Reynolds as a trade candidate?

baltimorebirds

I believe he leads the majors in errors. Somewhere on OH, although I couldn't find it when I searched, it was mentioned that because of all the runs he costs us in errors, it evens out with the runs he gets us with HRs. It was also mentioned how his K's hurt us. Even with the HRs, he has trouble getting a sac fly with a runner on third and less than two outs.

All of that has been shown to be incorrect thinking.

Inane?!? That is a little harsh, no? You are right. He won the game in Atlanta. Don't get me wrong - I've been a huge optimist for years and actually believed this was the year we turned it around, but we haven't. We aren't making the playoffs anytime soon. We aren't finishing .500 this season. So does his HR that won us the game in Atlanta matter? Does the win matter? Does it matter if we win 69 games or 70 games? Or would you rather have a couple of great prospects who could make us great in the future?

I am not saying to trade him, I just mentioned it has a suggestion. Josh Bell is hitting better average-wise and has 13 or 14 HRs at Triple-A. Would he be that much of a drop off from Reynolds? Would it be that big of a deal? To me, trading Reynolds makes more sense than trading a guy like Hardy.

It isn't the trading that is the issue, it is the logic. So just because the team loses the production he provides has no value now or in the future? He's signed for two more years after this one, don't forget.

If Matusz threw eight innings of one-hit ball and the bullpen blew the game in the ninth, would your first thought be to try and trade him while his value was high since his performance couldn't help a mediocre team?

The only way to get better is to find these kinds of players and KEEP THEM while adding more around them. You trade them if you have to, but not before. Otherwise you end up in a losing cycle that makes thirteen years feel like a summer vacation.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anybody noticed the Wiggy is having quite the career year for himself in Color of Ado?

OPS is .815, good for 30 points over his career #. Slugging is near .500, on pace for about 25 - 30 HR's. Good fo him. I bet he loves that thin air.

As does everyone else. Honestly, his numbers in Colorado mean absolutely nothing to me. We've seen time and time again that those numbers don't translate to Baltimore.

You trade them if you have to, but not before.

A small nit-pick, but you also trade them if someone comes to you and overpays. I don't see that happening with Reynolds because there's a stigma attached to his defense and K's. However, if he keeps hitting and goes on something like a 15 game errorless streak, it's remotely possible that someone comes to us with an offer that we couldn't refuse.

Reynolds seems like an incredibly unlikely guy to get traded.

As does everyone else. Honestly, his numbers in Colorado mean absolutely nothing to me. We've seen time and time again that those numbers don't translate to Baltimore.

Like that Atkins guy. ;) Could you imagine Reynolds hitting in Colorado? Moon shots. Literally.

A small nit-pick, but you also trade them if someone comes to you and overpays. I don't see that happening with Reynolds because there's a stigma attached to his defense and K's. However, if he keeps hitting and goes on something like a 15 game errorless streak, it's remotely possible that someone comes to us with an offer that we couldn't refuse.

Reynolds seems like an incredibly unlikely guy to get traded.

Sure. But you trade anyone if someone comes to you and overpay. Major-league GMs aren't usually in the business of saying, "I want that guy sooooooo bad, you can have whatever you want." Even when, in cases like looking back at the Bedard deal, it may seem like it :P

Like that Atkins guy. ;) Could you imagine Reynolds hitting in Colorado? Moon shots. Literally.

We don't have to imagine it -- he has hit 8 HR in 105 AB, and has walked 19 times, to a slash line of .267/.379/.552.

Sure. But you trade anyone if someone comes to you and overpay. Major-league GMs aren't usually in the business of saying, "I want that guy sooooooo bad, you can have whatever you want." Even when, in cases like looking back at the Bedard deal, it may seem like it :P

The Carlos Santana trade has been bandied about. It does happen, sometimes.

why not? The truth is, I think Reynolds has hurt us more than he has helped us. His defense and his K's kill us sometimes. His HRs are in bunches and moonshots but aren't necessarily difference makers. Did we need his two HRs tonight win we lost 13-4? Why not trade him while he is hot?

The reason "why not" is that Reynolds is under our control for 2 more years + an option and is destined to become a 40+ HR DH and/or 1B for us starting next year.

The bottom line is the O's have needs everywhere. Getting a 3b problem, in exchange for a SP problem to me isn't the end of the world.

If we can get a definite solution at 2b, LF, 3b, SP long term for Reynolds. Count me in.

