vs. ATHLETICS, 8/05

OFFNY

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you see the game earlier where they issued two IBB to load the bases then the pitcher gave up a walk off walk?

That actually worked for us one time, in the greatest game that I ever attended in person.

September 28th of 2007: The Yankees led us 9-6 going into the bottom of the 9th. They brought in Mariano Rivera in. Game over, right ??? Wrong !!!

We loaded the bases with 2 outs. It looked like curtains, except ......... Jay Payton drilled a bases-clearing triple into the gap in right-centerfield to tie the game !!! :eek: A lot of Yankee fans that were sitting near me were angrily screaming "choke" at their beloved team. :laughlol:

In the top of the 10th, the Yanks hit a lead-off double followed by a groundout to advance the runner to 3rd base, and it looked like our storybook ending would go down in flames. Not on this night. We intentionally walked the next 2 batters to load the bases, and then got the next 2 batters out managed to get out without allowing the Yankees to score.

In the bottom of the 10th, we again had the bases loaded and 2 outs. On the first pitch, Melvin Mora laid down a bunt, taking the Yankees by surprise. Tike Redman raced home, and the Orioles all mobbed each other on the field.

With that win, the Orioles eliminated the Yankees from the A.L. East division title. They still got the wild card ... but good enough. ;)

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200709280.shtml

I've noticed. You aren't the only poster I enjoy reading that doesn't post much in the game threads anymore. A lot don't. Some have sent me PMs saying as much when I try to slap us into shape. It isn't my place. I know it. I'm done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hate to see you leave. One reason I enjoy the game threads is your insigt as someone who has played the game

I fully understand what you are saying though. We won the game and the series today but the overwhelming volume of posts about how horrible the team is in every day is just mind numbing.

To me, the game thread is like sitting around watching the game with people whose company you enjoy, talking about baseball, music, making jokes and smartass comments, etc.

The glass half empty folks whose primary contribution to the game thread is nothing but hundreds of negative comments... Wow, I sure wouldn't want to hang out with people who are like that in real life. I wonder if that is how negative they are in person or if it is just a feature of their internet posting?

And it's amazing how many people think that a decent team like the Os should just show up and won vs a bad team like Oakland, like they don't have some of the 750 best players in the world on their team too. We are entitled, the win should be automatic. This isn't Ohio State vs Akron football or Duke bs Wofford basketball. Baseball just doesn't work that way. The first place Dodgers lost to the last place Phillies last night. The Nats are getting their ass handed to them by Arizona right now.

Watching the replay... I STILL DON'T GET IT!!!!!! You walk Parra to load the bases and get to ADAM??? Even tho he popped out! Even IF he hit into a DP YOU STILL GET THE RUN IN! You STILL have CD up with two outs!

What a maroon!

I honestly believe this is a big game. We simply cannot afford to lose 2 of 3 to these crummy A's.Plus, everyone else is winning lately.

Crummy As have taken the first two from Houston.

Almost as if they are a major league team or something.

Archived