#3 Iowa at #8 Maryland 1/28/2016

Hallas

When Layman sets up and shoots a 3, does ANYONE think it has any chance of going in??

As soon as I see it leave his hands, I'm wo seeing who might get the rebound.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Jake is a really good 3pt shooter. He's shooting 37% after putting up 1/8 today. I'm not terribly worried about him chucking 3 balls.

The entire team missed some wide open shots today.

I watched all of the game. We really out played them and should've won by more.

Some of the calls were baffling. Both mentioned were awful, the call on Carter and then the "tie up". And the announcers saying Carter's was a make-up for the call that fouled out Woodbury... what were they watching??

I've heard a bunch of people call that a phantom call and I'm baffled. Sulaimon may have embellished a little, but Woodbury was moving his feet laterally. That's a moving pick that prevented Sulaimon getting to the ball handler. That is a foul. I don't care if Sulaimon oversold it. Dodd gets called every single game for at least 1 for moving his feet.

3 point shooting was atrocious. Foul shooting at the end was not good. Someone mentioned they were worried we were in trouble because their best player hadn't scored very much... well, neither had ours.

Oh I also heard the guys on the fan (or maybe 98 rock) saying Carter really shut down Utohff... is everyone watching the same game as me??? Or are they looking at boxscores and assuming? Carter played a little bit on Utohff, but Layman was the real hero against him. Layman was in his face all night long. Great job defensively by him.

Some of the calls were baffling. Both mentioned were awful, the call on Carter and then the "tie up". And the announcers saying Carter's was a make-up for the call that fouled out Woodbury... what were they watching??

I've heard a bunch of people call that a phantom call and I'm baffled. Sulaimon may have embellished a little, but Woodbury was moving his feet laterally. That's a moving pick that prevented Sulaimon getting to the ball handler. That is a foul. I don't care if Sulaimon oversold it. Dodd gets called every single game for at least 1 for moving his feet.

3 point shooting was atrocious. Foul shooting at the end was not good. Someone mentioned they were worried we were in trouble because their best player hadn't scored very much... well, neither had ours.

Oh I also heard the guys on the fan (or maybe 98 rock) saying Carter really shut down Utohff... is everyone watching the same game as me??? Or are they looking at boxscores and assuming? Carter played a little bit on Utohff, but Layman was the real hero against him. Layman was in his face all night long. Great job defensively by him.

I think Layman is a very underrated defender. I think he'll have a tougher time at the next level because I don't think he has the foot-speed to keep up with NBA 2's and 3's, but he's a good college defender.

First off, I'll take the win. Iowa is a good team and to beat them when your best player was not much of a factor shows the rest of your team is pretty strong as well. Sulaimon and Carter were huge last night in Trimble's absence and Layman was a solid defender, rebounder and general pain in the butt for Iowa. Stone was decent but he still needs to be more assertive when rebounding on both the offensive and defensive side.

I will say the bench has become a concern. The rotation is starting to get thinner and thinner as players like Dodd, Nickens, Checko (didn't even play last night) have become non factors off the bench though Dodd has been decent in stretches. Brantley is over his head in DIV I and Ram although a nice story is DIV II player at best who battles out there with heart. Bender has not been impressive at all and the other guys are walk on types.

In other words, this team's five starters are going to have to carry this team because the depth we thought we had is not there.

First off, I'll take the win. Iowa is a good team and to beat them when your best player was not much of a factor shows the rest of your team is pretty strong as well. Sulaimon and Carter were huge last night in Trimble's absence and Layman was a solid defender, rebounder and general pain in the butt for Iowa. Stone was decent but he still needs to be more assertive when rebounding on both the offensive and defensive side.

I will say the bench has become a concern. The rotation is starting to get thinner and thinner as players like Dodd, Nickens, Checko (didn't even play last night) have become non factors off the bench though Dodd has been decent in stretches. Brantley is over his head in DIV I and Ram although a nice story is DIV II player at best who battles out there with heart. Bender has not been impressive at all and the other guys are walk on types.

In other words, this team's five starters are going to have to carry this team because the depth we thought we had is not there.

Great point, Tony. A guy like Wiley would be a nice guy to come off the bench right now. He could create his own shots at times during a game, while being able to hit that mid-range jumper, too.

Layman had him man-to-man, and Carter was the help if Uthoff slashed. Really effective. But it was Layman that put a hand in his face every time when he chucked up those fadeaway 17 footers. Apparently he is normally money with that shot, but I have to think that Layman being his equal in terms of height and athleticism affected that shot more than he normally sees. Layman also did a good job keeping Uthoff in front of him which forced him to take the long jumper.

Archived