Nice to have a laugher for once

Frobby

My son attended his fourth and fifth games at OPACY this weekend.  We saw the Os overcome a shaky Miley on Saturday as the Birds scored a couple runs and the bp was dominant - perhaps a warning sign to other contenders as O'Day, Brach and ZB looked fantastic.  

My son and I had the pleasure of watching the game yesterday with Frobby and we barely had sat down when the Os went back-to-back-to-back in the first.  What a way to start the game - all beautiful sounds of bat striking a baseball a long way.  Ubaldo was picked up by the shift a couple times and gave up several well-struck balls himself, but managed to get out of trouble against a fairly weak Detroit lineup - with Miggy out of the game and JD Martinez recently traded.  Manny crushed his HR to straightaway CF.  My son is a hawk for getting a ball or an autograph.  He was less than five feet away from three different players signing autos, but missed out and he couldn't get close to a ball thrown into the stands despite great seats.  He is 11 and was getting frustrated after the game, but luck shined on him when Caleb Joseph emerged from the dugout and tossed his batting gloves to my son.  That certainly made his weekend and made for an easier ride home.  His weekend haul almost sounds like a holiday song - 4 Schoop bobbleheads, three sets of Topps Cards, two batting gloves and a new Os camouflage hat and a (his, of course) lost tooth!  It was a great father-son weekend.

What a great experience to watch a game with Frobby - someone I have been posting with or against for a good portion of my 15 years here.  Great conversation about the in-games situations, the Os in general and discussing personal lives.  I hope we can do it again.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mrpennybags said:

Os are still -31 runs on the season but it's been a while since they lost a laugher.

The team's actual record (63-65) is now only two games above their Pythagorean records (61-67).    They have a 12-11 record this month despite our scoring their opponents by 139-99.    They've won games this month by scores of 12-3, 12-5, 11-3, and 16-3.   Meanwhile, they haven't allowed double digit runs since July 15.     Since then, in addition to the four August games I mentioned, they also won games by 12-1, 10-2 and 10-6 in the second half of July.    

On 8/25/2017 at 10:49 PM, OFFNY said:

BALTIMORE O RIOLES llllllllllllllllllllllllllll - 16

BOSTON RED SOX llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.. .3

o

BALTIMORE O RIOLES llllllllllllllllllllllllllll - 7

BOSTON RED SOX lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.. 0

o

13 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Please Miley, just give us a Quality Start, we'll do the rest.

o

Good call/request on the Quality Start ........ technically it was not a Quality Start, but I'll take 1 Run over 5-Plus Innings from Wade Miley any time.

Now, it's up to the rest of the team to finish it.

o

• 8 months later...
On 5/13/2018 at 5:32 PM, Hallas said:

The Orioles over the Rays, 17-1 !!!

o

And in their very next game, the Rays beat the Royals by a score of 2-1 on the strength of 4 shutout innings from their bullpen.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=380514107

Such are the ups and downs of the marathon, 162- game season of Major League Baseball.

o

• Upvote 1