O's Acquire Scott Feldman for Arrieta

AJismyhero

Not sure if its been posted yet, but heres a nice Fangraphs write up on how Feldman fits with us.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/orioles-upgrade-with-scott-feldman-cubs-continue-stocking-up/

The Orioles needed a guy like Feldman, and they may very well not have been able to put that international pool money to the same use, so this trade makes sense for a team in win-now mode that didn?t have the space to pursue the top guys. Arrieta and Strop might end up performing well in Chicago, but the Orioles needed to upgrade, and they didn?t part with pieces that can?t be replaced. This is a smart upgrade for Dan Duquette, even if it won?t draw big headlines the way some other names would, and Feldman is a good fit for their team.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet buck tunes him up nicely and he becomes a solid #4. That's my hope anyways.

Just getting strop out of the pen is a win win for me. It'll add a couple years to my life not having to see him coming in out of the pen ever again. Maybe we can make one more trade for a solid back end bullpen arm to take strop's spot in the pen?

Either way, I like this trade and I trust buck and Dan to know what they are doing here.

What about keeping Gausman as the RH bullpen am to replace Strop?

His time will come in September for that role. I think he's going to be a major weapon in one inning stints but right now let him make some AAA starts. Now we have an open spot in our pen for flexibility without going to a 3 man bench. Time for the Norfolk shuttle of fresh arms that DD and Buck mastered last year.

My view of the trade

Arrieta- If he has success with the Cubs in the NL Central that's fine with me. We all know he couldn't be successful in the AL East.

Strop- He had no place on the team all year, from his first appearance in the TB series to start out the season he was shook over a couple bad bounces. He was basically treated as a rule 5 guy.

Overall we got what we needed and didn't lose any prospects at all and we got Feldman early to maximize his value to us. Now it's time to win the division.

When was the last time he pitched here? If it was the 2009 team that doesn't mean much.

Feldman pitched one inning of relief at OPACY on May 8, 2012. 1 IP 2 H 0 R 0 K

He also started a game against us on August 21 last year and we bounced him after 5 IP and he allowed 5 runs (4 earned).

I hope the trade works out but I don't like it for a few reasons. Most obvious, I don't think much of Feldman. He hasn't been very good lately and I don't think he's much better than our internal options. In making the deal, it reduces our stock to make another. Mock what we gave away if you like but guys that can throw in the mid 90s are attractive for teams looking to the future. Having just acquired Feldman, we're even less likely to deal for another starter because we're a) going to give him time to see how he does and b) added payroll. Finally, there's the international $ flowing away.

In short, I think folks shouldn't just view this as who was acquired and who was dealt but the opportunity cost of taking on a roster spot and salary.

I hate to repeat myself, but NL pitchers typically struggle more when coming to the AL, then AL to the NL.

That is an oversimplification though. That is not a rule that applies to everyone. Joe Saunders did better for us in Baltimore last year than he did in Arizona.

It's only a big deal if the O's like the international draft pool, or had targeted specific players at those slots. It's hard to say since we're not in the Warehouse. Duquette has actually stressed the international market far more than MacPhail, so that's reassuring to me. I trust Duquette knows what he's doing.

Of course the move doesn't hurt if the O's were not going to spend the money anyway.

But why talk about fielding a second team if you are not going to spend money?

Looks like the Cubs are going to do alot of international signings. Also traded Marmol. Why did we not get back Kevin Gregg in the trsde?

The Cubs acquired two of the Astros' international bonus pool slots for minor league second baseman Ronald Torreyes, tweets Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. The Cubs announced they received slots 2 and 3 from the Astros, which amount to $784,700. So far the Cubs' net pool money gain is $963,100 today, bringing their total to $5,520,300 barring more moves. They added $388,100 from the Orioles and sent $209,700 to the Dodgers.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/astros-acquire-ronald-torreyes.html

Archived