Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

I think Mancini is a little young to be relegated to a career DH role. 

I don’t like him in the OF at all, especially with the number of OFers in our farm system, but I think he could play a passable 1B.  

I’d make Davis a DH against righties to start 2019. If he continues to play historically bad, and no one will take his contract regardless of how much money we eat or how much we sweeten the deal, then cut him. 

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In an ideal world they have someone better than Mancini.

Yes we know you hate Mancini and think he is awful no matter what.  However let’s look at his two seasons by pre all star and post all star.

2017 pre all star 

.312/.354/.892 14 homers.

2017 post all star 

278/.324/.766 10 homers

2018 pre all star 

.216/.292/.655 12 homers

2018 post all star 

.299/.327/.862 9 homers with month left.

Which of those 4 is an outlier.  Mancini is plenty good enough to a nice piece on a winning team at DH or 1st. He should not be punished because we have Davis and Trumbo.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

Yes we know you hate Mancini and think he is awful no matter what.  However let’s look at his two seasons by pre all star and post all star.

2017 pre all star 

.312/.354/.892 14 homers.

2017 post all star 

278/.324/.766 10 homers

2018 pre all star 

.216/.292/.655 12 homers

2018 post all star 

.299/.327/.862 9 homers with month left.

Which of those 4 is an outlier.  Mancini is plenty good enough to a nice piece on a winning team at DH or 1st. He should not be punished because we have Davis and Trumbo.  

I don't hate anyone and I don't think he's awful.  I just don't think his bat is good enough to be a DH and I don't think his glove works at first or in left.

The phrase "ideal world" was being used.  Do you think that, in an ideal world, Mancini should be a starter?

15 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I’d give him a month or two next year.  I’d also try and pull a Chris Tillman and send him to the DL with a “strained oblique.”

I wouldn’t cut him. It’s worth spending some money and time with a focus on changing his approach in the offseason, especially if we have a new manager and hitting coach.

Hopefully he’s embarrassed/motivated enough to be receptive to help.  Even if he doesn’t change he might revert to something resembling the old him and be dealt for anything (with his salary being paid) of use next season.

Failing that I’d sit him on the bench and see if he retires. Or maybe he gets injured.

If one of the young guys destroys spring training and he’s really in the way then maybe let him go but only as a last resort.

I want Davis off the team any way it can be done. None of the options work for me so I'm Other, I guess. Weams says no buyouts but I'm not reducing what he is owed. Isn't it still a buyout if you add the $92 M to the deferred money and negotiate a longer payout period. Maybe a structured settlement? Adding both pots of money together is $110 M, pay $5 M/yr for 22 years, just get him the hell off the roster. If he refuses, park him on the bench, never to see the field, he is a Rule 5 player.

5 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I want Davis off the team any way it can be done. None of the options work for me so I'm Other, I guess. Weams says no buyouts but I'm not reducing what he is owed. Isn't it still a buyout if you add the $92 M to the deferred money and negotiate a longer payout period. Maybe a structured settlement? Adding both pots of money together is $110 M, pay $5 M/yr for 22 years, just get him the hell off the roster. If he refuses, park him on the bench, never to see the field, he is a Rule 5 player.

Again. Why would Davis do that? Just take it as it is written. 

I'd start talks now about a buyout and tell him they will finish out the season giving him opportunities to improve and the off season to think about things.  If he insists on another Spring Training let him go to Spring Training and see if any off season changes have helped him and make a decision by mid summer.  He might consider a buyout and just retire and go back home to Texas or show enough to be able to trade him with us paying part of his remaining salary.

1 minute ago, section18 said:

I'd start talks now about a buyout and tell him they will finish out the season giving him opportunities to improve and the off season to think about things.  If he insists on another Spring Training let him go to Spring Training and see if any off season changes have helped him and make a decision by mid summer.  He might consider a buyout and just retire back home in Texas or show enough to be able to trade him with us paying part of his remaining salary.

He does not need to retire. He gets the money and a new team gets him  for whatever they want to pay him. 

This is truly not about Davis. But about what precedent that Scott Boras will allow you to stick to his name.  Unless you want to do a Bobby Bonilla deal with a guaranteed 8% return on deferral, I bet the mention of this is dismissed. Not negotiated. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Again. Why would Davis do that? Just take it as it is written. 

He would have a $5 M/yr annuity for 22 years, be free to go to any team that would have him, and potentially make more money. If not he is a bench here warmer suffering humiliation for 4 years. Those are pretty strong motivations to me.