Pedro Alvarez may be a fit

wildcard

Jaso's OBP may be attractive but he can't help any team from the DL. He played 53 games last year. Wrist injury. He has had repeated concussions. I don't see how the O's could count on Jaso because he is so injury prone.

But he does help a team when he is on the field. Alvarez does not.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not sure where this notion that the team is not going to spend is coming from.

Pretty basic really. We let Cruz go we have a pretty large group of guys that are FA from a team that finished 6 games out of the playoffs. Simple math and Oriole history say that this will be a difficult offseason for the O's. Projections for Davis hover around $144 million or higher. While that number is low enough that perhaps the O's sign him. Projections for Chen 4 yrs/$60 O'Day 3 yrs/$27 do not seem unreasonable, but are numbers that can easily go higher. But when these or higher numbers are thrown out, immediately following is that the O's are not likely to be the one making that offer.

Perhaps the O's spend this year. If so, I'd love to see Davis stay at 6 yrs /$144 and Chen and O'Day too. I'd be thrilled to see them lock up Manny and Schoop too. Just on three that's about $45/YR. Is it doable. Sure why not. Do you think the O's will do it?

I can't help but hope they do. I just do not have any reason to believe they will. But that's just my notion. ;)

From MLBTR:

Sounds like Dan. One year of a Boris client who is a lefthanded DH with power for some lower level minor leaguers. He is a free agent after the 2016 season.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/10/mlbtr-mailbag-offseason-trades-orioles-kendrick-howell-royals.html

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=alvarpe01&year=2014&t=b

Our new DH?

This is a depressing thread and until the offseason is over I refuse to believe the O's will follow up this run of success with a pretty straight forward admission of defeat. I'm not saying they should be signing the big boys but Brown? Goodness, I think I'd rather see Luke Scott pulled out of whatever rock he's been hiding under.

That would be an extremely disappointing offseason. How is that team any better than the .500 team we had this year?

You are replacing Davis and his .900 OPS with Alvarez who, while solid (and would be a fine addition alongside Davis or someone of his stature), should not be counted on to replace Davis' production.

Garcia is a worse version of Chen with a history of injuries. Sign Kazmir instead.

We all like O'day, but with Brach/Givens etc. on near minimum contracts, those resources should be used elsewhere.

Resigning Pearce is fine - is he starting at 1B? LF?

Dominic Brown smells like another Travis Snider signing to me, except he is coming off a much worse year than Snider's 2014.

If that is the Orioles' offseason, I would anticipate 4th or 5th place, and unlike this year, no meaningful games in September.

Jaso's OBP may be attractive but he can't help any team from the DL. He played 53 games last year. Wrist injury. He has had repeated concussions. I don't see how the O's could count on Jaso because he is so injury prone.
He played from July through Sept. and put up good numbers, seems his wrist problems were OK.

In a word, no. I think this is an interesting off season for Baltimore and I think the fact that monetarily, you think this is what the O's will be able to afford is unfortunate. I can't be the one to authorize spending money and I will resist the same old arguments about what we as fans think SHOULD be affordable. But I will say this, if we cannot spend to compete, I think it is imperative that we trade players with value before expending their time with the Orioles. Players like O'day, Davis, Manny, Matt, Hardy, Schoop ect.

MLBtraderumors has said the O's are not likely to resign Davis and we already know that. But they said players like Alex Gordon would cost the O's a record $100 Million contract and that this was unlikely also. Spending $8 million on Pedro and a RH DH may well be the route the Orioles take, but it is not likely to improve OBP and it is not likely to keep us a strong defensive club. Pitching is probably even more exposed without stellar d and the moves you hint at above, while perhaps the cold reality, will leave this club hoping for every player to max out in order for the O's to be potentially...in the hunt.

I am prepared to accept that come March. But right now, that thought is depressing.

Just because you can't spend a lot doesn't mean that you should not try to compete. Of the four teams that were in the playoff finals our payroll should be right in line. Just because the payroll is not up to the standards that a large or midmarket team would normally have is no reason to trade off the assets that are going to continue to make us competitive.

Just because you can't spend a lot doesn't mean that you should not try to compete. Of the four teams that were in the playoff finals our payroll should be right in line. Just because the payroll is not up to the standards that a large or midmarket team would normally have is no reason to trade off the assets that are going to continue to make us competitive.
Pearce, O'Day, ,Alverez, Garcia, and Brown is not competitive. Mostly lateral.

I would think that Alvarez hitting against righthanded pitching would be a big improve over Paredes.

If we go off their 2015 splits, which is an if:

Alvarez - .240/.322/.477, 799 OPS, 112 sOPS+ among left handed hitters

Paredes - .278/.312/.428, 740 OPS, 97 sOPS+ among left handed hitters

How much is that improvement worth? $8 mil? Can the Pirates eat some of that salary?

Archived