Sisco is playing himself off the 25-man in today's game (Gamethreadish)

interloper

21 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Back to thread topic.

IMO

I never thought Cisco was going to be on the 25 man roster, unless he had a super duper above A+ Spring, which he hasn't.

He needs more seasoning, so being at AAA, and playing daily, doesn't surprise me.

Nor, should anybody take it as a demotion.

Do you see what he’s doing with the bat?  Ok so he’s struggling at C. Who steals bases anymore?

Sisco should be our OD DH and lead off hitter. 

The defense is going to be a work in progress. Wynns has already been optioned and Susac has a below average defensive rep. 

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Do you see what he’s doing with the bat?  Ok so he’s struggling at C. Who steals bases anymore?

The defense is going to be a work in progress. Wynns has already been optioned and Susac has a below average defensive rep. 

He's leading the team in RBIs, including Possessed Manny.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Go ahead and steal all the bases. Lester has made a career of letting that happen. Just call a good game and hit a double with the bases loaded when needed.

I'd roll with Joseph and Susac to start the season.  Let Sisco catch every day in Norfolk and continue to work on his skills behind the plate.  Then, depending on how Joseph and Susac or doing, bring Sisco up either for the 2nd half, or possibly even wait until next season and give him every opportunity to beat Joseph out.

6 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Why do we need a third catcher if Sisco is backup/DH? Why can’t he catch every fifth day and DH occasionally? Why do we need another catcher?

Because you lose the DH if he has to come into the game to catch  Like if Caleb gets hurt or you need to PH for him or you go extra innings..

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Turned a wild pitch into an error, threw it down the 3rd base line, run scored. Had the runner dead to rights.

Had another runner dead to rights in a rundown, he hesitates, throws late to 2B, pulls Manny off the bag, runner is safe.

Had him picked to the backup catcher all spring, but he might have just guaranteed himself an option to AAA after the game.

Couple of awful, in-between, hesitating plays. Can't do that up here. 

Well I don't know. I think it would depend on how he has been doing the rest of ST. 

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

Well I don't know. I think it would depend on how he has been doing the rest of ST. 

He's been mostly fine, I guess. But I also don't think these opportunities to get easy outs on the basepaths have come up this spring.

I think it’s a tough call between Susac and Sisco.    Sisco certainly looks ready to hit major league pitching, and I think his defense is fine except his throwing.    His throwing sucks, but according to some math I did a few weeks ago, would have a pretty minimal impact on runs allowed.    Meanwhile, he’s a beast with the bat: .419/.470/.929 this spring.

Susac had trouble getting on the field due to illness, but also has hit extremely well: .462/.579/.769.    I recall he had a rough first game defensively, but haven’t heard much about his defense since then.   My assumption is he throws better than Sisco, based on his 35% CS rate in the minors, 25% in the majors.    

My gut says Sisco makes the team and they only carry two catchers.   It’s not like they can’t make changes if the initial decision doesn’t work out as hoped.   

Just now, El Gordo said:

No No one game is all you need to see. Off with his head!9_9

In fairness to myself:

1. He's been my pick as backup catcher all spring

2. I've already said my post was a bit reactionary

3. This is one game, yes, but we have many, many, many more games of Sisco making bad throws. It's the fact that this game confirms that he's still very bad at throwing the baseball that is bothersome to me. And the hesitation he showed doing so. 

Archived