Trumbo getting hot

ChuckS

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I really, really, really dislike Trumbo. Not only his game, he looks sour all the time. When the history books are written, I would be curious to know from people on the inside whether his deal was DD, ownership, Buck, or Brady. Not quite as egregious as Davis, but a terrible deal that gets even worse in hindsight.

Plus he is anti-pie, evil!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread has me thinking about the next set of pieces to go.

Possibly Jones in August and maybe Cashner.

Then between the offseason and 2019 deadline;

Trumbo and Villar will have value if current 2018 production holds through then.

I could see Mike Wright, Beckham and Givens using their expanded role to gain value.

Finally, I expect Joseph and Cobb to be better next season (couldn't get much worse). Which could lead to them having value for the right team.

I pray for C Davis to regain any form of his old self. It's not impossible, but at best we are eating money to get rid of him and even that may take a few years.

2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Cool. On the same page. I have often said they could also just melt down all of Davis’ unsold merch and dump it at the bottom of the bay and have a fish reef. Tax write-off. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty sure that stuff is toxic.

Old Bay fixes a lot of ills. 

2 hours ago, capyy said:

might as well keep davis and trumbo around. someone has to play while prospects develop. home runs are exciting.

If Trumbo were able to pitch or play middle infield or third base, I'd agree with you. But there's quickly becoming a logjam of near-mlb-ready outfielders and 1B/DH types in the Orioles organization.  Need to free up some space for the younger guys.  

Did you guys not enjoy Trumbo's five(?) dingers in a week just before the all-star game?  He has hot streaks now and then.  I personally love screaming, "Trumbo Jumbo!" from my office when things are going well.

I can't see him going anywhere.  But my heart won't be broken if he does.

For everyone imagining Chris Davis "taking a buyout," tell me when anything like that has ever happened?  Plus, he is still a plus first baseman with the glove.  Nothing Mancini has done defensively shows me otherwise. With Mancini's drop-off at the plate this year, is the only reason you are looking at him to replace Davis at 1B is for salary relief?  Can't see it happening.

6 hours ago, Big O said:

I pray for C Davis to regain any form of his old self. It's not impossible, but at best we are eating money to get rid of him and even that may take a few years.

It would take a major miracle to get out from under Davis' salary. I think the Blue Jay's did it with Vernon Wells in a similar situation. I don't see that happening again however.

No sense in starting the clock of anyone you don't have to next spring. I think there is a decent chance Trumbo has a Trumbo like first half if we can get him to opening day healthy. 

You just let the channels know he is availble and jump at the 1st chance to move him.

The situation with Davis is much more complicated. I would let him rot in the last roster spot and play a man short. We've done it with some rule 5 guys. 

Tell him he's not going to play and you'd like to negotiate a buyout. If Davis' had any sense of pride and dignity he will want a way out even if it means retirement.

To answer the earlier question of when has it ever happened.....When has a team ever stopped using one of these guy with years left? You can't just sell him on the buyout.....you have to do the other part and be committed to it.

The crazy thing about Trumbo is his numbers are demonstrably better when he plays RF, vs 1B or DH.  So making him full-time DH doesnt work any better.  You make up for his defensive liability, but you lose the bat, which is all he's good for.

Since he's been an Oriole, he's got an .877 OPS when he plays RF.  These numbers were as of a couple weeks ago.

As a DH:

2016: .243/.296/.496   .791 OPS

2017: .207/.268/.367   .635 OPS

2018: .223/.291/.386   .677 OPS

As a RF:

2016: .267/.332/.556  .888 OPS

2017: .331/.368/.508  .876 OPS

2018: .316/.361/.509  .869 OPS

We have three guys in MancIni, Trumbo, and Davis with only one that has any shot of being part of the future.  I’d move Mancini to 1B, until we have a legit prospect play Davis at 3B, and let Trumbo DH until we have a better option.  We need to find out if Mancini is part of the future or not.  Play him at his best position and let’s find out.

9 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

Now that the rebuild is in full swing, please for the love of God get Trumbo off this team.  

I don't have anything against Trumbo personally, and actually think he's been a useful batter this year.  

But his OF defense is horrible, and at the one defensive position he can play competently, there's two other guys on the roster who probably aren't going anywhere anytime soon. 

Even worse, he's forcing Mancini to left field, which he is horrible at.  Worse than that, his slot on the roster is blocking outfield prospects like Mullins (and next year, he will be blocking Hays, Diaz and/or Stewart).  

By hook or by crook he's gotta go.  Sure, he's been better than Davis and Mancini.  But we can't do jack with Davis, and Mancini still has his whole career ahead of him and can hopefully return to the batting form he had last year.  Even if we have to eat some salary, I hope we can do a deal with someone, anyone, to get him off this roster so we can give some of the young outfielders a shot.  Or even just to finally get Mancini out of left field, that alone makes it worthwhile.  And the sooner the better.  

Relax we are locking up the number one overall pick!

4 minutes ago, brooksfrankjim said:

We have three guys in MancIni, Trumbo, and Davis with only one that has any shot of being part of the future.  I’d move Mancini to 1B, until we have a legit prospect play Davis at 3B, and let Trumbo DH until we have a better option.  We need to find out if Mancini is part of the future or not.  Play him at his best position and let’s find out.

Davis would sit on my bench if I was coaching. I would have him showing up to warmups early and have him bunt against the shift. When he proved he could do it, then he would see some playing time. Mancini would be given 1B and Davis and Trumbo could share DH.

Archived