Hobgood, Berry and Bywater throw one shutout inning in GCL opener

Tony-OH

Rehabbing Matt Hobgood and Ryan Berry each threw perfect innings with each getting three groundball outs today in the GCL O's opener. Matt Bywater made his professional debut tossing a shutout inning as well, allowing just a walk.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me be the first to say "finally, something positive on the injury front". I think both are right on pace with velo as far as first appearances of the year and will hopefully build (moreso in Hobgood's case) as they continue to make progress rehabbing. Hobgood getting three groundball outs is a nice sign, albeit this is only one game.

As Tony said earlier, Coffey made his 2011 debut today. I'll give him the benefit of he doubt until he gets some innings under his belt, but the results today were pretty poor (although it's impossible to say how hard he was hit, what types of hits he gave up, etc). He really hasn't been on the mound much since the middle of his senior year of high school, so some rough patches are to be expected. At the very least, he went 3 innings and had a solid GB/FB ratio.

Bodywise - Hobgood is a Clemens clone. I can see why they were taken by his physicality. Let's hope he finally emerges.

Clemens was strong but WAY leaner than Hobgood coming out of UT. I do agree there is a resemblence between Hobgood and some of the older versions of Clemens. Definitely a big, strong kid.

Archived