Orioles "Appear to be the Leading team of interest" to Get Samardzija

SticksandStones

While I'm not a huge fan of Samardzija, and I'm generally supportive of Gonzalez, Miguel is clearly not as good.

Since all pitchers are not cut out to be AL East pitchers, nothing is set in stone that Samardzija will pitch as well in the AL East.

And also, like you pointed out earlier, you don't get automatic outs with the starting pitcher comes to bat.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
at this point, I am kinda of tired with all the $%$$# about the deal, either do the deal or move on.

So much time and energy diverted to something that might not even happen.

Then do something else. No one said the team is putting all of this time and energy into it.

I don't expect anything to happen within the next week or so, as it would make no sense to make a deal that would cost top prospects unless our current pitching gets better. You might want to start reading a couple of new books.

MGon has FIPs of 4.38, 4.45, and 4.61 over the last three years (counting this one). He's accumulated 3.3 fWAR in that span.

Samardzija's FIPs have been 3.55, 3.77, and 2.78 over the same period, and he's earned 7.6 fWAR in that span.

It's also useful to remember that Samardzija and MGon both became starters in 2012.

I'm not saying I like the idea of trading four players for Samardzija, but suggesting that the Cubs should add a player to acquire MGon alone is preposterous. He's not nearly as good as Samardzija, regardless of whether you consider Samardzija a #1 (or even #2) type pitcher.

There's no doubt that Samardzija has better peripherals. Those are partly boosted by his competition, but his are better than Gonzalez's even after any adjustment. Nevertheless, he has underperformed them, while Gonzalez has overperformed. I don't think it's correct to say that Gonzalez is "not nearly as good." They are different pitchers, and so far Gonzalez has produced better results.

I think I'd probably give a small edge to Samardzija when guessing which pitcher is better right now. But when you consider value, the difference in contracts gives Gonzalez a huge advantage: not only are there two extra years of control, but Gonzalez is much cheaper.

It's probably an overstatement to say that the Cubs would need to include a top caliber prospect, but I think Gonzalez is (a slightly worse pitcher but) MUCH more valuable as a trade asset due to the contract differences. Including any prospects along with Gonzalez would be a horrendous move.

While I'm not a huge fan of Samardzija, and I'm generally supportive of Gonzalez, Miguel is clearly not as good.

Granting this assessment of pitcher quality, who is the more valuable trade asset give the difference in contract status? By how much?

Then do something else. No one said the team is putting all of this time and energy into it.

I don't expect anything to happen within the next week or so, as it would make no sense to make a deal that would cost top prospects unless our current pitching gets better. You might want to start reading a couple of new books.

Okay, point taken.

as for the time and energy, I was referring to the habit we have of talking about other players in OH and how they would fit in here and nothing happens.

Thanks, CA. I can understand numbers based arguments to "narrow the gap" between MGon and Samardzija, despite my opinion that there's a night/day difference between the two. But I definitely can't understand tilting those numbers to argue that MGon might actually be better than Samardzija. As you said, that's without even getting into what seem to be pretty obvious, subjective differences in "stuff."
Since all pitchers are not cut out to be AL East pitchers, nothing is set in stone that Samardzija will pitch as well in the AL East.

And also, like you pointed out earlier, you don't get automatic outs with the starting pitcher comes to bat.

I'm actually not the biggest DIPS fanatic. In many ways I prefer ERA+/rWAR for starters myself. Quite frankly enough guys are able to outpitch their peripherals for long stretches that you just shouldn't be a slave to them. But there has to be some context in those cases for me.

Totally agree with Redskins Rick that nothing is guaranteed or even reasonably assured. Pitching is simply too volatile as compared to hitting/defense.

One think I do know (well am reasonably sure of, I guess), is that any GM proposing Gonzo for Samardzija would be laughed out of the office and likely considered a nut case.

Rather than sign Ervin Santana, I would prefer to trade some of our major league-ready talent (Eduardo Rodriguez and Jemile Weeks perhaps?) for Jeff Samardzija. The Cubs have a need for more production from 2nd base. Although it would likely be a one-year rental, it continues the "win-now" strategy.

What say you?

I'd still be interested in this.

Granting this assessment of pitcher quality, who is the more valuable trade asset give the difference in contract status? By how much?

I would say that Gonzalez has very little trade value, as I get the sense that the industry sees Gonzalez as a slight-statured, moderate-stuff guy who's out-pitched his peripherals. Samardzija has much better raw stuff and peripherals, and therefore much better scouting reports. Even with the difference in contract I'd say Samardzija would bring a far bigger return. He might well get a top 20 MLB prospect back, while Gonzalez is the kind of guy you trade for maybe a couple deeper organizational prospects.

Samardzija is all over ESPN and the MLB network, with people talking how high the bidding might go. The rest of the world views Gonzalez like we might look at... I don't know... Andrew Cashner. Or maybe Jason Vargas or something.

Archived