Roberts Must Go

Boston Dave

How can Murton be considered a better get than Scott?
The 3 1/2 year age difference is big. They are close though, the extra year of service time Scott has over Murton is also big, but I think Murton will eventually be the better player in 2-3 years when we're actually ready to compete, so he gets the (slight) edge.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way this team is going to be able to rebuild and move forward from their losing ways is to cut the fat. They need to trade everything that represents the last 10 years of losing baseball. Tejada, Bedard, Mora, Millar, Huff, Payton, Ramon and of course Brian Roberts. They all need to go. Yes Roberts is the face of the organization. Yes he has a great attitude about the negative side of losing, Yes he is wonderful in the community. But..BUT. He needs to go just like the rest of them. He will bring back a great return for this organization, in the form of prospects. It will allow the franchise to start over and start fresh.

Yes Nick Markakis has been around the losing, so has Loewen, and Olson and Ray and alot of other recent rookies and young prospects. But these guys are going to be the ones to show the incoming crop, how not to play and how not to react to losing or dwell on the negatives. They will bring a new energy a new chemistry if you will to the clubhouse. Roberts needs a change of scenery as well. He deserves to play a meaningful game past September. The O's need to do him that favor. It will only make his career that much better.

The Orioles will take a hit in the win column with this type of move. But in the end it will be the best move this franchise has made in the history of the Baltimore Orioles.

The division is getting better and better each year. The Rays are getting alot stronger. They have a strong farm and a good base up on the big league roster as well. The Blue Jays are going with the same blueprint as well. And of course New York and Boston are only going to get better and better. So the the Orioles cant sit back and allow the Blue Jays and Rays to improve themselves to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox. The O's need to rebuild and rebuild now. And to start that you need to get rid of the losing mentality. And Roberts has been apart of that.

Right now Roberts is not made for a rebuilding team he needs to get to the next level in his career. Maybe in two years from now when Roberts is a free agent, the O's could re sign him. But the next two years the O's and Brian Roberts do not need each other. The Orioles need to do Roberts a favor by trading him, and Roberts needs to do the Orioles a favor by allowing them to rebuild.

As Tom Cruise said to Cuba Gooding Jr. in Jerry McGuire...."Help me Help you"

He will bring back a great return for this organization, in the form of prospects. It will allow the franchise to start over and start fresh.

I completely agree. Unfortunately, what CHN is rumored to be offering isn't "great", nor does it address the teams current needs.

Only for the right price, bro.

You have to assume (based on the Trachsel, Tejada and pending Bedard deals) that MacPhail isn't simply going to give Roberts away.

I've said it before, and will repeat it now: MacPhail has yet to give me a reason not to trust him.

Other than conning the rest of the league into allowing them an expansion draft, how else are the Orioles going to restock the farm and ML teams, than by trading their (currently) valuable players of a certain age?

Peace.....you are, of course, 100% correct, but I think it is also important that the team have a little "stability" in the form of a veteran or two who play the game the way it should be played....as an example for the younger players (see DT's desire for a "veteran" pitcher). Roberts is such a player... and perhaps the only one on the O's to be such a role model. Millar may be another. But, I sure as hell don't want the new guys emulating Huff, Mora, Gibbons, or Payton, and I agree that these are guys who have to go.

Just my opinion.....

Peace.....you are, of course, 100% correct, but I think it is also important that the team have a little "stability" in the form of a veteran or two who play the game the way it should be played....as an example for the younger players (see DT's desire for a "veteran" pitcher). Roberts is such a player... and perhaps the only one on the O's to be such a role model. Millar may be another. But, I sure as hell don't want the new guys emulating Huff, Mora, Gibbons, or Payton, and I agree that these are guys who have to go.

Just my opinion.....

Fine....I think this is total bs but let's go with this...Get the stability and leadership from someone with a lot less value than BRob has.

If I was MacPhail; Brian Roberts is a player that I would trade July 31, 2008.

He is one of the top second baggers in the league, but not too difficult of a piece to move during the deadline. With his all around ability someone has to be willing to pay a higher price. Especially when you need that one piece to put you over the top.

I think mora gets a bit of a bad rap. I know his attitude has been questionable at times, but for some reason I think this stems from his pride in the O's. I think he really wants to be here, which is more than can be said for a lot of our players.

Ok well here are your 2 options:

1) You guys keep Roberts and come in last place the next 2 years and then he leaves.

2) You trade Roberts for Gallagher, Cedeno, Murton and come in last place the next 2 years but at least you'll have these guys the years after that and theres a chance they can actually turn into good players for you.

Archived