Next Hall of Famer

waroriole

20 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Are there any MLBers in the HOF who don’t have logo of a team on their plaque? I’m not aware of any, but I’ve never bothered to check.  

I remember Boggs trying to get the Rays on his plaque because of a financial incentive before MLB intervened.  

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Having no logo on a cap is a bad move.  I'd rather have him have a Yankees logo than a no logo.

Hats with no logos are for creepy people who drive sketchy white vans.

I haven't gone back and looked at all the plaques, but lots and lots of players have no logo.  Prior to the 1910s, maybe 1920s, most nicknames for teams were informal and changed with some regularity, at least in some cities.  So there was no logo to be had besides maybe a letter representing the city.  The 1890s Orioles generally had a block "B" on the shirt and a either a blank, solid colored cap or sometimes a pillbox style hat with horizontal stripes.  

Willie Keeler has a B on his cap on his plaque, but I'm pretty sure that's for Brooklyn from later in his career.  Joe Kelley has no logo, just the striped pillbox hat. It's hard to tell, but I think Uncle Robbie's is blank.  Old Hoss Radbourne's is blank.  King Kelly is hatless.  Sam Thompson... no logo.  Dan Brouthers, also hatless.

9b5e632a-67b6-459b-86d5-10119dbc4a3a_lg.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't being serious.

The forces that put Baines in won't apply to Markakis.

We'll always talk about how "If Baines gets in than that means Rusty Staub will definitely go in!"  But the flaw in that is the idea that Baines got in on the quantifiable aspects of his playing career.  Baines got in because his buddies and owners and managers were on whatever they're calling the new Vet's Committee.  The only precedent they're following or setting is that in five, 10, 15, 20 years they're going to keep inducting players that people on random committees like who otherwise wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell on merit.

That's the most consistent thing about Hall of Fame selections: like clockwork they induct players who make no sense whatsoever.

17 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

Good conversation. Gammons made a good point how Moose and Schilling have similar stats but have different miscellaneous factors that may determine votes. 

Similar stats from a career perspective, but very different shapes.  Mussina basically went 18-10 every year for almost 20 years, had 10+ wins and a winning record 16 out of 17 years.  Schilling took a while to get going then had a tremendous peak, but had any number of years scattered throughout where we went 2-8, 8-8, 7-5, 8-9.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Similar stats from a career perspective, but very different shapes.  Mussina basically went 18-10 every year for almost 20 years, had 10+ wins and a winning record 16 out of 17 years.  Schilling took a while to get going then had a tremendous peak, but had any number of years scattered throughout where we went 2-8, 8-8, 7-5, 8-9.

You are your pitching wins...

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Right. They were talking about Moose being a model consistent pitcher. I used to be more iffy on Moose but I’m for it now. He deserves it. I’d take Schilling too.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Halladay 16 years, 203-105, WAR 64.3, ERA+131, 7 top-5 CYA, 5 wins CYA
Mussina 18 years, 270-153,WAR 83.0, ERA+123, 0 CYA 6 top-5 CYA, 0 wins (2nd to Pedro), 7 GGs

One is a slam dunk for first year; the other waits 6 or 7 years.

Unfortunately Halladay got a boost to his candidacy.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Halladay 16 years, 203-105, WAR 64.3, ERA+131, 7 top-5 CYA, 5 wins CYA
Mussina 18 years, 270-153,WAR 83.0, ERA+123, 0 CYA 6 top-5 CYA, 0 wins (2nd to Pedro), 7 GGs

One is a slam dunk for first year; the other waits 6 or 7 years.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Unfortunately Halladay got a boost to his candidacy.

Yes, he did. But this kind of thing makes the process look skewed to say the least.

Prompted by this thread, I was looking at the 40-man rosters of the AL East... I was trying to break down all five teams into Hall of Fame players:

New York has a sure fire one in Sabathia, and maybes for Stanton and Judge. I think Tulo and Chapman are short. We can discuss Gardner and Ellsbury, but both are pretty short. Lots of names in the bullpen like Britton and Betances but being relievers it's hard to see the Hall treating them nicely.

Boston has Pedroia and David Price, while Sale and Betts still have time carve out their names. J.D. Martinez is short. Porcello is a one hit wonder.

Baltimore has literally no one. Blue Jays have no one. Tampa Bay has no one. Discussions about Chris Davis, Alex Cobb, Charlie Morton, Tommy Pham, Kevins Pillar and Kiermaier, Marcus Stroman, and Blake Snell (who has 8 career fWAR and a Cy Young). It's crazy how bad this division will be next year.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

We'll always talk about how "If Baines gets in than that means Rusty Staub will definitely go in!"  But the flaw in that is the idea that Baines got in on the quantifiable aspects of his playing career.  Baines got in because his buddies and owners and managers were on whatever they're calling the new Vet's Committee.  The only precedent they're following or setting is that in five, 10, 15, 20 years they're going to keep inducting players that people on random committees like who otherwise wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell on merit.

That's the most consistent thing about Hall of Fame selections: like clockwork they induct players who make no sense whatsoever.

It’s ridiculous that a 75% vote is required of about 400 BBWAA members to get into the Hall, but then 75% of the whopping 16 voters on the Today’s Game Era Committee will achieve the same result. As they did with Baines and Lee Smith. But by that token, it’s equally ridiculous that I would even get worked up about who gets elected to the Hall anymore than I would care who gains entrance to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, or wins a Peoples’ Choice Award. 

Archived