The gloating thread

Frobby

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with you, but it should be a 3 game series at least. I still think if we ended the season earlier, then playing an NHL or NBA style playoff bracket would be optimal for MLB. This is something that should be brought up in the CBA talks, along with the DH in the NL.

Ugh, really? 16 teams in the playoffs? Do the Pirates and their 78 wins really deserve a short series where they can knock out the Cubs? In the NBA the favorites are rarely even tested in the first round, in baseball upsets would happen all the time.

Ugh, really? 16 teams in the playoffs? Do the Pirates and their 78 wins really deserve a short series where they can knock out the Cubs? In the NBA the favorites are rarely even tested in the first round, in baseball upsets would happen all the time.

How is that a bad thing? I'd love it because I think that the WC format we have now is stupid, and that the format of the NHL would be a lot of fun just like the NHL.

That is why you need to win your division. I look at the Wild Card game as an opportunity not a punishment. Back in the day you'd be out!! And justifiably so one could argue.

I'm fine with the one and done rule. But it sure would suck to lose and be done.

Buck should win AL manager of the year. Nobody picked this team to do this.

He probably should, but I expect one of the division winning managers to get it. I don't care too much, since Buck's already won one here.

I love the one game Wild Card. It is basically a play in game. If you don't win your division you don't get the luxury of more than one game. I really hope they don't change it.

Same here. A legitimate complaint prior to 2012 was that the wildcard was on the same footing as a division winner. Now it's not. The wildcard makes up for strength of schedule imbalances, but it's still not winning your division. You don't like the play-in then win your division.

I would rather go back to having 2 teams from each league. I don't see a point to all these playoffs you have 162 game season that should decide who deserves a shot. It makes the playoff race more exciting too. When you have teams that are just as likely to lose as win fighting for playoff spots it is sort of a let-down.

$10s of millions in revenues from playoffs. Maybe hundreds of millions.

And if the purity of the season is a goal why have a microscopic sample of seven games in the Series for the title? Why not one 30-team league, a balanced schedule, and whoever finishes first gets the trophy?

Where's Birdwatcher55? He bailed on the season multiple times. There's a delicious plate of postseason crow waiting for him! :);)

I gave up after the Boston collapse, but I'm still here eating my crow for breakfast! But, I watched that finish with Hyun Soo besting Osuna. Can he do it again? A resounding "Yes!" :clap3:

Didn't Keith Law and some fangraphs writers claim the O's would be some sort of all time horrible team? Wonder what they have to say now.

When will they ever learn? On the other hand, their perennial trash-talking seems to have had a good effect on the team. :laughlol:

How is that a bad thing? I'd love it because I think that the WC format we have now is stupid, and that the format of the NHL would be a lot of fun just like the NHL.

Any kind of tournament would be fun but you need to strike a balance between fun and crowning a reasonable champion and revenue equality. In basketball the favored team wins dramatically more often than in baseball. I don't really know about hockey. But in the NBA you never have a 7th-best team win it all. In baseball you'd have a sub-.500 team win it all within a few seasons. Also, do you really want to lop off 10, 20, 30 games for the non-playoff teams and basically hand that much more to the better teams who get into the postseason?

To all the posters who started threads like "The Fat Lady Has Sung," "The Season is Over," "We're Not Making the Playoffs;"

To all the posters who counted this team out, said they were not mentally tough, said the race would be over in mid-May, mid-July, or some other time;

To everyone who said the sweep by Boston was the death knell for this team;

You may now eat your crow. You underestimated this team, overreacted when they had tough times and didn't give them credit for being the tough, gritty, resilient team that they are. And you were wrong.

Amen, brother. Too many folks emo-posting and wanting to be the first to declare the season over. We at least have one more game against the hated Jays. I'm looking forward to it.

Thank you!

I think one of the most annoying things about forums is the absolute certainty that some people speak. There's one poster I'm thinking of who paints the most dreadful picture constantly of the Orioles. They'll never come back from being behind in a game thread, they don't have this, they don't have that, etc. How is it even fun being a fan if you constantly have that mindset? I love this team....162 games is a long season, you have to understand that there will be highs and lows. The Orioles weathered them in order to make it this far. That in itself is a pretty good accomplishment.

Because if these people constantly run around saying everything will be horrible, then they have the twofold effect of sometimes being right ("I warned you all!") and never being disappointed because they're perpetually miserable.

Archived