO. His major attribute is power and I could see that playing for another couple of years. His OPS has actually improved over each of the past two years from .782 to .842 to .977. And his HRs and RBIs have improved both years as well. A two year deal with an option/buyout wouldn't kill me.

Konerko's defense is not Adam Dunn bad, just a bit below average, but adequate, IMO. His major attribute is power and I could see that playing for another couple of years. His OPS has actually improved over each of the past two years from .782 to .842 to .977. And his HRs and RBIs have improved both years as well. A two year deal with an option/buyout wouldn't kill me.

But it probably wouldn't get him to come here either!

What's TRULY amazing to me is how diffiuclt first base has been to fill on this team. First base is a sluggers position, so one would think its fairly easy to draft a big slugging guy who can play an average first base. But yet, the Orioles have not really developed a legit power hitting first baseman since....Eddie? Really? 30+ years and this organization has not developed one solid power hitting first baseman?

The same could also be said for most of the positions on the field, specifically 3rd base, 2nd base, 1st base, and catcher. The Orioles have had outfielders here and there, but outside of Cal I can't think of any significant 3rd baseman over the last 25. Leo Gomez is about the only that comes to mind, but he wasn't a make or break player by any means. Billy Ripken was a heck of a defensive player, but same goes for him at 2nd. Hoiles wasn't drafted by the Orioles, so he doesn't really count at catcher.

The Orioles have had problems drafting and developing players for over 25 years, you are 100% correct on that. Unfortunately, it's been extensive across pretty much all of the infield positions.

Lol. He's the one guy I don't want us to be aggressive on. :shrug:
Exactly. He's a 35 YO coming off a career year. How can that not raise red flags?

I agree that he's not the 1B I would go after, but he is RH and provides good power. My biggest problem with going after him is that it will cost us a draft pick.

Konerko isn't someone that I am interested in because of his age. I think he could hit a wall like Pena did this year. He will always have the power numbers but I think that average is going to increasingly go down over the next couple of years. I have Victor Martinez, Adam Dunn, and Adam LaRoche ahead of him on my list for 1B, so if can't get one of those three then I guess Konerko would have to be the next option, but I'd much rather get one of Martinez, Dunn, or LaRoche instead.

Konerko isn't someone that I am interested in because of his age. I think he could hit a wall like Pena did this year. He will always have the power numbers but I think that average is going to increasingly go down over the next couple of years. I have Victor Martinez, Adam Dunn, and Adam LaRoche ahead of him on my list for 1B, so if can't get one of those three then I guess Konerko would have to be the next option, but I'd much rather get one of Martinez, Dunn, or LaRoche instead.

Pena is 27 (IIRC), not 35. He didn't hit a wall, in fact, he didn't hit anything. That was the problem.

Pena is 32, and will be 33 in May.

Ooooops!!

I thought he was quite a bit younger than Konerko, but I'm obviously wrong. It still don't think that he "hit a wall" related to age. He just wasn't making any contact. Not weak ground outs, but swings and misses.

Paul Konerko scares me more then any other non pitching free agent.

He is old.

Coming off a career year.

He was just average the 3...THREE...years prior to career year.

Any more then a 2 year $12 million deal is very likely a waste of money IMHO. I'd prefer to just put Luke Scott at 1B.

And someone is going to give him more then that. Let them.

Archived