Wieters

paulcoates

When can the Orioles trade Wieters? Could they trade him in the 1st week of the season?

Just wonder because if they sign one more player to a big money contract, I would be really surprised if they assume all this extra salary. It isn't like Peter to do this.

If they trade Wieters and his $15M contract asap once the season starts, it really helps pay the other guy, if they indeed sign one more.

When can the Orioles trade Wieters? Could they trade him in the 1st week of the season?

Just wonder because if they sign one more player to a big money contract, I would be really surprised if they assume all this extra salary. It isn't like Peter to do this.

If they trade Wieters and his $15M contract asap once the season starts, it really helps pay the other guy, if they indeed sign one more.

I believe he can't be traded until June. It'll be a deadline deal if anything happens most likely.

What we want is Wieters to do well this year because that would be a huge boost towards lengthening the lineup. Wieters at his best is a better hitter than Joseph at his best. Wieters is .260/22/80 (or 3.0-ish oWAR) while Joseph is maybe .240/15/60 (or 1.5-ish oWAR).

Wieters can then turn down the next QO.

I am expecting a typical Wieters .260/.320/.740 with average defense adding up 1.5-2.5 WAR. If things break right he could be barely worth the $15m.

I am not sure another average year from Wieters gets him a >$50m long term contract at Age 31. I could see him accepting another QO if we offer it again.

Yes, Wieters is better offensively than CJ, but CJ has been crushing Wieters defensively. I expect their net production to be about the same as last year regardless of how much Wieters plays.

What we want is Wieters to do well this year because that would be a huge boost towards lengthening the lineup. Wieters at his best is a better hitter than Joseph at his best. Wieters is .260/22/80 (or 3.0-ish oWAR) while Joseph is maybe .240/15/60 (or 1.5-ish oWAR).

Wieters can then turn down the next QO.

Thus far, Wieters at his MLB worst has also been a better hitter than Joseph at his best.

In his second MLB season, Matt had a .695 OPS (90 OPS+), the worst of his career.

In his second MLB season, Caleb had a .693 OPS (87 OPS+), the better of his two MLB seasons.

It would be a mistake, that the FO has already made with other free agents to-be, not to trade Weiters, if we are not "in it".

Providing he is healthy, he needs to be dealt for prospects, even if just above average ones.

-He cannot be extended due to Machado's upcoming free agency, combined with Davis's contract.

-We have a valid replacement. Joseph isn't quite as good no, but the money could and should be used in other places.

-A chance for the O's to get some real prospects in the system.

-Potential for him to take the QO again.

I am expecting a typical Wieters .260/.320/.740 with average defense adding up 1.5-2.5 WAR. If things break right he could be barely worth the $15m.

I am not sure another average year from Wieters gets him a >$50m long term contract at Age 31. I could see him accepting another QO if we offer it again.

Yes, Wieters is better offensively than CJ, but CJ has been crushing Wieters defensively. I expect their net production to be about the same as last year regardless of how much Wieters plays.

Yet, he's never had a WAR in that range. Wieters hasn't had a WAR over 2 since 2012 when he was a 3.5 WAR player. His defense hasn't been average since 2012 so it's doubtful that he's suddenly going to get better at 30.

I could see him putting up a WAR on the low side of that range at best. Steamer has Wieters' slashing .244/.303/.411/.713 and baseball reference, using Tom Tango's Marcel the Monkey forecast has him at .256/.308/.428/.736. Add that to his average at best defense (if he's fully recovered) and I'm thinking he'll end up 1.2-1.6 WAR player this year. In other words, I don't personally think he'll be worth anything close to the money he'll make this season. Of course I'm pretty sure anyone who has read my posts this year knows that! lol

Thus far, Wieters at his MLB worst has also been a better hitter than Joseph at his best.

In his second MLB season, Matt had a .695 OPS (90 OPS+), the worst of his career.

In his second MLB season, Caleb had a .693 OPS (87 OPS+), the better of his two MLB seasons.

Wieters is certainly the better bet to be more productive at the plate in 2016. I'm hoping that Joseph will start at least 3 games a week which could keep both of them fresher and hopefully more productive. at the plate.

Archived