They All Break

weams

4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Injuries are no more likely in the WBC than ST...atleast that's what I was told when I brought it up.

Do we know that he hurt himself pitching in the WBC?

It seems likely but I have not heard.  He certainly didn't appear injured at any time.

Maybe it was a bullpen session?

13 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Injuries are no more likely in the WBC than ST...atleast that's what I was told when I brought it up.

It seems to me that the injuries reported in this thread are heavily skewed towards non-WBC participants. Like David Price. 

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do we know that he hurt himself pitching in the WBC?

It seems likely but I have not heard.  He certainly didn't appear injured at any time.

Maybe it was a bullpen session?

I honestly don't know. Weams said it was, so I assume maybe he had heard it was.

I know they say Smyly was overthrowing in the WBC that led to his injury.

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

I honestly don't know. Weams said it was, so I assume maybe he had heard it was.

I'd say that they reached the pitch count on that arm. That's all. I don;t think it matters where they throw that last pitch. 

13 minutes ago, weams said:

It seems to me that the injuries reported in this thread are heavily skewed towards non-WBC participants. Like David Price. 

David Price mechanics was an arm injury waiting to happen. Just a matter of time. That and the innings piling up. Look at Felix Hernandez. Only 30-31, but the innings may finally be taking a toll. Left last night's game with forearm soreness.

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

David Price mechanics was an arm injury waiting to happen. Just a matter of time. That and the innings piling up. Look at Felix Hernandez. Only 30-31, but the innings may finally be taking a toll. Left last night's game with forearm soreness.

They all break. And that last pitch, it's usually thrown in a bullpen. They all break. There is no "proper mechanics" cure. Throw hard, break. 

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Who?

I'm not being a smart ass, who is saying it?

I just read the Divish piece and it says nothing of the kind.

He had a brilliant outing, touching 94 mph with his fastball and striking out eight batters in 4 2/3 innings.  Prior to that outing, he went nine days without throwing in a game. He made two starts after returning to the Mariners camp. He threw four innings in a minor league game and then pitched four innings, giving up five runs and three against the Reds on Sunday.

He had two starts in Mariner camp after he pitched in the WBC.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who?

I'm not being a smart ass, who is saying it?

I just read the Divish piece and it says nothing of the kind.

He had two starts in Mariner camp after he pitched in the WBC.

It was on a MLB network segment. Can't remember who, maybe Byrns. I know he's not much of a source, but they had talked about Smyly overthrowing and being hyped up. I'm not saying he did hurt it there.

Pitchers are always one pitch away. So who knows.

20 minutes ago, weams said:

They all break. And that last pitch, it's usually thrown in a bullpen. They all break. There is no "proper mechanics" cure. Throw hard, break. 

I think some mechanics are harder on arms than others. Chris Sale is an example.

On the other side, Dylan Bundy has a very smooth delivery and uses his legs alot, and hurt his arm. So your right.

3 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

It was on a MLB network segment. Can't remember who, maybe Byrns. I know he's not much of a source, but they had talked about Smyly overthrowing and being hyped up. I'm not saying he did hurt it there.

Pitchers are always one pitch away. So who knows.

It's possible he heard something.

Of course right now we don't even know if he's particularly injured.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's possible he heard something.

Of course right now we don't even know if he's particularly injured.

I guess my only issue with the WBC is the players are more hyped up for it and may do something they normally wouldn't do at a regular ST game.

Other than that, your right. There's really no evidence to prove it causes more injuries.

2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I would say that is the case for hitters, but not for pitchers.

You look at how pitchers spend spring training building up their arm, going from 1-2 inning stints to 3 to 4 to 5.   Increasing their pitch counts.   Working on various pitches, command, etc.   And they often go through a dead arm phase.   And they make no effort to game plan how to pitch various hitters, etc.

I don't see how anyone can think taking a pitcher right in the middle of that process and sticking him in competitive games, where he wants to get hitters out and throw his best fastball and use all his pitches, isn't likely to have negative effects?

15 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Don't know that I agree with that. I assume pitchers in spring training don't throw at max effort all the time. I assume pitchers in the WBC are playing to win, not just tune up for the season, so they throw harder an with more purpose than ST. 

9 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

Don't know that I agree with that. I assume pitchers in spring training don't throw at max effort all the time. I assume pitchers in the WBC are playing to win, not just tune up for the season, so they throw harder an with more purpose than ST. 

I'd love to see some hard data on the percentage of pitchers who didn't go to the WBC who developed some sort of injury, versus those who did go.