The Realist's View

weams

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nelson Cruz has 21 WAR in his career. Half the last two seasons at ages 33 and 34. That has to give Nolan hope when he looking in his mirror. Did I mention that Nolan is older than Nick Markakis?

Looking for career years in your mid-30s is pinning your hope on very long odds. But I suppose all these guys beat some pretty insurmountable odds just to get here.

Skeeter Barnes exists.

In 2009, in 104 games, he was worth almost three wins despite an OPS+ of just 116. With BIS numbers from bb-ref, at least. UZR took a far less favorable view of his performance, one of the biggest discrepancies I've seen (+5 vs. -12 in 2/3rds of a season).

Anyway, 2.6 wins in 104 games is 3.75 in 150. He would have had to shown some hitting growth to get near 5.

Hey, he was worth 0.6 rWAR, 0;5 fWAR in 16 games in 2012, before he dove into the stands for that ball. On his way to a 5-6 win season, for sure. :P

More seriously, my wildest optimistic hope for Reimold would be for him to be worth 2.5 - 3 wins. Which would be great.

Hey, he was worth 0.6 rWAR, 0;5 fWAR in 16 games in 2012, before he dove into the stands for that ball. On his way to a 5-6 win season, for sure. :P

More seriously, my wildest optimistic hope for Reimold would be for him to be worth 2.5 - 3 wins. Which would be great.

.960 OPS...Cruz with the bat.

.960 OPS...Cruz with the bat.

In all seriousness, he was poised to have a really good year. It's a shame he got hurt on that dive into the stands. I think the reason so many people here root for him is that he has always given 100%. It would be really sweet to see him have one season where he put it all together and stayed healthy. I'd feel great for him if that happened.

In all seriousness, he was poised to have a really good year. It's a shame he got hurt on that dive into the stands. I think the reason so many people here root for him is that he has always given 100%. It would be really sweet to see him have one season where he put it all together and stayed healthy. I'd feel great for him if that happened.

At this point I am just hoping that he makes it a race with Givens for best second round pick in recent Orioles history.

At this point I am just hoping that he makes it a race with Givens for best second round pick in recent Orioles history.

Sadly, Reimold's career 2.6 rWAR is the highest they've gotten from a 2nd rounder since they chose Arthur Rhodes in 1988. And Givens at 1.0 rWAR is second in that time frame. That is pretty pathetic.

At least we did pick Cal Ripken and Don Baylor there, along with Rhodes, back in prehistoric times. Those are the only three with more rWAR than Reimold.

By contrast, the Red Sox have picked 9 guys who have more rWAR than Reimold in the second round, the Yankees have 5, and the Blue Jays have 5. The Rays only have one, but remember, they've only been around for 20 years.

Sadly, Reimold's career 2.6 rWAR is the highest they've gotten from a 2nd rounder since they chose Arthur Rhodes in 1988. And Givens at 1.0 rWAR is second in that time frame. That is pretty pathetic.

At least we did pick Cal Ripken and Don Baylor there, along with Rhodes, back in prehistoric times. Those are the only three with more rWAR than Reimold.

By contrast, the Red Sox have picked 9 guys who have more rWAR than Reimold in the second round, the Yankees have 5, and the Blue Jays have 5. The Rays only have one, but remember, they've only been around for 20 years.

Yep, that would be why I mentioned it.

From 1999 to present the Orioles had 7 years that they had no pick in the second round.

1999 - For signing Albert Belle

2000 - For signing Mike Trombly

2001 - For Signing David Segui

2004 - For Signing Miguel Tiejada

2007 - For Signing Danys Baez

2010 - For Signing Mike Gonzalez

2014 - For signing Nelson Cruz

From 1999 to present the Orioles had 7 years that they had no pick in the second round.

1999 - For signing Albert Belle

2000 - For signing Mike Trombly

2001 - For Signing David Segui

2004 - For Signing Miguel Tiejada

2007 - For Signing Danys Baez

2010 - For Signing Mike Gonzalez

2014 - For signing Nelson Cruz

Good point. We really played the old comp pick system very poorly, giving up a second rounder to sign a relief pitcher three times. Of course, there's no telling whether we'd have done any better in those years than we did in the others where we had the pick. And in '07, we used the money we saved to draft guys who had dropped for signability reasons in the 4th and 5th rounds (Bascom and Arrieta).

Good point. We really played the old comp pick system very poorly, giving up a second rounder to sign a relief pitcher three times. Of course, there's no telling whether we'd have done any better in those years than we did in the others where we had the pick. And in '07, we used the money we saved to draft guys who had dropped for signability reasons in the 4th and 5th rounds (Bascom and Arrieta).

Really horribly. Just undeniably so.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> have signed LH reliever Hideki Okajima to minor-league deal. 40-year-old pitched for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedSox?src=hash">#RedSox</a> '07-'11, pitched in Japan last 2 yrs.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">February 4, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> have signed LH reliever Hideki Okajima to minor-league deal. 40-year-old pitched for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedSox?src=hash">#RedSox</a> '07-'11, pitched in Japan last 2 yrs.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="
">February 4, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Could be setting up for a trade involving anotherO's LH RP.

Archived