O's Acquire Scott Feldman for Arrieta

AJismyhero

Bottom line-we gave up more than we had to, but he go this deal on July 2nd, not the 31st. I think DD did exactly what he needed to do. I applaud him. Great job.

I don't like trading the slot $ though. We need to sign more international guys. That was the disappointing part for me.

The local kid is a great story, but am I correct in saying he is a throw in? I see no value there.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like we got the best pitcher we could while giving up as little as possible.

Always difficult to pass on a talent like Jake, but he has had so many chances and probably needs a change of scenery as much as anything. Hopefully, he can turn his career around.

I would have preferred to see what Britton can as the five, but I assume he has more value than Jake and could be the next to go with Wada waiting in the wings. It will be interesting if Gausman pitches out of the bullpen for the rest of the year. Or maybe we go back to a six man rotation at some point.

DD has options. Hopefully, he has found a pitcher that will do well in the ALEast and will benefit from a better defense behind him.

Yeah I mean the main thing for me is that you're able to get this guy without giving up your actual prospects, and that's fantastic. That way if you really feel like you still need another pitcher, you have the pieces to still get one in August or whatever.
I like this move.

We got a solid #4/5 in Feldman for a guy who has had chance after chance after chance in the majors to claim a spot but can't in Arrieta and a guy who simply can't be trusted in an ML bullpen on a contending team right now.

I think this is definitely a win for DD here even if Arrieta and Strop go on to have success in Chicago. We simply couldn't afford to keep putting Pedro in games right now (nor could we send him down) and I think a change of scenery will be good for Arrieta. I could see him having success in the NL with a clean slate.

Can't say I know too much about Feldman. I remember seeing him back when he was on the Rangers and he seemed like a solid pitcher. 3.46 ERA this year looks nice, although only 67 Ks in 91 IP. Don't really have time to look up too much more on him. Is he a groundball guy?

We gave Jake a ton of time to work out his issues; if the Cubs can make it work, maybe Jake just needed a change of scenery.

Even if Jakes wins the NL cy young next year, I can't sit here and pretend that I thought Jake was going to get any better in this system.

I 100% agree. The front office upgraded the rotation without giving up prospects, which is an ideal scenario. It's nice that the front office is recognizing that the team is in a position to win right now. To be honest before this trade went down I didn't think that Angelos would pull the trigger

Feldman will take the 25 man roster spot of Strop.

I guess Britton and Gausman will both be sent to Norfolk for Chen and a bullpen arm. Rauch would require a 40 man roster spot.

What about keeping Gausman as the RH bullpen am to replace Strop?

I think Buck had alot to do with this trade. In Buck we trust.

Towards the end of the spring training in 2006, Feldman was feeling confident that he was going to make the parent club's 25-man roster. A week before opening day he was called into Manager Buck Showalter's office. But instead of telling Feldman he had made the team, for the first 10 minutes Showalter and the team's pitching coach Mark Connor spoke on and on about how Feldman had had a solid spring training — but needed to work on some things. Feldman couldn't believe it but eventually thought, "Holy smoke, I’m going down [to the minors]." Suddenly, unable to continue the prank any longer, Showalter burst out laughing: "Pack your bags, rookie, you’re coming with us!"[20]

During the regular season, Feldman bounced back and forth between the Rangers and Oklahoma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Feldman

I don't like trading the slot $ though. We need to sign more international guys. That was the disappointing part for me.

Because the Orioles did so well last year they weren't going to have the slot room to make a run at the top guys. Thus gives the Cubs a little bit more to make a push at those times guys while the Orioles focus on the $100k-ish guys and hopr they can find an Eduardo Rodriguez or a Schoop in that range.

Cubs fans seem to think this is a win for them, which I have no problem with because to them, Feldman is a non-tender guy and you're getting power arms for him. I think it's probably a win-win trade, but for the O's the return is more immediate. That is.. if Feldman does alright in the AL East.

I can see that, as the two franchises are in completely different places. They are getting two power arms, but if I were them, I would be a lot more excited if they were younger. Say, if they were 22 and 23 instead of 27 and 28. There is not a whole lot of development time left there. At some point, they are what they are.

Love the trade from an Orioles perspective. Arrieta was never going to get another chance with us and we were being held hostage with Strop since we couldn't DFA him and he wasn't good enough to actually put into close games. We get rid of two guys we didn't want anymore and fixes a giant hole in our starting rotation.

Bottom line-we gave up more than we had to, but he go this deal on July 2nd, not the 31st. I think DD did exactly what he needed to do. I applaud him. Great job.

The local kid is a great story, but am I correct in saying he is a throw in? I see no value there.

Did you actually look at the slot values we gave up? Have you read about the new international signing period? Or are you just blindly complaining and ignoring the international amateurs we have signed and developed over the years?

Archived