I've had it

SteveA

We're playing a team that has scored 22 fewer runs than us on the year.

We throw our recent first round draft pick out there, a "can't miss" (ha-ha) prospect who is in his 3rd season in the majors. They throw a has-been never-was who last won a game in the big leagues in 2005.

And they are killing us. We get the bases loaded with no one out and our "cleanup hitter" (ha-ha) strikes out and our "franchise catcher" (ha-ha) hits into a DP.

I think I'm going to take the rest of the season off. Stop watching or listening to every game. Not even put it on the secondary TV without sound while I'm watching something else on the big screen. I've NEVER done this before. Not even in 1988. Hell, in September 1988, having gotten out of college in June, I was down at the stadium meeting with a sales rep to buy my first ever season ticket plan. Not in any of these 14 losing years have I ever quit watching or listening to the games. I remember the last Sunday of a losing season 4 or 5 years ago we got no hit for 5 innings by some Boston scrub and then the rain came down at Fenway. It took them about 2 or 3 hours before they called the game and ended our season. But I kept checking the scoreboard and was ready to put the game back on TV as soon as it resumed, just to watch the final couple innings of a losing season and see if we could get a hit. So I have NEVER quit on this team before. But watching this crap is no longer fun. The rare wins no longer make it worthwhile. Watching to see young kids "develop"? Who the hell are you kidding. Our players don't develop. They show promise and regress, or get hurt, or both. Or they have talent but never "figure it out". Anyone who thinks that the next batch of prospects, the Bundys and Machado, will somehow be different, is just being an idiot. The vast majority of Orioles prospects, no matter how highly touted they are by everyone in baseball, don't live up to their promise. They get hurt. They don't develop at the big league level. if you think Dylan Bundy is going to be any better than Homer Bailey, or that Machado is going to be any better than Brandon Wood, then I just feel sorry for you. You can kick me in the crotch only so many times before I decide that "hoping it doesn't hurt this time" is a stupid, moronic strategy.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I'm going to take the rest of the season off. Stop watching or listening to every game. Not even put it on the secondary TV without sound while I'm watching something else on the big screen. I've NEVER done this before.

Yeah, see you tomorrow Steve.

We're playing a team that has scored 22 fewer runs than us on the year.

We throw our recent first round draft pick out there, a "can't miss" (ha-ha) prospect who is in his 3rd season in the majors. They throw a has-been never-was who last won a game in the big leagues in 2005.

And they are killing us. We get the bases loaded with no one out and our "cleanup hitter" (ha-ha) strikes out and our "franchise catcher" (ha-ha) hits into a DP.

I think I'm going to take the rest of the season off. Stop watching or listening to every game. Not even put it on the secondary TV without sound while I'm watching something else on the big screen. I've NEVER done this before. Not even in 1988. Hell, in September 1988, having gotten out of college in June, I was down at the stadium meeting with a sales rep to buy my first ever season ticket plan. Not in any of these 14 losing years have I ever quit watching or listening to the games. I remember the last Sunday of a losing season 4 or 5 years ago we got no hit for 5 innings by some Boston scrub and then the rain came down at Fenway. It took them about 2 or 3 hours before they called the game and ended our season. But I kept checking the scoreboard and was ready to put the game back on TV as soon as it resumed, just to watch the final couple innings of a losing season and see if we could get a hit. So I have NEVER quit on this team before. But watching this crap is no longer fun. The rare wins no longer make it worthwhile. Watching to see young kids "develop"? Who the hell are you kidding. Our players don't develop. They show promise and regress, or get hurt, or both. Or they have talent but never "figure it out". Anyone who thinks that the next batch of prospects, the Bundys and Machado, will somehow be different, is just being an idiot. The vast majority of Orioles prospects, no matter how highly touted they are by everyone in baseball, don't live up to their promise. They get hurt. They don't develop at the big league level. if you think Dylan Bundy is going to be any better than Homer Bailey, or that Machado is going to be any better than Brandon Wood, then I just feel sorry for you. You can kick me in the crotch only so many times before I decide that "hoping it doesn't hurt this time" is a stupid, moronic strategy.

There will be those snarky little posters who will say "bye" and "see you tomorrow" or "don't let the door hit you" or whatever. You have every right. This squad is an embarrassment to the city of Baltimore and to MLB. I'm not watching and I feel better for it. I like to follow this board, but the team is a waste of time. Hey, at least we have some real professionals in purple to look forward too. Quite simply, this squad has killed my love for baseball and they will have to earn my trust back.

I can't fault you, Steve. I feel the same way.

Anyone who feels Machado, Bundy or whomever else is going to be some amazing player and we'll get on track is just fooling themselves. Matusz is garbage right now. Outside of Nick and Roberts, this franchise has been extremely pathetic about growing their own.

Oh, wow, Wieters just hit a solo shot...whoopedee-#%*@in-doo...

But watching this crap is no longer fun.

I completely agree, but....

Anyone who thinks that the next batch of prospects, the Bundys and Machado, will somehow be different, is just being an idiot. The vast majority of Orioles prospects, no matter how highly touted they are by everyone in baseball, don't live up to their promise. They get hurt. They don't develop at the big league level. if you think Dylan Bundy is going to be any better than Homer Bailey, or that Machado is going to be any better than Brandon Wood, then I just feel sorry for you. You can kick me in the crotch only so many times before I decide that "hoping it doesn't hurt this time" is a stupid, moronic strategy.

If you're already writing off our best prospects, based solely on the checkered history of those before them, then maybe you really do need a vacation from baseball. Start following football (if it's a sport you like) and come back when pitchers and catchers report in 2012.

I completely agree' date=' but....

[b']If you're already writing off our best prospects, based solely on the checkered history of those before them, then maybe you really do need a vacation from baseball. Start following football (if it's a sport you like) and come back when pitchers and catchers report in 2012.[/b]

Nothing the Orioles do is good. Except suck and not develop prospects. They're good at sucking.

Is there any reason to believe a highly ranked prospect of ours will develop the way we expect?

I completely agree' date=' but....

If you're already writing off our best prospects, based solely on the checkered history of those before them, then maybe you really do need a vacation from baseball. Start following football (if it's a sport you like) and come back when pitchers and catchers report in 2012.[/quote']

Lack of conditioning plus lack of quality organizational training and development= failed prospects. Until proven innocent, this organization is a death trap for top prospects. I'm counting on NONE of them. This will only ever change when Angelos goes.

Nothing the Orioles do is good. Except suck and not develop prospects. They're good at sucking.

Is there any reason to believe a highly ranked prospect of ours will develop the way we expect?

I have two reasons.

1) I don't believe in curses.

2) Peter Angelos can't live forever, and a new owner couldn't possibly hire less competent people. Could he?

I have two reasons.

1) I don't believe in curses.

2) Peter Angelos can't live forever.

Sucking isn't a curse. Being completely inept isn't a curse.

Angelos can't live forever, this is true. However it doesn't matter if he passes the team on to his kids or whatever. This franchise needs a massive overhaul on all levels and even if Angelos kicks the bucket tomorrow, that's overhaul isn't guaranteed.

Archived