Heels Thread

O'sHeelsFan

If the sprain is bad at all, I don't see how Lawson plays at all in the next 2 games and really, probably should miss at least 3 games. Give him almost 2 weeks to rest...Way too much at stake long term.

Definitely way too much at stake long term. We have a chance to win a championship and wouldn't want to risk something more serious. However, Duke most likely will be the main rival for a #1 seed in the East. Considering we'll be at Cameron in a month it would tought to justify giving Carolina a #1 seed if we lose to Duke twice.

Well I've said all along (or at least thought, not sure if I ever 'said' it :) ) that Lawson was the player they could least afford to lose. And that would be the case even if Frasor was healthy. Unlike Beaner, I did not thing that Quentin Thomas played well on Sunday. But he will have to come up BIG now. We will still have a shot - our bigs will still have an advantage in the post - but Q has to take care of the ball. And Hansborough has to come up big. What's the over under on how many minutes into the game he is bleeding? :P

Alright' date=' I have to get a Carolina thread going to rival the UVA one started by YardBirds. I only have a couple of posts, but I have lurked on the site for a while, and I know there are some Heels fans out there.

I gotta say, the only thing that really scares me about this team is the inconsistency of the outside shooting. Even Ellington is streaky - at least from three. It is clear he has improved his overall game, but I would like for him to hit the three more consistently. [b']Also, I know we won a few games w/o Lawson, but boy what a different team when he is not out there. [/b]

Really impressed by Deon Thompson, and the continued maturation of the 'G' men, especially Danny Green. Should be another great season, and another deep run in March. The schedule has been pretty tough - not many ranked teams, but definitely some tough road games at big conference schools (OSU, Kentucky) and/or in tiny gyms like the Palestra most big time programs (cough, Duke, cough) won't go near. Should have the guys really seasoned, especially considering it is somewhat of a veteran team anyway.

Also, and this is the part I hate to write: Does anyone else think, that by the time Duke and Carolina play for the first time, that might be a 1v2 matchup? I don't see Carolina falling b/w now and then, but Duke really could rise up if they keep winning the way they have been. They are scary at times, but I don't think they can handle Hansborough and company inside.

Thoughts?

Turns out I did 'say' it, sorta ;)

GREAT comeback tonight, down 79-68 with 2:58 to go. What an effort by the guys late in the game, wow. Major kudos to Q, who bounced back after a terrible first half. Big win without Lawson against a tough Clemson team. 53-0 now all time in Chapel Hill against them.

GREAT comeback tonight, down 79-68 with 2:58 to go. What an effort by the guys late in the game, wow. Major kudos to Q, who bounced back after a terrible first half. Big win without Lawson against a tough Clemson team. 53-0 now all time in Chapel Hill against them.

Amazing that Clemson only makes 1 FT....Equally amazing that UNC shoots around 25 more FTs.

Of course, if this was a Duke game, I imagine Fairfax Bird would be crying about the officiating but whatever.

Good comeback by the Heels though.

This is why I will never believe in Clemson....They always find a way to lose big games.

Amazing that Clemson only makes 1 FT....Equally amazing that UNC shoots around 25 more FTs.

Of course, if this was a Duke game, I imagine Fairfax Bird would be crying about the officiating but whatever.

Good comeback by the Heels though.

This is why I will never believe in Clemson....They always find a way to lose big games.

The officiating was fine, although we caught a break at the end of regulation with the shot clock expiring on the inbounds pass, but it would have been a miracle had Clemson scored.

As for Clemson, there is no excuse for them not winning this game. Carolina wasn't able to get a stop all night until there were 2 minutes left. We then turned them over 4 straight possesions. We wore them down in double OT, but Ill freely admit that Clemson should have won this game.

The officiating was fine, although we caught a break at the end of regulation with the shot clock expiring on the inbounds pass, but it would have been a miracle had Clemson scored.

As for Clemson, there is no excuse for them not winning this game. Carolina wasn't able to get a stop all night until there were 2 minutes left. We then turned them over 4 straight possesions. We wore them down in double OT, but Ill freely admit that Clemson should have won this game.

I am sure it was but that wasn't my point.

The excuse for Clemson to lose this game is because they always find ways to lose big games.

They can't shoot FTs and don't have high bball IQs.

I'm here now as well. Very disappointed in the effort by the fellas tonite. Pathetic' date=' really. I don't think anyone showed up, on either end of the floor. Kudos to MD though, huge huge win for them, they have a chance to salvage their season if they can build off of this.

