O's Acquire Scott Feldman for Arrieta

AJismyhero

utheastern Louisiana in 2005 and planned to transfer to Texas, but a credit snafu led him to Chipola junior college, which made him draft eligible a year earlier than expected. The Cubs signed him for $150,000 as a seventh-rounder in 2006, and quickly found his infield actions lacking and converted him to catching in instructional league that fall. It took him six years to climb through the minors before he reached Chicago late last September. Clevenger excels at putting the bat on the ball. He controls the zone, rarely strikes out and has a career .308 average as a pro. He?s not a big home run threat, but he can drive balls to the gaps and has done so more frequently in the last two years. As his legs have gotten stronger from catching, he has added power. He has developed nicely behind the plate, with Tennessee manager Brian Harper (a former big league catcher) calling Clevenger one of the best receivers he has ever seen. He has solid arm strength and makes accurate throws, though he erased just 23 % of basestealers in 2011. He has improved his ability to block balls and manage a pitching staff. Clevenger has below-average speed but has more than most catchers and runs the bases intelligently. He also offers versatility, with the ability to play first or third base if needed. Clevenger profiles more as a quality backup than as a regular, and as a lefthanded hitter, he?d be a perfect complement to Geovany Soto in Chicago.

http://viewfromthebleachers.com/blog/2012/04/02/player-preview-steve-clevenger/

I assume this means he has multiple option years remaining.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel like I'm looking at a different Scott Feldman than everyone else here.

This is a guy with a 4.6 career era, someone who couldn't manage to pitch reliably in the AL West. Someone with nearly a 5era over the past month.

How is he better than Zach Britton ?

The 4.6 ERA is called pitching in Texas.

I feel like I'm looking at a different Scott Feldman than everyone else here.

This is a guy with a 4.6 career era, someone who couldn't manage to pitch reliably in the AL West. Someone with nearly a 5era over the past month.

How is he better than Zach Britton ?

In a relative sense Feldman provides depth and stability. Arrieta and Strop weren't going to help the team win this year or probably ever. The Orioles are in a position to win right now and they were able to acquire a guy who didn't cost them any prospects. If it doesn't work out then they aren't any worse off than they were. Low risk, medium reward.

Did you actually look at the slot values we gave up? Have you read about the new international signing period? Or are you just blindly complaining and ignoring the international amateurs we have signed and developed over the years?

I don't care for it either.

Here is Dave Cameron's synopsis

In this deal, the Orioles sent two of their bonus pool allocations ? three and four, to be exact ? that combine to be worth $388,100, or about 20% of their total bonus pool. According to the fantastic work from Ben Badler at Baseball America, the Cubs have now raised their bonus pool from $4,557,200 to $4,945,300, giving them the largest spending pool of any team, barring future trades that move more money around. Badler forecasted both of the top two international prospects ? Dominican OF Eloy Jimenez and Venezuelan SS Gleybor Torres ? to sign with the Cubs, but he noted that they would need to trade for additional pool space in order to make it happen.

You have four ways to add talent without giving up talent:

The Draft- as the O's win the value of the draft decreases since they will pick lower and have less slot money.

International free agents

Free Agents- the O's have shown no desire to get any tier 1 free agents.

Players Posted- I have never even seen a confirmed report of the O's bothering to bid on a posted player.

I see giving up 20% of their total international pool to be a big deal.

The 4.6 ERA is called pitching in Texas.

It wasn't much better anywhere else. His ERA was actually less than 4.6 in Texas. It was much higher most everywhere else.

His saving grace is he pitched pretty well in Camden Yards. But then again, those O's teams weren't this O's team offensively. A lot of people pitched well in Camden Yards back then.

Not sure how I feel about this yet.

Feldman has a career 4.66 ERA, and not a great track record in the American League. Looking at his game log for this year, I just can't shake the feeling that his better looking numbers are mostly a result of pitching in the National League against weaker offenses.

But I certainly hope I'm wrong. And of course I expect him to be able to outperform anything Arrieta could give us this year. But I wonder if we should've tried to get a better bullpen arm or something instead......or even offered more in the pot to try and get Garza. :confused:

This early in the season, we probably would have had to include Gaussman in order to get Garza. I like DD's quote about seeing how the rotation looks with Feldman and Chen before making any other moves.

Archived