Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say, Hyde has had a pretty exciting first week at the new office. Goodness.

One subtlety lost in the possible no-no: when Bleier got into trouble, Hyde made a panic move and got Castro warming for seeming no reason. Toronto announcers remarked "It's too late. If you wanted him in the game, you should have had him warming a few batters ago". He did the same thing in New York. When he brought Wright into the game, he also got Fry up even though there was no scenario that he would actually need to use him.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

He wasn't on full rest, it was going to take 110+ to finish it, Hess didn't look pissed off by it, it's a move that took guts, a hard move, but probably the right move to stick with what I'd assume was a pre-determined pitch count. 

And that's why I hate pitch counts. And so do a lot of guys that pitched in the ML.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If it was one out in the ninth I'd budge and agree with you.

But he wasn't going nine.  I don't see the difference between 6 1/3 and 7.

Why bring him out to start the inning then?  What's the difference between 6 and 6 1/3?

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I could have happily waited for the 6-run deficit.  Araujo's arm has enough potential to try developing it in the minors.  Meanwhile under the circumstances I think a strong case could be made for not here, not now.

I need convincing he's worth a spot on the 40.

I think he's the type of guy you can pick up for cash considerations or International slot money any time you need one.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I have to say, Hyde has had a pretty exciting first week at the new office. Goodness.

One subtlety lost in the possible no-no: when Bleier got into trouble, Hyde made a panic move and got Castro warming for seeming no reason. Toronto announcers remarked "It's too late. If you wanted him in the game, you should have had him warming a few batters ago". He did the same thing in New York. When he brought Wright into the game, he also got Fry up even though there was no scenario that he would actually need to use him.

When did he start Castro warming? Was it after the line drive off the knee or one of the hits? Either way it’s the dreaded “dry humping” that Buck was always vocal about avoiding, but I think it’s more understandable if he’s worried Bleier might be hurt. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I need convincing he's worth a spot on the 40.

I think he's the type of guy you can pick up for cash considerations or International slot money any time you need one.

Sold.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Why bring him out to start the inning then?  What's the difference between 6 and 6 1/3?

To me, it was how he looked that inning.    Fastball down 2 mph and the hitter smacks a screaming liner that happens to find a glove.   He missed his spot on 1-2 pitches in that at bat.   

The last thing this team needs is to put stats and individual milestones ahead of the team and organization.

Hess pitched 2 innings 3 days ago. If he gets hurt, what do they do? I mean their 5th “starter” is a 2 inning reliever as it is already. They can’t afford to lose Hess. 

Archived