Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

I didn't like the trade but Parra passes the eyeball test so far. He looks good to me. His numbers might not be any better than Snider's but he looks a whole lot better.

Well, like with many eyeball tests, the numbers don't bear this out. I don't necessarily believe Snider is a better player, but the gap between the two certainly wasn't worth Davies.

Parra is good. The trade was bad because Duquette has set zero direction for this club.

"WE'RE A PLAYOFF TEAM!!!"

Proceeds to trade Davies for a decent COF.

Proceeeds to trade Tommy Hunter as a salary dump for a reclamation project in Junior Lake and bullpen flexibility.

Does absolutely nothing else aside from DFA the world

Meanwhile, the Blue Jays are a WRECKING BALL (cue Miley Cyrus)...and the Yankees aren't going anywhere.

And the O's are stuck fighting for scraps, i.e. the second WC spot.

Meanwhile the minors are a travesty and unless the O's open up the pocket book for Heyward, Davis and Machado, long term this club is in a very, very bad situation with 2 COF spots gone, C gone, 1B gone, DH really blah, SP spot open...

Parra is good. The trade was bad because Duquette has set zero direction for this club.

"WE'RE A PLAYOFF TEAM!!!"

Proceeds to trade Davies for a decent COF.

Proceeeds to trade Tommy Hunter as a salary dump for a reclamation project in Junior Lake and bullpen flexibility.

Does absolutely nothing else aside from DFA the world

Meanwhile, the Blue Jays are a WRECKING BALL (cue Miley Cyrus)...and the Yankees aren't going anywhere.

And the O's are stuck fighting for scraps, i.e. the second WC spot.

Meanwhile the minors are a travesty and unless the O's open up the pocket book for Heyward, Davis and Machado, long term this club is in a very, very bad situation with 2 COF spots gone, C gone, 1B gone, DH really blah, SP spot open...

Spot on, great post. No game plan or inconsistent game plan at best. One caveat: Hunter was a salary dump to enable the other moves (Bud Norris DFA) and we really didn't get a true prospect, just a potential lighting in the bottle guy.

The game plan is: let's not be too bad and slightly competitive. We don't need to actually win anything to make money, just not be as bad as we once were and people will be happy. Sound about right?

Problem is, when your top picks keep getting hurt or you whiff on them then your farm system weakens and you DO get worse.

The Blue Jays are a wrecking ball, RIGHT NOW. They traded away half their farm system for Tulo and a rental. I guarantee you that if the O's had traded a healthy Bundy and Harvey along with other pieces that 90% of the board would be going crazy right now AGAINST the front office. Never judge a team when they are on a hot streak or cold streak but that doesn't stop people from doing it.

Good post. The Blue Jays definitely, as you said, went all in. No doubt about it. They will probably pay the price at some point.

I wonder where their farm system would rank RIGHT NOW with the trades? Just curious.

Good post. The Blue Jays definitely, as you said, went all in. No doubt about it. They will probably pay the price at some point.

I wonder where their farm system would rank RIGHT NOW with the trades? Just curious.

I would guess that their farm system is STILL above ours right now.

Spot on, great post. No game plan or inconsistent game plan at best. One caveat: Hunter was a salary dump to enable the other moves (Bud Norris DFA) and we really didn't get a true prospect, just a potential lighting in the bottle guy.

The game plan is: let's not be too bad and slightly competitive. We don't need to actually win anything to make money, just not be as bad as we once were and people will be happy. Sound about right?

Problem is, when your top picks keep getting hurt or you whiff on them then your farm system weakens and you DO get worse.

I agree with this and it would make me seriously consider letting DD go after this season.

Our farm system has only gotten worse since he's came on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too soon to tell what contribution Parra will make to the O's. I was against the deal, in part because I thought Parra would produce closer to his .737 OPS career numbers than to the .886 he ran this year in Milwaukee. So far it is trending that way, but it is way too early to judge.

Too soon to tell what contribution Parra will make to the O's. I was against the deal, in part because I thought Parra would produce closer to his .737 OPS career numbers than to the .886 he ran this year in Milwaukee. So far it is trending that way, but it is way too early to judge.

Is it? It's early, yes, but as I said earlier, there isn't all that much of the season left. He's been bad and even if he hits .800 the rest of the season, which isn't likely, he'll still end the season at around .750. And that's pretty optimistic.

You may be right that it's too early. But it's definitely not "way" too early.

I agree with this and it would make me seriously consider letting DD go after this season.

Our farm system has only gotten worse since he's came on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the thing.....

DD certaintly isn't a bad GM. He also isn't the savior many make him out to be on here either. Buck should get 75% of the credit for any turnaround IMO.

Edit: what DD does well, maybe better than most anywhere, is find "nuggets" for a fraction of the cost and provide our organization with depth-that he deserves great credit for

The problem is-do we really know what Angelos allows and doesn't? What does he meddle in and doesn't? Did he say no to a 4th year of Cruz? Who knows....

This ownership group will always make it difficult to actually evaluate player personnel moves.

He is definitely on a losing streak right now though....and trading another prospect for a rental made zero sense.

Is it? It's early, yes, but as I said earlier, there isn't all that much of the season left. He's been bad and even if he hits .800 the rest of the season, which isn't likely, he'll still end the season at around .750. And that's pretty optimistic.

You may be right that it's too early. But it's definitely not "way" too early.

9 games for a position player is ALWAYS way too early. Let's not go nuts on how good he would have to be to get to a .750 OPS. There are 51 games left and he has played in 9 games. In order to finish at .750 at the same rate he has been playing, he would need to OPS .779. Hell, if he led off tonight's game with a home run his OPS would jump from .584 to .696. The eyeball test isn't great but I think it has as much if not more value than 41 plate appearances worth of stats.

The Blue Jays are a wrecking ball, RIGHT NOW. They traded away half their farm system for Tulo and a rental. I guarantee you that if the O's had traded a healthy Bundy and Harvey along with other pieces that 90% of the board would be going crazy right now AGAINST the front office. Never judge a team when they are on a hot streak or cold streak but that doesn't stop people from doing it.

Because of the injuries to Bundy and Harvey we couldn't have done what the Jays did even if we wanted to. The Padres were the toast of the off season. The A's were the toast of last year's deadline. The Blue Jays are the toast of this year's deadline. We'll see if they get a toast in October.

The problem is our farm system is a disaster because of Dan Duquette. He has done virtually nothing to sell guys at the top of their game (Bud Norris) and just keeps taking chances on AAAA players instead of helping the major league roster. He royally screwed this offseason and I'm legitimately curious if it's because of the Blue Jays debacle.