Sammy Stewart has passed away

NashLumber

Saw it on Roch’s Twitter feed a few mintues back. Very sorry to hear. Haven’t seen anything else on it yet. Sorry to hear this. When I last read anything on him, maybe last year, it appeared he had worked out a lot of his problems after being released from prison. Rest in peace.

I think I even saw him in an interview with Tom Davis last season. North Carolina boy like me, something I didn’t know when I first learned of him years ago when he was with the team. 

Found it. Was a 2016 MASN appearance. Discussed striking out 7 straight batters in his MLB debut. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Too soon.  I remember him making an appearance at my elementary school in the 80’s.  

Sammy had a hardcore drug habit.  I hope his death wasn’t the result of a relapse. 

I hope it wasn’t either. The Wikipedia entry on him (the only news I’ve seen on this other than Roch’s Tweet) says he was found dead March 2 (today). I’d read that he had done some either alcohol or drug counseling since getting out of prison in ‘13. 

I hate to say this, but when I saw the thread title, I thought it was a bump of something that happened last year.    I thought he’d already passed — but was probably just remembering some prior troublesome story, of which there were several.

RIP, Sammy.    You were fun to watch and I’m sorry you had such a troubled life afterwards.  

I live in western NC.  He gave lessons to one of the pitchers I coached on the middle school team I teach at.  The kid and his parents had nothing but great things to say about Sammy as he shared his life experiences with him in order to give him perspective and motivation.  From what I knew, there wasn't any evidence of relapse or drug use.  Sounded like he had gotten it together and was very motivational for the local youth.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

I remember he had an amazing pick-off move to second base.  He could just turn a little, lean back, and fire the ball to second.  All arm.  Didn't step at all.

RIP, Sammy.

Yes, best move to 2B I’ve ever seen.  

I actually was in attendance when Sammy Stewart made his major league debut and struck out seven consecutive batters to set a new major league record for a debut (six actually set the record).

I was only 8-years old at the time and remember wondering who the guy was starting that second game of the doubleheader. I had never heard of him, but I obviously became of fan of him that day. 

He was always one of my favorite players because of his mop top curly hair and big mustache. He also sported an impressive unibrow for a while! 

He was probably built more for relieving then starting but he had a nice little career with the Orioles. 

BTW, I hate the fact that Sammy's picture on his baseball reference page has him in a Cleveland hat. https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=stewar002sam

Archived