Now it's REALLY over...Prince to Detroit

connja

Even though this is the conventional wisdom, there is little objective evidence...the Rangers had Rodriguez but they got out of it and have a great team currently, the Yankees and Red Sox have had bad contracts- playoffs virtually every year...the Nats- Werth is likely a bad contract- doesn't seem to be hampering them...you could argue the Cubs have been hurt perhaps, but even there, they can eat the losses of the bad contracts and will still have money to burn...these owners realize billions in profits when you factor in the appreciation of the values of the teams from when they bought them as well as public subsidies in tax structure and the deals from TV/regional networks....any ONE player, no matter how mega the deal is not going to "ruin a club for years to come" unless that club is already poorly run and managed by the people in charge of baseball decisions (not that I would be thinking of any particular organization in saying that). I too would not have gone for Fielder, in part, because I don't think his switching leagues and pitchers is going to be quite the cake walk for him that some might think it is going to be....but if any team really wants to make a statement in this fashion then they certainly, certainly have the resources to do so.

Are you kidding me? The Rangers only got good because the franchise went into bankruptcy and Nolan Ryan rode in and saved it. The Nationals have WASTED a ton of money on Werth that they could be spending on filling other holes in their team to make them real contenders instead of "possibly being on the periphery of the second-wild-card" hunt.

The Cubs have spent a ton of money and it has gotten them nothing.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well except sold games with high ticket prices. I actually paid 75 dollars for upper box seats at wrigley field five years ago. And the place was sold out. They do pack them in.

Well except sold games with high ticket prices. I actually paid 75 dollars for upper box seats at wrigley field five years ago. And the place was sold out. They do pack them in.

A couple friends from Chicago would counter that with the following - "They need to bulldoze Wrigley," "The Cubs don't need to win so long as Wrigley is there and it is a 'thing' to go to Wrigley"

Even though this is the conventional wisdom, there is little objective evidence...the Rangers had Rodriguez but they got out of it and have a great team currently, the Yankees and Red Sox have had bad contracts- playoffs virtually every year...the Nats- Werth is likely a bad contract- doesn't seem to be hampering them...you could argue the Cubs have been hurt perhaps, but even there, they can eat the losses of the bad contracts and will still have money to burn...these owners realize billions in profits when you factor in the appreciation of the values of the teams from when they bought them as well as public subsidies in tax structure and the deals from TV/regional networks....any ONE player, no matter how mega the deal is not going to "ruin a club for years to come" unless that club is already poorly run and managed by the people in charge of baseball decisions (not that I would be thinking of any particular organization in saying that). I too would not have gone for Fielder, in part, because I don't think his switching leagues and pitchers is going to be quite the cake walk for him that some might think it is going to be....but if any team really wants to make a statement in this fashion then they certainly, certainly have the resources to do so.

DING DING DING....How can we sit here and say the Tigers are idiots this, and gonna regret that. Theyve made the playoffs twice since 97, Ill take that over what we've put together.

Over the last 15 years we hear an awful lot of, "we have to build from within" mumbo jumbo that the Orioles have marketed us all into believing. The Tigers, Yankees, Rangers, Red Sox, Angels, Phillies, Cardinals, White Sox have all SPENT $$$ and won Championships because of it, (Outside of the Tigers), since the last time we have even sniffed the Playoffs. OK so we need to do things the Tampa Bay or Oakland way. Its no wonder both are still searching for that Championship. Show me a team who has failed at attempting to buy a Title and Ill show you 2 whom have succeeded.

I can not imagine the Tigers are going to make Cabrera the starting 3B. The last time he played 3B was in 2008. He had 5 errors in 50 chances.

I wonder if they are going to look to trade him in the near future (ie next year)

Our Prince "like" player DD said he was looking for? :)

They overpaid for Fielder because Victor Martinez was going to be out for the year. But the addition of Fielder, and considering their SP's, I'd say that Detroit is now set up to be serious contenders for the next 5-6 years.

And now we can stop the dreaming and get back to reality.

DING DING DING....How can we sit here and say the Tigers are idiots this, and gonna regret that. Theyve made the playoffs twice since 97, Ill take that over what we've put together.

Over the last 15 years we hear an awful lot of, "we have to build from within" mumbo jumbo that the Orioles have marketed us all into believing. The Tigers, Yankees, Rangers, Red Sox, Angels, Phillies, Cardinals, White Sox have all SPENT $$$ and won Championships because of it, (Outside of the Tigers), since the last time we have even sniffed the Playoffs. OK so we need to do things the Tampa Bay or Oakland way. Its no wonder both are still searching for that Championship. Show me a team who has failed at attempting to buy a Title and Ill show you 2 whom have succeeded.

2011 Boston Red Sox were a huge failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you kidding me? The Rangers only got good because the franchise went into bankruptcy and Nolan Ryan rode in and saved it. The Nationals have WASTED a ton of money on Werth that they could be spending on filling other holes in their team to make them real contenders instead of "possibly being on the periphery of the second-wild-card" hunt.

My point is that any ONE mega contract, no matter how it turns out, cannot "ruin" a franchise "for years", unless that franchise is already badly run...and I would think it was more Jon Daniels than Ryan riding to the rescue. And, just to emphasize, The deal with Fielder would not have been one I would have endorsed...but primarily because i dont think he will produce like a pujols or Arod in the prime of his career.

Umm..no our 2011 Baltimore Orioles were a huge failure...the Red Sox were a good team who were once again in the midst of the hunt

They had an epic meltdown. You can call the orioles a failure but hey what else is new.

Adding Gonzo and Crawford they were huge favorites to win it all but not even making the playoffs was a FAILURE!

They had an epic meltdown. You can call the orioles a failure but hey what else is new.

Adding Gonzo and Crawford they were huge favorites to win it all but not even making the playoffs was a FAILURE!

I will take that kind of "failure" compared to being out of it every year.

Archived