O's Trim Roster by 8; Reimold among the casualties

ScottieBaseball

Im on record as saying that not only should Nolan be going north with the team, but i'd rather have him starting in left over Scott. That's how much of an injustice I think this is.

No one should be judging Nolan on last year, that is a joke. The guy probably shouldnt even have been playing most of the year with the injury he had.

The personal problems are his fault, no doubt.

Pie should have been shopped hard this off season. What little value he has now, will be gone once he starts playing this year.

Yes he should have. His issues last year were more personal than health.

That being said, I think it is poor for people to look at him last year and assume that he is no longer any good.

But it is equally poor for someone to just totally ignore last year, look at a SSS of ST at bats and say he should start over a guy who had one of the top 10 OPS's in the AL last year.

Had the Orioles traded Scott(as they should have) or not signed Vlad, then Reimold would be starting everyday. But that's not the case, so now he just has to wait...that's his "punishment" for his year last year.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im on record as saying that not only should Nolan be going north with the team, but i'd rather have him starting in left over Scott. That's how much of an injustice I think this is.

No one should be judging Nolan on last year, that is a joke. The guy probably shouldnt even have been playing most of the year with the injury he had.

Pie should have been shopped hard this off season. What little value he has now, will be gone once he starts playing this year.

Last year, Luke had an OPS of 902, and Nolan's was 738.. in AAA. And Luke's probably better defensively. Like I said before, I think your anger is misdirected - Vlad's the guy who took Nolan's spot.

Forget the whole need a back up CF, its a load of crap.

You are wrong. You have to look at the needs of the team. We have more need for a guy who can back up CF and be a defensive replacement in LF than we do for a guy who has some RH power off the bench. It's just the way this team is constructed.

But it's not a joke to judge him by his spring training stats? If you feel he should be starting over Luke than understand your concern, but he can't beat out Pie because he doesn't play CF.

As for Pie's value, he had very little coming into this year as well and is in his best role. I think he'll be productive in the 4th outfielder's role.

I have a firm grasp on the fact that I do not see the need for a back up centerfielder. Nor a defensive replacement for Luke.

OK assuming Luke is the startiing LF, and you aren't platooning him with Nolan(considering Luke's career splits against LHSP are better than Nolan's I don't see why you would) who are you PH ing him for? Nick, Roberts? Luke? He would play when they rest Vlad, Lee or Luke. How many game do you think that's going to be? Unless they get injured I doubt it's more than 25 G or 125 PA.

Yes he should have. His issues last year were more personal than health.

That being said, I think it is poor for people to look at him last year and assume that he is no longer any good.

But it is equally poor for someone to just totally ignore last year, look at a SSS of ST at bats and say he should start over a guy who had one of the top 10 OPS's in the AL last year.

Had the Orioles traded Scott(as they should have) or not signed Vlad, then Reimold would be starting everyday. But that's not the case, so now he just has to wait...that's his "punishment" for his year last year.

While I agree with you, I never agreed with DT trotting Reimold out there to start the season last year. He had the ankle issue and playing through it wasn't smart.

All of the rest of this talk about injustice is nonsense. Nolan is my favorite player, and even I can say that the way the team is constructed (With Vlad and Scott) there is no spot for him right now, regardless of how well hes playing this Spring.

Last year, Luke had an OPS of 902, and Nolan's was 738.. in AAA. And Luke's probably better defensively. Like I said before, I think your anger is misdirected - Vlad's the guy who took Nolan's spot.

And Vlad put up a .841 OPS last year and .960 OPS this spring. Reimold will get his shot this year at some point. Unfortunately the season he had last year cost him an opportunity this year because the team couldn't just assume a comeback. We now have depth at AAA in not only pitching, but also with some power in Reimold.

But it's not a joke to judge him by his spring training stats? If you feel he should be starting over Luke than understand your concern, but he can't beat out Pie because he doesn't play CF.

As for Pie's value, he had very little coming into this year as well and is in his best role. I think he'll be productive in the 4th outfielder's role.

I don't understand that concern. Why would that be anything but laughable?

And Vlad put up a .841 OPS last year and .960 OPS this spring. Reimold will get his shot this year at some point. Unfortunately the season he had last year cost him an opportunity this year because the team couldn't just assume a comeback. We now have depth at AAA in not only pitching, but also with some power in Reimold.

I definitely agree that Vlad should start over Nolan - just saying that if Vlad hadn't been signed, then Nolan probably would be getting a lot of Vlad's at bats.

Fair enough. So let me understand something. Pie is doing reasonably well as the 4th outfielder. Luke goes down for a month. Pie does not start in Left? They leapfrog Pie and insert Nolan as the starter? I find that hard to believe. My concern or anger is that this could end up being a lost season for a guy that belongs on a ML team and we are only going to retard him even more.

I definitely agree that Vlad should start over Nolan - just saying that if Vlad hadn't been signed, then Nolan probably would be getting a lot of Vlad's at bats.
If he hits in Norfolk he most likely will be getting them next year. if not sooner.

If Pie had an option then Angle would be on the team.

Quoted for falsity. There is nothing to suggest that Angle is better than Pie at this point. Pie is 6 months younger and has had more success at every level at a much younger age. Pie's production right now is probably Angle's absolute ceiling with more steals and less power.

Quoted for falsity. There is nothing to suggest that Angle is better than Pie at this point. Pie is 6 months younger and has had more success at every level at a much younger age. Pie's production right now is probably Angle's absolute ceiling with more steals and less power.
He said if Pie had an option Reimold would be the 4th OF. My point was even if you sent Pie down(which I wouldn't do) you would still need a 4th OF, because Reimold isn't one. Try reading the other posts preceding, I don't think it's that hard to follow.

Trivia Question : Who spelled Paul Blair on the championship teams of the 60's and 70's????

Merv Rettenmund for much of it, a solid fourth outfielder who could actually play center, and averaged 30 starts a year in center as well as additional starts in left and right. Fun fact: '66, '70 and '71 were the seasons in which Paul Blair made the fewest starts during the prime of his career. Good thing the Orioles had a capable fourth outfielder who could play centerfield during those championship years.

This is all there is to it, really. Reimold had the chance last year to firmly take hold of LF for years to come, and he crapped the bed. People can say it wasn't his fault, and some of it may not have been, but the fact is he didn't do anything last year to give the team reason to rely on him. It was justifiable to wonder: was 2009 the fluke, or was 2010? If he performed last year maybe they don't go out and get Vlad, and all of this is moot, but as it is there's no way he gets the nod over Vlad and Scott with their track records.

All that said, it sure looks like he is back, physically, and I'm sure he will be back in the bigs soon enough. People act like having depth at AAA that has experienced ML success is a bad thing.

Archived