Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Naw, Oakland actually taking him on at 1/10 was beyond idiotic.

My point is you have a guy that converts over 100 saves in 2 years and you salary dump him and get Jemile Weeks for him? 

It's just a consistent trend. Letting guys walk and getting little to nothing in return rather than selling high.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Although I would have rather dealt Britton personally, getting upset at Duquette for not trading him last offseason is kind of ridiculous. We won 89 games last year, Gausman and Bundy were young guys who showed flashes and we expected to take a step forward this year, especially Bundy. Have a good lineup. Dominant bullpen. If we were in "let's win mode" then you don't trade arguably the best closer in the game who is still under control for 2 years. Personally, I'd rather move a reliever like that for a ransom and hope Givens/Brach could fill in at closer and do solid but regardless...our strength is and has been our pen. Teams just don't win if we were up come the 6th/7th inning.

Hindsight is 20/20, injuries happen. It sucks. But I'm not blaming this one on DD. We also don't know that we aren't going to get a great package whether that be this deadline, this offseason, or next deadline. Seems like there's a lot of teams that want him with two teams already preparing packages...

I don't think it's too ridiculous to be upset at Duquette for going with the 'Win Now' mode last offseason. Or for going with the same minor tweaks, minor additions strategy. I don't think it took that much hindsight to see that we were potentially in trouble this season without more radical moves than we made. I know that because I said that myself during the offseason and I know others did too. 

Just now, Flash- bd said:

I don't think it's too ridiculous to be upset at Duquette for going with the 'Win Now' mode last offseason. Or for going with the same minor tweaks, minor additions strategy. I don't think it took that much hindsight to see that we were potentially in trouble this season without more radical moves than we made. I know that because I said that myself during the offseason and I know others did too. 

We weren't going out paying a kings ransom for an ace or high level starter. We didn't have the prospects to trade to get anyone that is drastically changing our outlook. We were the winningest franchise during the reg. season from what, 2012/2013 up until last year, no? Sorry, but as pessimistic or uncertain as we can be as fans, a team isn't just going to blow it up when we lost no one and had two young arms who we thought the world of in Gaus and Bundy going into this year. Most expected them to take the leap/improve while having a consistently solid starter in Gausman, a loaded pen, and a poweful lineup.

I was one of those people too that would rather have just blown it up, but Buck Showalter isn't getting any young and him and DD have contracts that go through next season with an owner that wants to win. Not sure what you expected. 

16 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

We needed another TOR type SP. But PA doesn't pay TOR prices.

19 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

We weren't going out paying a kings ransom for an ace or high level starter. We didn't have the prospects to trade to get anyone that is drastically changing our outlook. We were the winningest franchise during the reg. season from what, 2012/2013 up until last year, no? Sorry, but as pessimistic or uncertain as we can be as fans, a team isn't just going to blow it up when we lost no one and had two young arms who we thought the world of in Gaus and Bundy going into this year. Most expected them to take the leap/improve while having a consistently solid starter in Gausman, a loaded pen, and a poweful lineup.

I was one of those people too that would rather have just blown it up, but Buck Showalter isn't getting any young and him and DD have contracts that go through next season with an owner that wants to win. Not sure what you expected. 

This is a bit of a limited outlook. As a non-big market club, we have to be creative. I suggested selling high on Tillman and Britton and targeting good young arms who were currently in AA or AAA or with limited MLB experience who could potentially help now if things clicked. The Trumbo deal was obviously a bad decision but no point going there. I agree that nor going for broke (going for an ace on the FA market) nor doing a full rebuild were options, but neither was the option we took, which was basically a repeat of the last 3-4 offseasons. More radical/less conservative decisions were needed, we needed to show a bit more foresight and a bit more willingness to accept that the best case scenario option where we vastly outperform reasonable expectations might just not happen this season and if so it behooves to have a plan where this season is not another step backwards in the development of the organization in the long-run. 

35 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

My point is you have a guy that converts over 100 saves in 2 years and you salary dump him and get Jemile Weeks for him? 

It's just a consistent trend. Letting guys walk and getting little to nothing in return rather than selling high.

Yes  but they draft so well and do well in the international market, so they don't need to trade guys to get prospects.

38 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Right, but keeping him would have been an even worse move.  I'm not certain he ever had that much trade value.  I don't think he was viewed as an elite guy even with the raw number of saves.

7 minutes ago, weams said:

The Cubs gave up 9 runs in the eighth inning of a game they were ahead in...

:D :D :D

I really wish I could be a fly on the wall right now during trade deadlines like this. The bomb Roch dropped on Olney's podcast is driving me crazy. Really want to know who CHC and LAD is offering/thinking about packaging.

43 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

:D :D :D

I really wish I could be a fly on the wall right now during trade deadlines like this. The bomb Roch dropped on Olney's podcast is driving me crazy. Really want to know who CHC and LAD is offering/thinking about packaging.

What did Roch say, any hints on prospects offered?

Archived