2015 Nelson Cruz tracker thread

Chavez Ravine

The Mariners are off to a terrific start. Congrats to them. For every three games they play, they'll win one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typical backhanded compliment. I could careless how they preform as a team. Idc how.many wins they have. My point was they won a great player through FA because a fourth, potentially, meaningless year didn't scare them from seeing what he could provide them for the years before that.

No one here can say they are glad not to have Cruz. But what they're saying is, glad wr didn't have to give him that fourth year. That's so idiotic considering its based off speculation that he won't be good.

Honestly speaking though, if Cruz was here and he duplicated his stats from last season. Would you really be upset if he had a terrible year in year four of that contract? Would one bad year really outweigh 3 or 4 years of damn there excellence?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly speaking though, if Cruz was here and he duplicated his stats from last season. Would you really be upset if he had a terrible year in year four of that contract? Would one bad year really outweigh 3 or 4 years of damn there excellence?

I think one of the biggest mistakes that analysts/bloggers/writers make is assuming that teams are worried about the final year of a contract. These players are signed with the teams knowing that the final year or so probably isn't going to be that good and that they're going to be grossly overpaying. They're willing to do that to get the production now.

In this specific case, if the Orioles were offering Cruz 3 years, then they probably are anticipating a pretty sharp decline within 1-2 years. They are probably willing to badly overpay him for 1 year, but not 2.

I think most people would gladly take 3 good years and 1 bad one, but that may not be what happens. In any case it's far too early to make any conclusions from the Cruz/Miller/Markakis deals yet.

Typical backhanded compliment. I could careless how they preform as a team. Idc how.many wins they have. My point was they won a great player through FA because a fourth, potentially, meaningless year didn't scare them from seeing what he could provide them for the years before that.

No one here can say they are glad not to have Cruz. But what they're saying is, glad wr didn't have to give him that fourth year. That's so idiotic considering its based off speculation that he won't be good.

You think winning the FA sweepestakes is more important than winning games?:smile11::2yay-thumb::rofl:

I think one of the biggest mistakes that analysts/bloggers/writers make is assuming that teams are worried about the final year of a contract. These players are signed with the teams knowing that the final year or so probably isn't going to be that good and that they're going to be grossly overpaying. They're willing to do that to get the production now.

In this specific case, if the Orioles were offering Cruz 3 years, then they probably are anticipating a pretty sharp decline within 1-2 years. They are probably willing to badly overpay him for 1 year, but not 2.

I think most people would gladly take 3 good years and 1 bad one, but that may not be what happens. In any case it's far too early to make any conclusions from the Cruz/Miller/Markakis deals yet.

I completely agree. Theres no other reason not to be willing to give a fourth year.

You think winning the FA sweepestakes is more important than winning games?:smile11::2yay-thumb::rofl:

Hahaha that's exactly what I meant. Not.

I meant they won a damn good player that will make their team better no matter how good or bad it already was.

I said they win A "player" not FA and not the WS just from sighing one player. But they made their team better with that signing. Obviously.

But I liked the smileys considering they were a nice ending to what you thought was a slick comment.

I completely agree. Theres no other reason not to be willing to give a fourth year.
The O's were willing to eat the final year of a 3 year contract but not the 2 final years of a 4 year contract. They could swallow 14 M for 2 productive seasons but not 28 M. See the difference?

I think it's understandable that they didn't offer the four years. Listen, I'm thrilled Nelson is off to a great start this year. I loved having the guy but at the same time, this really is the worst time to go hindsight about the contract. If Nelson has an OPS like he did last year and stays as healthy as he did for three or even two of the years of his Seattle deal then maybe I'll concede we made a mistake. But I think it was reasonable given Nelson's OPs last year was his highest since 2010 and he had only one year before than when he played over 140 games in a season. Plus as he gets older, he becomes more and more likely a strict DH type. I am not saying t was absolutely the right move to keep him or it was absolutely wrong to let him go but that there definitely was understandable logic in not giving Nelson that extra four year. And we also have to think about that money could be going in keeping younger guys with more upside like Schoop, Tillman, and Machado. I guess in the end, it's way too early to say whether not extending Cruz was the bad move. If he were a younger man, I'd absolutely be there with the pitchforks but at the same time this is a guy who does turn 35 this summer and will be 39 by the time his contact is up. You can't ignore that when looking at the situation.

I meant they won a damn good player that will make their team better no matter how good or bad it already was.

I said they win A "player" not FA and not the WS just from sighing one player. But they made their team better with that signing. Obviously.

But I liked the smileys considering they were a nice ending to what you thought was a slick comment.

How have they made their team better if they aren't winning games? I thought that was the point of playing them. It seems a lot of teams that won the off season on paper are having a tough time doing it on grass.

That did not seem to be the tone of your previous post.

Cruz ballin!

Congrats to the Ms for not being scared of a 4th year and getting a guy at the top of his game for what looks to be a excellent pick up.

Mean while our excellent pick up......Cabrera.

You appear to care a lot, and are giving the Mariners major pats on the back for their signing of Cruz.

Why the "Congrats to the M's" on their fearless signing of Cruz if they have a bad season overall, and go 70-92 ???

Alex Rodriguez had 3 consecutive monster seasons for the Rangers in 2001-2003, but they finished in last place all 3 years.

Would you necessarily congratulate the Rangers' owner and G.M. for their "not being afraid" to pay the megabucks (and mega-years) to Rodriguez, even though the team was horrible overall for his entire tenure with them ???

I believe that you are just looking for a way to take a dig(s) at the Orioles' front office.

I don't think that you are as excited as you proclaim to be about Cruz' hot start, or about the Mariners' willingness to sign him to the 4-year deal that they gave him.

Yet, you don't care about wins. They were 6-3 in their first 9 games last season. (all against playoff teams, btw). And now they are 3-6.

I wish him the best, he seemed like a good guy when he was here. But it's borderline irresponsible to sign a 35-year-old DH to a large, long-term contract. David Freakin' Ortiz doesn't get four-year deals, he mainly gets one- and two-year contracts, and there's essentially no argument I can think of that makes Cruz as valuable as Ortiz.

Good for Nelly - I loved having him here and am glad to see him succeed. In a perfect world with an unlimited budget, he would be hitting clean up for the Orioles this year at DH/LF. Unfortunately, the Orioles do not have a limited budget, and most of us have learned to live with that fact.

Doesn't stop me from cheering for Nelly, and also doesn't stop me from being jealous that the Mariners get to enjoy his streaks.

Yet, you don't care about wins. They were 6-3 in their first 9 games last season. (all against playoff teams, btw). And now they are 3-6.

You guys who are debating with me....If you think Cruz and his 6 HRs hasn't made them better than they would be. Your just arguing to argue.

And to this post. Go look at the difference between they're SP from last years start to this years and then tell me again that Cruz is the reason they aren't good AS A TEAM.

Machado is playing horrible, must be why the Os have a winning record. That's the same as saying the Ms have a losing record because Cruz is producing.

Archived