Roberts Must Go

Boston Dave

I didn't want this post to get lost in one of the others that was 10 pages long or something. So, I started a new thread after originally writing it in another thread but there wasn't anything I was really responding to, and I thought it stood on its own. Sorry if you don't agree.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fine....I think this is total bs but let's go with this...Get the stability and leadership from someone with a lot less value than BRob has.

Impossible. You need guys who are experienced *and* have the right attitude *and* who are excellent.

You need somebody who's all three. Just the first two aren't enough.

ML ballplayers are competitive or they wouldn't be ML ballplayers. Excellence matters. It's not a small optional detail.

The trick is convincing BRob to stay through a rebuilding process and paying him to do it.

I also don't understand how you can say that 2 years of BRob are worth more to the O's than an unknown amount of Gallagher or Cedeno. Even if those players are league average for 10 years, they will be worth more to the O's than 2 years of Roberts at an above average level.

Bottom line is that Roberts needs to be traded. Fan favorite, face of the franchise, whatever... he needs to go if we want to have a better chance to win in the future.

I will preface this by saying that any argument about this can only be known who is right way down the road because Gallagher et al are an unknown quantity.

However, from what I've heard about these guys/know about them, it seems to me that even if they turn out to be league average, which is probably best case scenario for both, then that kind of production is easily replaceable, whereas Roberts production even if we only have it for two years (which if we show that we are headed in the right direction, I believe he would want to stay longer), would be worth more to us.

I will preface this by saying that any argument about this can only be known who is right way down the road because Gallagher et al are an unknown quantity.

However, from what I've heard about these guys/know about them, it seems to me that even if they turn out to be league average, which is probably best case scenario for both, then that kind of production is easily replaceable, whereas Roberts production even if we only have it for two years (which if we show that we are headed in the right direction, I believe he would want to stay longer), would be worth more to us.

Last year league average players were amongst the best on our team. Don't thumb your nose at league average players!

And Gallagher could be much better than league average. He rates to be a #2 or #3. Plus there should be a third player in the deal, someone like Murton who is very similar to Luke Scott and 4 years younger.

I didn't want this post to get lost in one of the others that was 10 pages long or something. So, I started a new thread after originally writing it in another thread but there wasn't anything I was really responding to, and I thought it stood on its own. Sorry if you don't agree.

You know this thread will be merged into one of those other threads anyway...right? But, then you'll have had your 15 minutes of fame I guess.

The discussion continues because lots of knowledgeable O's fans think this is something the O's should take.

And I happen to agree with them that whatever is being offered now, is much more likely to go down than up 6 months or a year from now.

If I were you I'd agree, too. The Cubs are giving up spare parts for an upgrade at 2b...

Honestly?

A new thread for this?

:rolleyes:

Really. It should have been another thread about Erik's plane ticket ;-)

ps: Does anybody but me notice how the only time people question the point of a thread is when it goes against the tide? We can have 400 threads about who we're getting from the M's, and they all say exactly the same thing, and that's just fine. But if you question which way the wind is blowing, it's a pointless thread?

If I were you I'd agree, too. The Cubs are giving up spare parts for an upgrade at 2b...

What you call "spare parts" are known as "starters" in Baltimore.

Regardless, the quality of the offer is in proper proportion to the size of the upgrade.

If you've got something better on the table, take it.

If you think you can get better offers later, good luck; the odds are against it.

Regardless, the quality of the offer is in proper proportion to the size of the upgrade.

If you think you can get better offers later, good luck; the odds are against it.

Considering what Renteria fetched, I'm not sure why people think Roberts should get so much.

You're a class act; really.

Are any of these players starting for you? Maybe Gallagher as your #5? That is my point. You are giving up very little for an upgrade, which is great because "this is the year Cubs fans!!"

Wow, I really do not miss Chicago....

Really. It should have been another thread about Erik's plane ticket ;-)

ps: Does anybody but me notice how the only time people question the point of a thread is when it goes against the tide? We can have 400 threads about who we're getting from the M's, and they all say exactly the same thing, and that's just fine. But if you question which way the wind is blowing, it's a pointless thread?

Or if you have enough post it's ok to start one about anything and everything!

You're a class act; really.

Are any of these players starting for you? Maybe Gallagher as your #5? That is my point. You are giving up very little for an upgrade, which is great because "this is the year Cubs fans!!"

Wait, so just because we don't need a player on our team in the immediate future, that means he has no value to us? It's okay to just trade them away with reckless abandon? That's a very poor way to run a team.

Anyways, the only person I see that isn't being classy is you. He was holding a decent and reasonable conversation, and you resorted to trashing the Cubs and the city for no reason.

Archived