Orioles will be interviewing Scott Coolbaugh for hitting coach (hired)

Greg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Heard Rangers offered Coolbaugh 3 year deal to stay, but accepted major league offer from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">December 20, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Three year deal, they must have really wanted to keep him. Most coaching jobs are renewed on a yearly basis.

"When the Orioles received a 24-hour window to formally negotiate with Coolbaugh, ... Orioles manager Buck Showalter seized the opportunity. He and club vice president of baseball operations Brady Anderson met with Coolbaugh for a couple of hours in Dallas on Friday and offered him the job..."

Best. Day. Ever.

(Picks up phone, dials office) Uh sorry guys, can't come in to work today. Showalter and Brady are here and they need to schmooze me. Somebody cover my emails. Kthxbye!

It's a good hire. And while I know player talent differs from coaching talent/vacancies, I think this is why I'm not overly worried about how we're handling FA so far. It's a nice bonus that he's worked with Davis and worked well with him too. Interested in learning more about his philosophy as a hitting coach too.

Cool.....baloney. A .215 hitter as a pro. This is the best option.....seriously? Guess he'll be good at telling our young hitters what NOT to do.

If major league hitting success is the barometer, or heck just making it to the majors at all, why didn't they just hire Eddie Murray. I mean, it's not like he hasn't been fired as a hitting coach twice and his teams offensive performance improved after he left or anything like that. :rolleyes:

Cool.....baloney. A .215 hitter as a pro. This is the best option.....seriously? Guess he'll be good at telling our young hitters what NOT to do.

This brings up an interesting question: Are the best hitters the best hitting coaches? Or... are the guys who were not naturally gifted hitters better? Or... does the hitting coach really matter as much as we think it does? I honestly don't know.

But I seriously doubt our team BA will revert to .215 as a result of hiring Coolbaugh (or Coolly as Buck will surely call him).

This brings up an interesting question: Are the best hitters the best hitting coaches? Or... are the guys who were not naturally gifted hitters better? Or... does the hitting coach really matter as much as we think it does? I honestly don't know.

But I seriously doubt our team BA will revert to .215 as a result of hiring Coolbaugh (or Coolly as Buck will surely call him).

It's not just hitting coaches. It's like this in other sports too. In fact outside of Jim Harbaugh, I'm hard-pressed to think of a current NFL head coach who made the NFL. And outside of Sandberg in Philly, I'm having a hard time thinking of a MLB manager who was a legitimate MLB star. I am of the boat that guys who weren't talented make better coaches and managers. I think they're able to see the big picture more. I remember reading that Ted Williams struggled when he managed the Senators and Rangers because he just expected his players to be like him.

Archived