Is it me or is Choo crazy? (Update: Choo to Rangers)

Greg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No matter what Choo got it would be a ridiculous amount of money. He's a solid player, but basically an OBP guy with good speed who cant hit LHP

and can play the field well. The Orioles couldve REALLY used him, but of course, NOT at the absurd price he got. I hate to say this, but if Wieters and

Davis stay with Boras, theres NO chance they sign before FA. None. Zero. Nada.

I agree with the Wieters/Davis situation. I think at the minimum we should let it be known that we would entertain offers for either. Can you imagine the fan reaction if they were traded next? Yikes! However, popular opinion isn't always the correct opinion.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>One source estimates that lack of state income tax in Texas means <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Yankees&src=hash">#Yankees</a> would have needed to be at $147M to match <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rangers&src=hash">#Rangers</a>’ $130M.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 21, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: Shin-Soo Choo turned down a seven-year, $140M contract from the Yankees, even after Jacoby Ellsbury signed. <a href="http://t.co/LDVEw326wT">http://t.co/LDVEw326wT</a></p>? Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="
">December 18, 2013</a></blockquote>

He's a nice player and all but how do you turn that down?

He got 130M in a state with no income tax,which means his deal is worth more than what the Yanks offered in terms of net income. Looks like he's not crazy after all.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Previous RT from CPA who wrote book on tax strategies for athletes. Says difference negligible between Choo TEX deal and reported NYY offer.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

So either Boras miscalculated and still made out even or Choo didn't want to play in NY.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Previous RT from CPA who wrote book on tax strategies for athletes. Says difference negligible between Choo TEX deal and reported NYY offer.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

So either Boras miscalculated and still made out even or Choo didn't want to play in NY.

Well it is a lot more expensive to live in NYC. Did that CPA take that into account?

Archived