Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

21 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

He definitely looked more confident.

Yes, and I think Bordy nailed it (and I translated what he actually said into Bordese), "the former Crusher got a cookie and he turned and burned on it!"

Edited by bobmc
Bordese

7 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Funny I got this feeling watching Davis today that he;d figured something out. He seemed more confident less confused,.Had better AB. Who knows.

Totally agree. He hit everything pretty hard and looked... well, "hitterish" (I know...) in the box. Just seemed a little more aggressive in his body language up there. Maybe I was imagining it. Even so, all balls were hit in the air and for Davis, that's what you want. 

7 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Funny I got this feeling watching Davis today that he;d figured something out. He seemed more confident less confused,.Had better AB. Who knows.

Encouraging to hear. I think what goes on between the ears is a big deal in sports (even though it can't be measured). It's unlikely for him to bounce back, but not impossible. 33 is not young, but it's certainly not too old to still have baseball athleticism and by all means he's in good shape. If he gains some confidence somehow, I wouldn't be shocked if his results are quite a bit better. We are humans after all, not machines. 

Edited by Bubble Buddy

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Davis has adopted a line drive approach that uses all fields.  He is 3 for 9 (.333) in his last 4 games with 3 walks. That gives him a .500 OBP.  His hits are all singles and he has  2 RBIs in that time.

Its a start.

Crisp (linedrive) Davis

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm good if he makes himself into a singles hitter with 18 homers.

No, I don't think that is where this is going.  He does line drives all over the field for a while.  Spreads out the fielders and then goes for the homers.  Long may have him use two swings.  And yes I think Long is behind all this.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

No, I don't think that is where this is going.  He does line drives all over the field for a while.  Spreads out the fielders and then goes for the homers.  Long may have him use two swings.  And yes I think Long is behind all this.

You are suggesting that a bunch of Davis line drives is going to change how teams play Chris Davis? And that once they do, he'll start swinging for the fences?

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

IMHO the idea is for him to relearn how to hit and once he's comfortable with it his natural power will take over and some of those singles and doubles will turn into home runs.