O's Acquire Scott Feldman for Arrieta

AJismyhero

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like I'm looking at a different Scott Feldman than everyone else here.

This is a guy with a 4.6 career era, someone who couldn't manage to pitch reliably in the AL West. Someone with nearly a 5era over the past month.

How is he better than Zach Britton ?

Will be a short trip for Feldman to join the O's with them being in Chicago tonight.

I like the trade. I don't know if Arrieta will ever figure it out and you never know what you are going to get out of Strop. Not a blockbuster trade by any means but it should help. If nothing else, Feldman should be able to give us some innings.

Bottom line-we gave up more than we had to, but he go this deal on July 2nd, not the 31st. I think DD did exactly what he needed to do. I applaud him. Great job.

I don't like trading the slot $ though. We need to sign more international guys. That was the disappointing part for me.

The local kid is a great story, but am I correct in saying he is a throw in? I see no value there.

Right, pretty much a throw in, but there might be some upside with the bat. His AAA numbers are quite impressive. However, as a 27-year-old who has not hit well in the majors and apparently isn't great defensively, that is what lowers him to throw in status.

utheastern Louisiana in 2005 and planned to transfer to Texas, but a credit snafu led him to Chipola junior college, which made him draft eligible a year earlier than expected. The Cubs signed him for $150,000 as a seventh-rounder in 2006, and quickly found his infield actions lacking and converted him to catching in instructional league that fall. It took him six years to climb through the minors before he reached Chicago late last September. Clevenger excels at putting the bat on the ball. He controls the zone, rarely strikes out and has a career .308 average as a pro. He?s not a big home run threat, but he can drive balls to the gaps and has done so more frequently in the last two years. As his legs have gotten stronger from catching, he has added power. He has developed nicely behind the plate, with Tennessee manager Brian Harper (a former big league catcher) calling Clevenger one of the best receivers he has ever seen. He has solid arm strength and makes accurate throws, though he erased just 23 % of basestealers in 2011. He has improved his ability to block balls and manage a pitching staff. Clevenger has below-average speed but has more than most catchers and runs the bases intelligently. He also offers versatility, with the ability to play first or third base if needed. Clevenger profiles more as a quality backup than as a regular, and as a lefthanded hitter, he?d be a perfect complement to Geovany Soto in Chicago.

http://viewfromthebleachers.com/blog/2012/04/02/player-preview-steve-clevenger/

Did you actually look at the slot values we gave up? Have you read about the new international signing period? Or are you just blindly complaining and ignoring the international amateurs we have signed and developed over the years?

I think you know the answer to that.

I feel like I'm looking at a different Scott Feldman than everyone else here.

This is a guy with a 4.6 career era, someone who couldn't manage to pitch reliably in the AL West. Someone with nearly a 5era over the past month.

How is he better than Zach Britton ?

He can get out of the 6th inning.

Will be a short trip for Feldman to join the O's with them being in Chicago tonight.

I like the trade. I don't know if Arrieta will ever figure it out and you never know what you are going to get out of Strop. Not a blockbuster trade by any means but it should help. If nothing else, Feldman should be able to give us some innings.

Except that the Cubs are in Oakland right now.

utheastern Louisiana in 2005 and planned to transfer to Texas, but a credit snafu led him to Chipola junior college, which made him draft eligible a year earlier than expected. The Cubs signed him for $150,000 as a seventh-rounder in 2006, and quickly found his infield actions lacking and converted him to catching in instructional league that fall. It took him six years to climb through the minors before he reached Chicago late last September. Clevenger excels at putting the bat on the ball. He controls the zone, rarely strikes out and has a career .308 average as a pro. He?s not a big home run threat, but he can drive balls to the gaps and has done so more frequently in the last two years. As his legs have gotten stronger from catching, he has added power. He has developed nicely behind the plate, with Tennessee manager Brian Harper (a former big league catcher) calling Clevenger one of the best receivers he has ever seen. He has solid arm strength and makes accurate throws, though he erased just 23 % of basestealers in 2011. He has improved his ability to block balls and manage a pitching staff. Clevenger has below-average speed but has more than most catchers and runs the bases intelligently. He also offers versatility, with the ability to play first or third base if needed. Clevenger profiles more as a quality backup than as a regular, and as a lefthanded hitter, he?d be a perfect complement to Geovany Soto in Chicago.

http://viewfromthebleachers.com/blog/2012/04/02/player-preview-steve-clevenger/

Thanks for posting Grime1.

The bottom line for me is simple: did we improve our team? I think the answer is unequivocally "yes." Strop contributed exactly nothing, and maybe less than that, for two months now. Arrieta was an enigma wrapped around some debatable "stuff." If Feldman can pitch to a 3.75 ERA from here on out, I'm willing to wager he'll win another 7-10 ballgames with our offense and defense. Arrieta and Strop, either alone or combined, were not going to provide that type of production, IMHO.

And while it's of no impact currently, the acquisition of another catcher so shortly after Wieters/Boras's rejection of an extension is another little bit of admirable gamesmanship from the FO.

Eager to see how it all works out...

The Cubs are in Oakland.

Archived