Sun:Grimsley names 3 O's in banned drug case

TWpj

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be interested to see if the people who don't want to believe this/claiming this to be lies are the same people who hold out hope every year that we'll be good.

Just a hunch.

I don't want to believe it because an accusation is not a guilty verdict. This may turn out to be true, and we'll probably never know the truth. But just because someone in legal diress impicates Roberts, Gibbons and Tejada, I'm not going to assign guilt. That doesn't make me gullible or some fool who just sees things the way they'd like them to be.

The Orioles are in first place....Raffy is resurgent.

Tejada is a power hitter.

Brian is leading the league in average with more home runs than he has hit in his career.

Bedard is lights out.

Grimsley is on pace to be back from Tommy John in record time.

Raffy gets tested.....

You all know the rest.

Clemens is the big name here of course, but if this were another team...lets say the Yankees with there 'roiders Giambi, Arod and Sheffield...(and before you say "Not Arod" he was Cal's friend....so was Brady) we'd be slamming them. Let's face it baseball took on a robocop meets roller-ball steroid and performance enhancing roller coaster. We all loved the Summer of Mark and Sammy.....this is the price. It's very sad. But this too shall pass. The Strikes were awful, the cocaine wrecks were worse. It's is the times we live in.

How's that for perspective. Sad, but probably true. As for CLemens, I'm now believing that it might have been a suspension held under wraps that kept him out the first part of this year. Much like Michael Jordan in '93, the league asked him to "go away for a while" for his gambling indescretions. This was Clemens punishment. I laughed at the theory in April.

good god, can't we have at least one day to think "next year is ours" before it hits the fan.

this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good this can't be good

GO O'S??

He doesn't have a reason.

My gut told me Jose was telling the truth. And I believe Grimsley is too.

My gut tells me that most players have "juiced" at some level.

There are Millions $$$$ of reasons for these guys to get an edge any way they can.

If I was in their shoes, I might do it as well. I don't know.

That said- I do want any and all cheaters to be exposed and for the game to be cleaned up.

Your gut is telling you the simple truth.

My gut is telling me this will be painful for the organization and the players mentioned for the immediate future and then it will pass. If MLB wanted things to really be "clean", the procedures to do so would be pretty simple and inexpensive. It's just part of the game.

I propose everyone to Google Jeff Novitzky and see what they find.

To White, Novitzky -- who did not participate in this article -- seemed to have an unusual interest in the ballplayer. He mentioned Bonds frequently after a sighting or a Giants game. One day at court Novitzky struck up a conversation with White that went beyond the usual talk-radio banter.

"That Bonds. He's a great athlete," White says Novitzky told him. "You think he's on steroids?"

White took a moment before replying, in his bourbon-and-cotton voice, "I think they're all on steroids. All of our top major leaguers."

Novitzky seemed to care only about Bonds. "He's such an asshole to the press," he said. "I'd sure like to prove it."

My gut is telling me this will be painful for the organization and the players mentioned for the immediate future and then it will pass. If MLB wanted things to really be "clean", the procedures to do so would be pretty simple and inexpensive. It's just part of the game.

Problem is, that it will never be clean. There is no test for HGH because the union doesn't want blood tests - and are hiding behind the invisible right to privacy.

Eddie,

To the best of my knowledge Bud never formally (on the record) asked. Selig could and should have turned this into a political issue, stating that steroids were rampant in baseball and he was morally obligated to clean it up. That is what a person of character such as Vincent or Ueberoff (sp) would have done. Same deal with Fehr and the union. He got the deal done with the minors, he should have with the majors. Maybe the union doesn't give in but at least he tried to do what was right.

He did. Bud tried. Fehr/MLBPA stonewalled the issue until public pressure and congress forced them into it.

Enough of the repeated "lack of character" insults that you keep hurling at Selig. Regardless of the job he has done as commissioner, you do not know about his "character". And couldn't you make the same accusation about Don Fehr and ALL members of the MLBPA ? And the media who know darn well who has used all these years but thought it more fun to rub shoulders with "heroes" at hotel bars then tell us the truth.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060330&content_id=1374385&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

MLB did not have random testing for steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs prior to 2003, though Selig circulated memos during the 1990s stating that the use of those drugs by players was strictly prohibited and could be cause for discipline. The players association declined to collectively bargain the issue at the time.

Archived