Hobgood, Berry and Bywater throw one shutout inning in GCL opener

Tony-OH

Rehabbing Matt Hobgood and Ryan Berry each threw perfect innings with each getting three groundball outs today in the GCL O's opener. Matt Bywater made his professional debut tossing a shutout inning as well, allowing just a walk.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me be the first to say "finally, something positive on the injury front". I think both are right on pace with velo as far as first appearances of the year and will hopefully build (moreso in Hobgood's case) as they continue to make progress rehabbing. Hobgood getting three groundball outs is a nice sign, albeit this is only one game.

As Tony said earlier, Coffey made his 2011 debut today. I'll give him the benefit of he doubt until he gets some innings under his belt, but the results today were pretty poor (although it's impossible to say how hard he was hit, what types of hits he gave up, etc). He really hasn't been on the mound much since the middle of his senior year of high school, so some rough patches are to be expected. At the very least, he went 3 innings and had a solid GB/FB ratio.

Bodywise - Hobgood is a Clemens clone. I can see why they were taken by his physicality. Let's hope he finally emerges.

Clemens was strong but WAY leaner than Hobgood coming out of UT. I do agree there is a resemblence between Hobgood and some of the older versions of Clemens. Definitely a big, strong kid.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• They don't have the one and done anymore. I believe it's a 3 game series now.
    • Wondering if Norby is the future 1B and Westburg is traded.
    • Juan Gonzalez won a gold glove one year he was basically a DH.  Seeing how much a media darling Ortiz was, I'm surprised he didn't win one.
    • The entire outfield wall moved back!  I support it just to hear opposing teams' sluggers whine. 
    • Years back I remember when a pitcher (Don't remember his name) was told he'd won a GG.  He responded "Really? I don't even think I'm a good fielder."
    • One way to look at it is that we were three runs away from making the playoffs. We lost opening day 2-1 to Tampa and then we lost to them in extra innings on July 27. If we score two more runs on opening day and one more run in the first nine innings of that extra inning loss, we make the playoffs.
    • I'd be very surprised if they acquire an outfielder unless one of Mullins, Santandar or Hays are traded.  With Stowers and McKenna already in the MLB and Cowser knocking down the door, I think getting an outfielder is very low on the priority list for Elias.   I think next year Stowers will be given a shot at first base, and he will be a 1st/OF player.  I would hope the stupid platoon thing that was done to him this year stops as his splits are fairly even historically.  With Mountcastle and Hays slumping often we need someone with a decent bat who can fill in both positions, and Stowers could fill such a role and get some significant playing time as such.  Vavra is a bit more complicated.  We have a need for a good 2nd baseman, but I'm not sure Vavra is the answer there.  Urias and Mateo look to finish out the ss/3rd positions, and then of course there is Westburg waiting in the wings.  With Odor gone I think Vavra gets more playing time at 2nd and around the infield in general.  But I could also see 2nd base being a place where we bring in another vet, but one better with the bat than Odor.    
  • Popular Contributors