Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

I think we were spoiled a little by the first two trades of the offseason. There are no blue chippers here, but there's some potential. This becomes a solid A- if that slot money turns into VVM. It's all about context.

Also, I don't mind excising Gausman. Maybe he finds himself in ATL. But if we're really honest about what he's been with the O's, it's that he's been a tease.

The guy is at his best when the season is already over. And I've never seen a pitcher blow leads as consistently as Kevin Gausman. Sometimes it felt like clockwork. If the O's got him a lead, he'd just give it back.

I voted C.  It really could turn out as an A if we use the international bonus money to sign Mesa.  On the other hand, if we don't sign Mesa it could be an F.  Thus, I averaged the two grades and came up with a C....

6 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

I like that they unloaded O'Day (as much as I appreciated everything he did here) and that they got back a whole lot of international slot cash, but I'm not overwhelmed by the players coming back.

Yeah this. I give it a C-

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

F.

Terrible trade, they leveraged Gausman's value into dumping O'Day's salary. They didn't need to trade Gausman and none of the players coming back look to be impact Major League players.

I also don't believe that the Orioles will use all of their international money, most of the good players have already signed, and international scouting is a long game not one you can dive into at the drop of a hat. I don't think that this $2.5 million is the difference in acquiring VVM and not acquiring him, they already had the most money.

Then why did they make the deal? What good is the Int money? 

People seem to act like Gausman was Cy Young. A 39-51 career record isn't good no matter how you slice it. Yes, he has skills but I think he also was a bit of a head case and never put it together here. I wish him well but we made the right move. And, if the international money helps you get Mesa, it's a very good B+ deal.

Edited by gtman55