[b']And Clemson? I don't think I've ever seen a worse FT shooting team. Not the reason they lost tonite, but it is the reason they lost to NC. Pathetic[/b]!

Ditto my previous words on Clemson. I know they only shot 6, but you gotta make one or two down the stretch! I mean, its a double OT game, any one point can make all the difference!

Carolina had no business winning tonite. Perimeter defense was horrible again, and the interior defense wasn't much better. And for a team that put up 103 points (82 in regulation), they sure did look lost on offense most of the night. I'll be glad when Lawson gets back, but the D on this team has got to improve either way. Really.

That being said, another monster game from Hansborough, and glad to see Ellington's shooting slump only lasted for the Duke game. He kept them in it until they started actually playing D at the end. Danny Green came up HUGE at the end of regulation.

And Q was much better in the second half. I still get nervous with him handling it so much, but at least he has shown the ability to drive to the hoop here and there, like on the tying shot in regulation last night.

That 53 year streak makes me nervous every year. It's the kind of thing that you figure has to end eventually. It certainly looked like it was about to last night!

It will be interesting to see how Clemson bounces back from this. They have a lot of talent on that team, and a good amount of size too. I know I don't want to see NC play them in the ACC tourney! Two games like this is enough for me :D

Great call here. Huge win, keeps them within sniffing distance of Duke for the regular season crown. I have a feeling Duke will stumble once, and the game in Durham will be for the title. Like we need any more stakes for that game!

Great call here. Huge win' date=' keeps them within sniffing distance of Duke for the regular season crown. I have a feeling Duke will stumble once, and the game in Durham will be for the title. Like we need any more stakes for that game![/quote']

With the #1 seed in the East so valubale this year (both rounds in NC), we have to beat Duke two more times, or have them lose early in the ACC tourney with the Heels winning it.

With the #1 seed in the East so valubale this year (both rounds in NC), we have to beat Duke two more times, or have them lose early in the ACC tourney with the Heels winning it.

I really think, if Carolina wins out other than the Duke game, whoever wins the ACC tourney (IF it is Duke or Carolina), gets the #1. Unless Duke goes undefeated in the ACC regular season. Then they may get it even if we beat them for the tourney title. But that can't happen, can it?! :eek:

I think they will both play in Raleigh in the first weekend, its just a matter of who gets the Charlotte Regional spot. Carolina could easily drop to a two seed if they don't win the ACC tourney. But there is too much b-ball to be played to speculate that. I have to check out the latest Lunardi brackets, that guy is pretty close normally, its downright spooky.

I really think' date=' if Carolina wins out other than the Duke game, whoever wins the ACC tourney (IF it is Duke or Carolina), gets the #1. Unless Duke goes undefeated in the ACC regular season. Then they may get it even if we beat them for the tourney title. But that can't happen, can it?! :eek:

I think they will both play in Raleigh in the first weekend, its just a matter of who gets the Charlotte Regional spot. Carolina could easily drop to a two seed if they don't win the ACC tourney. But there is too much b-ball to be played to speculate that. I have to check out the latest Lunardi brackets, that guy is pretty close normally, its downright spooky.[/quote']

Lunardi currently has them #2 in the Midwest, playing in Raleigh in the first two rounds. Kansas is #1 in their bracket.

Duke #1 in the East, obviously. Georgetown #2 in that region, that would be a great matchup! Big fan of that G'town team, fun to watch.

Wake nudges the door open for the Heels - still several games to go, but if they can avoid an upset, they will play for the regular season crown at Duke on the last Saturday of the season! Hopefully Lawson will be back by then. Beaner, what are you hearing about that? I have to look into it, haven't heard much news lately.

Wake nudges the door open for the Heels - still several games to go' date=' but if they can avoid an upset, they will play for the regular season crown at Duke on the last Saturday of the season! Hopefully Lawson will be back by then. Beaner, what are you hearing about that? I have to look into it, haven't heard much news lately.[/quote']

I hear Lawson should be back by this weekend. That would be nice, to get him 20-25 minutes the next game or so, and stay one back of Duke before having another crack at them in Durham.

I hear Lawson should be back by this weekend. That would be nice, to get him 20-25 minutes the next game or so, and stay one back of Duke before having another crack at them in Durham.

I saw on ESPN bottom line that he is def out for Wednesday's game @ NCSU. Hopefully back for the weekend like you said. I guess those reports that he might have played in the Duke game right after the injury were slightly off base!!! IMO we are lucky that Duke game is the only loss we've suffered since he went down. We really need him back.