If the trade were Reynolds for a Carlos Santana type prospect, you're saying you would turn it down? I'd give up a few decent years of Reynolds for the next couple years for a plus prospect for the long haul. Even if it meant filling one hole and creating another.

Santana was a 22 year old putting up great numbers in high A a year after hitting 223 at low A. Most of the time prospects of that nature do not turn into what Santana has become.

I would probably not pull the trigger on that deal without the benefit of hindsight.

Santana was a 22 year old putting up great numbers in high A a year after hitting 223 at low A. Most of the time prospects of that nature do not turn into what Santana has become.

I would probably not pull the trigger on that deal without the benefit of hindsight.

Really? The year he was traded, he was rated #29th best prospect by baseball america. Zach Britton in 2011, ranked 28th. Would you trade Reynolds for Britton?

You should also note the following year Santana was ranked #10 overall. If someone offered you a 20-40 level BA prospect for Reynolds, you wouldn't pull the trigger? What about the money saved in that contract that you can use for other players.

I'm curious...you seem really attached to Reynolds, is there a value of package you'd be willing to trade him for?

I know that it's better to trade a player a year too early than a year too late, but I really just don't think he's as bad a defenseman as he's been this year. He's never been this bad in his career, and I really think that he can prove to be an adequate defender at 3B. He's 28, and I think we're better off holding onto him for the rest of this season. I'm not worried about him producing offensively, so I don't see why we couldn't get just about as good a return for him next year if we have to trade him then.

I'm not saying that you refuse all offers or anything. Obviously, for the right return, anybody is tradeable. I just don't think there's this all-consuming need to trade Reynolds.

People talk about signing Fielder, but what good is that going to do if you trade off all the ML talent you need to be surrounding him with to compete?

I know that it's better to trade a player a year too early than a year too late, but I really just don't think he's as bad a defenseman as he's been this year. He's never been this bad in his career, and I really think that he can prove to be an adequate defender at 3B. He's 28, and I think we're better off holding onto him for the rest of this season. I'm not worried about him producing offensively, so I don't see why we couldn't get just about as good a return for him next year if we have to trade him then.

I'm not saying that you refuse all offers or anything. Obviously, for the right return, anybody is tradeable. I just don't think there's this all-consuming need to trade Reynolds.

People talk about signing Fielder, but what good is that going to do if you trade off all the ML talent you need to be surrounding him with to compete?

I'm pretty sure this thread started out as a question as to whether or not there were guys that were available for Reynolds...

Although it hasn't been discussed, he is hitting .329 over his last month and now has 20 HRs. Although he is a strikeout machine and has a ton of errors this season (more than career average) I wonder what his trade worth would be, especially with him being signed through 2012.

Here are playoff contenders that could use a 3B upgrade:

Anyone out there know of any decent prospects from these teams that we could get for Reynolds? Any chance any of these happen?

In fact the No's screamed so loudly at the idea, that it made the OP seem like they were jamming this down someone's throats. No one said there is an all-consuming need here. Someone said that if we trade Reynolds it means everyone. But people aren't really giving this debate the credence it needs.

If the Yankees want to add some pop at DH, and we can get a Montero like guy for Reynolds, (a) shouldn't we at least be asking? (b) who are some potential targets for these good fits? I think that was the point of this thread.

Instead we get justifiably angry fans, holding onto a MLB contributing player because it feels like we get so few of them. (Which I also understand).

Really? The year he was traded, he was rated #29th best prospect by baseball america. Zach Britton in 2011, ranked 28th. Would you trade Reynolds for Britton?

You should also note the following year Santana was ranked #10 overall. If someone offered you a 20-40 level BA prospect for Reynolds, you wouldn't pull the trigger? What about the money saved in that contract that you can use for other players.

I'm curious...you seem really attached to Reynolds, is there a value of package you'd be willing to trade him for?

First a correction, after the season he was traded he was ranked the #29 prospect. He was traded in 2008 you are using the 2009 standing.

The following year is irrelevant.

Yes I would trade Reynolds for the 2009 version of Carlos that wasn't the question. In 2008 he was one year removed from hitting 223 at low A He had a LD% of 15 and still his OPS jumped 311 points.

That would probably be enough to scare me off in July of '08.

Roberts, Izturis and....and....Willie Randolph!

What do I win?

Darnit, Randolph isn't playing...

Hmmm...you're right. Gotta scratch Randolph.

We probably should disqualify BRob as well. Learned threads about the unwisdom of his contract coupled with the inevitable whining, moaning and general teeth-gnashing over his unavailability to be traded ought to count, don't you think?

I guess that leaves Izzy.

Archived