KLaw : Hearing that Joe Jordan will step down as Scouting Director

jamesenoch

I think that this is the time Cal comes on board in whatever role. I can see him and Buck having similar philosophies e.g. making sure batters and pitchers are being developed the right way, having a strong philosophy in both majors and minors and making sure players learn the "small things" etc. With Cal's recent comments about wanting to come back I think the rumors about AM and JJ gone just make too much sense.

But i could be totally wrong :laughlol:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that this is the time Cal comes on board in whatever role. I can see him and Buck having similar philosophies e.g. making sure batters and pitchers are being developed the right way, having a strong philosophy in both majors and minors and making sure players learn the "small things" etc. With Cal's recent comments about wanting to come back I think the rumors about AM and JJ gone just make too much sense.

But i could be totally wrong :laughlol:

I doubt you see Cal in anything but an ownership group or in a special advisor to the owner role.

I think Jordan is a solid scouting director. Not excellent, not terrible. I think he's been handicapped a bit more than most other SDs due to 1) constraints from the front office and 2) a poor development system. I do think a better SD could have adapted and executed strategies more efficaciously.

Jordan is an excellent negotiator and, from what little interaction I've had with him and knowledge I have of him, a good guy. The Orioles could do better, but probably won't.

I think Jordan is a solid scouting director. Not excellent, not terrible. I think he's been handicapped a bit more than most other SDs due to 1) constraints from the front office and 2) a poor development system. I do think a better SD could have adapted and executed strategies more efficaciously.

Jordan is an excellent negotiator and, from what little interaction I've had with him and knowledge I have of him, a good guy. The Orioles could do better, but probably won't.

This is kind of how I see it. I think he did a decent job, but the fact is, we need to have someone come in here and do a great job. The best thing about Jordan was he usually signed the guys he drafted that he really wanted. In 7 years I can't recall a single guy we didn't sign who was a big surprise and a major disappointment, and on the other hand, he signed at least a few high upside guys who were considered longshots to sign, like Delmonico. It won't surprise me if this last draft was his best.

Just got off the phone with a Major League evaluator -- take this for whatever you think it is worth:

Me: So, I heard Joe Jordan might be stepping down as SD in Baltimore.

Him: Yeah?

Me: That's the word. You going to interview for the job?

Him: No. Way.

BTW, I see Jack Z is staying in Seattle, so he won't be available for this position.(Trea had brought this up before)

The biggest two names would be Freidman and Cashman, but you are competing with CHC for them and they are only going to go to a big spending, large market team.

Oh wait we are talking SD. No way Jack Z. would be taking a SD job, he'll have people offering him larger GM jobs when he's ready.

I would look to TEX, TB, and maybe KC for guys ready to move up the ranks in scouting.

Just got off the phone with a Major League evaluator -- take this for whatever you think it is worth:

I am sure we can get quite a few very good guys to interview. After all there is only 30 of these jobs in baseball. Most of these guys got to think enough of their own intellect and will take the challenge.

This might be somewhat debatable, but to me Joe Jordan did a lot of treading water. What I mean by that is, he didn't really hurt or help the system all that much. As recently stated by ESPN, the Orioles have the 5th best farm system in the division. That's got to be at least partially attributable to him. That being said, if he had stayed, I wouldn't have been up in arms either. There are undoubtedly a few players that are in the lower tiers that we haven't seen fully developed.

Archived