Is it time? (Matusz and Britton sign)

weams

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anybody explain to me what the difference is between Brian Matusz and T.J. McFarland? As far as I'm concerned, they're the same pitcher except McFarland is two years younger and $3 million cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could say something like Matusz had almost twice the K rate last year and an ERA+ 57 points higher while allowing an opposing OPS vs RHB that was roughly 300 points lower.

Or you know, teach a man to fish and all that.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/matusbr01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mcfartj01.shtml

Last year, the O's were at $2.2 mm, Britton was at $4.2 mm, MLBTR had projected $3.2 mm and that's where they settled -- exactly halfway in between.

This year, the O's are at $5.6 mm, Britton is at $7.9 mm, MLBTR is at $6.9 mm. I'll predict they settle for between $6.75 mm (which is the midpoint) and $6.9 mm (the MLBTR number). That's a bit more than the $6.5 mm the O's paid Jim Johnson after his stellar 2012 season where he saved 51 and blew only 3, and JJ had a comparable amount of service time to Britton.

That's why they pay me the big bucks.

Can anybody explain to me what the difference is between Brian Matusz and T.J. McFarland? As far as I'm concerned, they're the same pitcher except McFarland is two years younger and $3 million cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you tell me what's similar about them, other than they are relievers that throw with the same hand? McFarland's a sinkerballer, Matusz is a high-K fly ball pitcher who is considerably more effective overall.

It was time. It was.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Britton, orioles settle at $6.75M</p>? Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="

">February 5, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The two lefty relievers now have names again.

3 AM I have JUST now seen this!

mR8KEcd.jpg

Archived