2015 Nelson Cruz tracker thread

Chavez Ravine

In nine games we have scored at least five runs seven times. In what universe is our offense craving Nelson Cruz?
Team Oriole leads all baseball in homers. I'll go out on a limb and say it's not a deficiency.

You can always use more good players. The Orioles would clearly be a better team with a guy who is homering every game. But at what cost? And what impact to the future?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I refuse to judge signing a 35 yr old coming off a career year to a 4/58 contract on 9 games. Get back to me in 3 years. I liked the guy and if he would have accepted a 2 year contract at that annual value (or even a little more) I could have gotten on board.

He would have been my favorite mistake.

I refuse to judge signing a 35 yr old coming off a career year to a 4/58 contract on 9 games. Get back to me in 3 years. I liked the guy and if he would have accepted a 2 year contract at that annual value (or even a little more) I could have gotten on board.

34. Five excellent offensive seasons in previous five years (including one with a higher OPS). It's misleading to call 2014 a "career year," as it suggests it was an outlier.

Cruz ballin!

Congrats to the Ms for not being scared of a 4th year and getting a guy at the top of his game for what looks to be a excellent pick up.

Mean while our excellent pick up......Cabrera.

The Mariners are off to a terrific start. Congrats to them. For every three games they play, they'll win one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great hitter versus a poor hitter? No, I do not get that comparison
A great hitter versus a poor hitter? No, I do not get that comparison

Ok so you clearly missed the point. CJ had a crazy hot streak last year where he had 5 homeruns in a week I believe. That was the point.

The Mariners are off to a terrific start. Congrats to them. For every three games they play, they'll win one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.

I wonder who many other teams were considering a 4th year for Cruz, probably none, if the reports about the Orioles 3 year deal being 2nd best are true.

I think we can revisit this in 3 seasons to see how well they are making out.

Cruz ballin!

Congrats to the Ms for not being scared of a 4th year and getting a guy at the top of his game for what looks to be a excellent pick up.

Mean while our excellent pick up......Cabrera.

Yes and they are running away with the West with their 3-6 record thanks to Nellie's bat. :rolleyestf:

Given the prices of the two players, our current needs as a team, their ages, and our salary restrictions, I would much rather have Andrew Miller right now than Nelson Cruz, even with the incredibly hot start.

First of all, I think if Buck and Dan had known he would be a Yankee, they probably would have upped their offer. Secondly, as someone said earlier, judging a 4 year contract to a 35 year old DH in April of his first year is absurd. Finally, Nelson's departure has paved the way for Delmon to get extra work at DH and for us to acquire a great player in Travis Snider who otherwise would have never been brought in.

On the opposite side of the coin, our bullpen is struggling mightily, Andrew Miller is dominating for our arch rival, our offseason acquisition of Welsey Wright is still a big question mark and Buck doesn't seem to trust the Rule 5 kid Garcia.

All things considered, I'd pass on Cruz still, even with the hot start but I'd definitely have resigned Miller. You have to pay for high quality relief pitching, sometimes as a premium, because while it isn't always as important as starting pitching, finding a CLUTCH, PROVEN reliever is not something that is not very easy at all. We are a playoff team. If we wanted to be a World Series team, we needed Miller because the playoffs is where pressure busts pipes, much like what happened with Jim Johnson and plenty of other relievers when the heat is on.

Miller was cold as ice and looks as dominant as he's ever been this year. Like Teddy KGB suggested, I would have paid that man his money and kept him an Orioles for another 4 years.

Oh well. I hope he falls completely apart for the Yankees. I just don't expect him too.

Archived