Roberts Must Go

Boston Dave

I really think that the only way I trade Roberts to the cubs is if Pie and Marmol are coming back, or Miller from the Indians...I don't think either of those happens. So, keep him. He's one of the best second basemen in the league, one of the best leadoff hitters, one of the best people, and a lifetime (so far) oriole. That is not something you want to give away for marginal talent.

Agree, both that these are the types of players we should target, and, unfortunately, are not likely to be offered. Gallagher is no better than Penn, Olson, Alber, Patton... and we already have plenty of those guys, at this point. Miller has ace potential and and outfield of Jones, Pie, Markakis could develop into one of baseball's best. Those players are worth trading Roberts. Anything less would be a waste.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibilities:

Roberts is traded for Cub's crapola

Roberts is traded for something really good that we need like a SS

Roberts is traded at the deadline for something really good that we need like a SS

Roberts is traded over the winter for something really good that we need like a SS

Roberts is encouraged by the advancements made by the young SP in '08 and the aquisition of a clean up hitter in FA, and extends

Roberts is traded at the '09 deadline for something really good that we need like a SS

Roberts leaves for FA, we get 2 draft picks

I think that's more than two and I'm sure there's others.

Possibilities:

Roberts is traded for Cub's crapola

Roberts is traded for something really good that we need like a SS

Roberts is traded at the deadline for something really good that we need like a SS

Roberts is traded over the winter for something really good that we need like a SS

Roberts is encouraged by the advancements made by the young SP in '08 and the aquisition of a clean up hitter in FA, and extends

Roberts is traded at the '09 deadline for something really good that we need like a SS

Roberts leaves for FA, we get 2 draft picks

I think that's more than two and I'm sure there's others.

You're conveniently ignoring the entire universe of possibilities that are even worse than the Cubs "crapola".

You're conveniently ignoring the entire universe of possibilities that are even worse than the Cubs "crapola".

It's definitely over-the-top, but the fact is 1) the Cubs don't really need Roberts and have no reason to offer a "blow me away" trade, and 2) there is no reason for BAL to jump on a deal just because it is there.

Why don't we just agree that this is not a deal that should happen? They don't fit.

It's definitely over-the-top, but the fact is 1) the Cubs don't really need Roberts and have no reason to offer a "blow me away" trade, and 2) there is no reason for BAL to jump on a deal just because it is there.

Why don't we just agree that this is not a deal that should happen? They don't fit.

The discussion continues because lots of knowledgeable O's fans think this is something the O's should take.

And I happen to agree with them that whatever is being offered now, is much more likely to go down than up 6 months or a year from now.

The discussion continues because lots of knowledgeable O's fans think this is something the O's should take.

And I happen to agree with them that whatever is being offered now, is much more likely to go down than up 6 months or a year from now.

well. If they agree on the deal now, it should be done within 6 months to a year from now...

The return we are currently looking at does not merit losing Roberts. Plain and simple. Almost definitely we will not get any of the players that might make it worth it. So, logically, keep him and try to make him want to extend.

I truly believe that Roberts is more valuable over the next two years than Gallagher, Cedeno, and Marshall will be over their careers. If someone wants Roberts, then they have to give up someone that at least has the potential to be as good or better than Roberts, since they will not be a sure thing. Marmol, Pie, and Miller all have that ability however unfulfilled their potential is up to this point. Unless you can get one of those guys or someone of equal value, then what are you doing trying to just get rid of Roberts because we must rebuild? If we are rebuilding with sticks rather than bricks, the house is going to burn down at the smallest fire. So, don't trade a brick for a couple of sticks.

The return we are currently looking at does not merit losing Roberts. Plain and simple. Almost definitely we will not get any of the players that might make it worth it. So, logically, keep him and try to make him want to extend.

I truly believe that Roberts is more valuable over the next two years than Gallagher, Cedeno, and Marshall will be over their careers. If someone wants Roberts, then they have to give up someone that at least has the potential to be as good or better than Roberts, since they will not be a sure thing. Marmol, Pie, and Miller all have that ability however unfulfilled their potential is up to this point. Unless you can get one of those guys or someone of equal value, then what are you doing trying to just get rid of Roberts because we must rebuild? If we are rebuilding with sticks rather than bricks, the house is going to burn down at the smallest fire. So, don't trade a brick for a couple of sticks.

The trick is convincing BRob to stay through a rebuilding process and paying him to do it.

I also don't understand how you can say that 2 years of BRob are worth more to the O's than an unknown amount of Gallagher or Cedeno. Even if those players are league average for 10 years, they will be worth more to the O's than 2 years of Roberts at an above average level.

Bottom line is that Roberts needs to be traded. Fan favorite, face of the franchise, whatever... he needs to go if we want to have a better chance to win in the future.

Archived